1 (edited by superdrive 2021-02-03 16:59:36)

Topic: Clipping signal shown (AN) on Meter levels when playing DSD

Hi,

I see signals on AN channels in Level Meters, and they are clipping when playing DSD over USB.

Sounds are fine from speakers. But something must be happening internally. Is this a normal behavoir?

Thanks

Please see the screenshot : https://www.dropbox.com/s/0b2ojbz0hgk43ht/IMG_6141.jpeg

2 (edited by terrys999 2021-02-03 21:26:03)

Re: Clipping signal shown (AN) on Meter levels when playing DSD

Some dsds are HOT.
Classic dsds seem ok.
But some clip.
Do what I do, switch off direct dsd  then lower volume 3 db.

I have around 3000 sacd and dsd tracks 10% show clipping. I just let the adi convert to pcm then lower 2 or 3 dB

Pentatone and living stereo dsd  sacd are either recorded to dsd or from analogue to dsd. Keeping max gain to around -3 dB give or take.

More modern album tracks were  pcm  then converted to dsd  they are recorded to hot. Too much gain.

I find all rock and pop are recorded with too much gain
Just turn off dsd direct and lower dB.

For me, any signal is shown as clipping.

superdrive wrote:

For me, any signal is shown as clipping.

That shouldn’t be!
Lower your dB -3
And lock volume for rca out.

If a signal is clipped in the recording there is nothing you can do about it.

Lowering the volume doesn’t repair the signal, you can just leave it as it is with no extra negative effects.

Nobody looked at the screenshot? None of the above explains (nor in any way relates to) why the ANALOG INPUTS clip when doing a DSD playback via USB.

What is connected to them? And does it stay like this when removing the analog input cables from the unit?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by superdrive 2021-02-04 10:46:45)

Thanks Matthias.

There were two unbalanced Mogami cables connected to ADI-2 Pro's Analog ins, (but no equipment was connected on another end,
so there should be no signal) but interestingly, the signal just disappeared when I disconnected cables. Now it stays ok even with cables connected.

But this is not the first time I see this. This signal on AN channel was present (only visually) when playing DSD or ADI-2 Pro was in DSD mode. Not while on PCM. Switching to PCM makes signals on AN channel disappear. (which is normal)

Perhaps some error on detecting input signal?

Thank you.

Using DSD the sample rate of the ADC changes to - here - 352.8 kHz. This makes the input very sensitive for any kind of noise, EMI and RF. Also even with no cable connected the levelmeters start to show low levels of (inaudible) high frequency noise. So far everything as usual.

To cause full overload with open cables requires some really bad environment, though. Never have seen this. But now you know how to reproduce it, so you can find out more.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by superdrive 2021-02-08 11:24:24)

Ok, this happened again. And this time nothing is connected to Analog 1/2 but the Level Meter on Analog 1/2 is shown clipping. (please see the screenshot)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ylikli5s4tgi3 … .jpeg?dl=0

The sound is fine. This happens with DSD only. Switching to PCM makes it disappear.

Unfortunately I don't know how to reproduce this. Restarting the unit sometimes helps.

Do you think my unit is broken and needs to be repaired?

The unit is on which firmware? Note: 'Latest' is no firmware version.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by superdrive 2021-02-08 13:46:04)

The firmware version is 238/98. (Latest smile )

Also when this happens, if I "monitor" Analog 1/2 as source, there is no audible sound I can hear but spectrum analyser is showing signals like the following screenshot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6k4xrts95brs1 … .jpeg?dl=0

Please provide the same screenshot from the 'Analog Input' while in this screwed state. Thanks.

Then go to I/O - Analog Input - Settings - AD Conversion (at the bottom) and switch it to PCM. That should remove/empty the level display.

If so something is wrong with this unit, but I can't say what, as I never saw this kind of error before.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

14 (edited by superdrive 2021-02-09 18:19:37)

Hi Matthias

Switching to PCM will empty the level, but it's still happening with DSD playback randomly.

I will take a screenshot of Analog Input next time it happens.

15 (edited by superdrive 2021-02-09 18:19:51)

FYI, Here are settings for Analog Input;

Analog Input is set to +13dBU

Auto Ref level = off

Trim gain left / right = 2.0dB

AD Filter = Slow

AD Conversion = was DSD (now PCM)

> Trim gain left / right = 2.0dB

Please set these to 0 dB temporarily to see if that is the triggering issue.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

17 (edited by superdrive 2021-03-02 17:47:08)

Hi Matthias

It took me sometime to reproduce this issue, but here I took some photos just today.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oyvwm5o0ieq1 … 81cna?dl=0

IMG_6260 is the one you requested, from the 'Analog Input' while in this state. Other photos show more informations about this state.

The device is set to DSD64 playing a DSD file and there are static/white noises seen and heard on Main Out 1/2, Phone 3/4.

The device goes back to Normal (no noise) when playing PCM. I also included a video file and you can hear the noise in the background and it changes when I playback PCM.

Power-cycling ADI-2 Pro solves the issue most of times, but I would like to find out if this can be fixed.

Thank you.

Your photos and the video throw up more questions than they answer.

- Why does the unit indicate Multichannel mode (6/8)? Typically for DSD usage is Stereo mode.

- The Analog input photo shows nothing wrong

- Nor do any of the other photos

- The noise in the music is the DoP signal, which sounds like low volume music with noise (mentioned in the manual). So there is a problem because the DoP header is not detected correctly. Or does not get send at all.

- When you change from 176.4 kHz DSD to 44.1 kHz PCM, logically the music is now PCM and no longer DSD (with noise).

- I thought the issue is 'analog input level meters going crazy'. Instead we now see a DSD playback problem?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

19 (edited by superdrive 2021-04-04 11:39:10)

Hello Matthias,

It took me a bit to reproduce this, but this happened again and I captured setting for Analog I/O, as well as signals shown on Digicheck NG (via Analog 1-2)

Here are pictures;

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g7sfh3sdofio … 2fnla?dl=0

Here is the summary of the issue I am having.

1. This only happens when playing DSD. (Please ignore my message I wrote on 2021-03-02)

2. The device is set to "Stereo Mode". One interesting thing : when this happened, the color of LED changed from Green to Cyan.

3. Nothing is connected to Analog 1/2 at the moment. And connecting anything won't change.

4. Digicheck also shows noise around -55dB in full spectrums, but nothing can be heard on Analog 1/2.

5. Switching AD conversion on Analog Input setting from DSD to PCM will not show any noise, but switching it back to DSD shows noise signal.

6. Sound from Main Out 1/2 is unaffected by this noise.

Ok, so either the ADC is not reset correctly, or the FPGA controlling it is off with certain timings. Could even be a soldering issue at the ADC...or the ADC itself...

The problem here is that it happens not often enough for a successfull repair process. Of course you can send the unit in and we try to find a fault. But if that one doesn't show up while in the lab (Murphy's law)?

Maybe first  try the latest firmware 250/102 in your unit. If it's a weird timing problem a recompiled firmware might change the behaviour already.

How old is that unit, and which model exactly?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

21 (edited by superdrive 2021-04-04 18:41:06)

Hello Matthias,

The unit was purchased on April 17 of 2020, so it is a bit less than a year old. It was bought from Thomann. The model is ADI-2 Pro FS. (silver one)

The firmware was the latest already. (250/102)

I will contact Thomann to organise a repair. FYI, this unit was repaired once before, due to an issue with LCD.

Thank you. Otherwise it is a great unit... Not sure how I can live without it for a few days/weeks while it's getting checked and repaired.

superdrive wrote:

... Otherwise it is a great unit... Not sure how I can live without it for a few days/weeks while it's getting checked and repaired.

If you don‘t need the inputs - get yourself a Qudelix 5K - it’s the closest thing I found as a “portable ADI-2 replacement”.

And the EQ-setting can be (manually) transferred 1:1 in both directions, the result measures exactly the same.

superdrive wrote:

The unit was purchased on April 17 of 2020, so it is a bit less than a year old. It was bought from Thomann. The model is ADI-2 Pro FS. (silver one)

Good, this means you still have full warranty.

superdrive wrote:

I will contact Thomann to organise a repair.

While this is the official way, in this case I would suggest to contact Audio AG directly and send them printed parts of this thread (at least post 19 and 20), so they know exactly what is going on, and that the issue is not easily reproducable. Otherwise you might get the unit back in an unchanged state.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

24 (edited by superdrive 2021-04-06 13:40:40)

Thanks, Matthias. I will contact Audio AG.

The problem seems reproducible for now : When I switch the "AD Conversion" mode (Audio Input from I/O setting) from PCM to DSD, the noise appears. It's been like this for a few days, so I hope Audio AG can reproduce this as well.

Just want to let you know that my ADI-2 Pro has been returned and working as expected!

Thank you Matthias.