Topic: BlueRay Audio 24bit 192k not playing/showing correct sample rate

Hi there,

I'm trying to play back a high resolution audio recording from a BlueRay disc on a Philips bdp2900 BlueRay player connected to my RME ADI-2 DAC through the SPDIF coax connection and the State Overview shows that the sample rate is 16bit 48k. In the manual it says the RME is always the slave and the sample rate and bit depth is set by the source so the RME should switch automatically to 24bit 192k playback.

As there is no 16bit 48k audio file on the DVD, but it does play and I can hear music, I am thinking that either the DVD player is downsampling the audio before sending it to the ADI-2 or if the ADI-2 is downsampling it or simply not showing the correct numbers in the Overview menu?

When I switch the DVD player ON, the menu on the ADI-2 goes from showing --- to: sync - 48 SR - cons State - 16 Bit. That is the industry standard for PCM audio for film. Clock source shows as: SPDIF coax. The DVD player has PCM for audio playback in the settings (not Bitstream). Then I select the 2.0 Stereo 24bit 192 option of audio playback on the DVD menu and hit PLAY. - nothing changes on the ADI-2 DAC in terms of sample rate and bit depth.

I'm thinking either the DVD player is sending out Bitstream or the RME is interpreting the information incorrectly?

Re: BlueRay Audio 24bit 192k not playing/showing correct sample rate

BluRay player is downsampling. I think no BR player or SACD player can output more than 16/44 or. 16/48 through coaxial.

3 (edited by bejoro 2021-03-05 15:00:46)

Many BR or DVD player support up to 192/24 stereo (PCM, 2 channel) output via coax spdif, some even via optical spdif.

You will have to consult the manual or at least the technical data of your player. It is possible that you have to activate hires digital output in the settings menu of your player.

SACD is a different topic.

gunnar wrote:

Hi there,
The DVD player has PCM for audio playback in the settings (not Bitstream). Then I select the 2.0 Stereo 24bit 192 option of audio playback on the DVD menu and hit PLAY. - nothing changes on the ADI-2 DAC in terms of sample rate and bit depth.

I'm thinking either the DVD player is sending out Bitstream or the RME is interpreting the information incorrectly?

Did you try Bitstream in the BR player settings?

Bitstream means that the digital audio from the BR/DVD will be transmitted unaltered.
It is possible that your player always downsamples to 48/16 if PCM is selected.

Also possibly the audiostream is only available with hdmi.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Thanks for your replies guys.

The BlueRay disc I'm playing is encoded with something called Pure Audio Blue-ray and on their website it states: "Compatible with any commercially available Blue-ray player".

I have read the manual for my Philips BlueRay player and it doesn't say anything about the sampling rate of PCM audio over coaxial, only bit rates for MP3s and WMA files are stated. I have tried changing all of the available settings on the player, selecting Bitstream and PCM and turning downsampling on and off. No other settings are available for audio.

It is possible that higher sample rates are only available over HDMI - I'm going to email the Pure Audio company that authored the Blue-ray and see what they say.

7 (edited by waedi 2021-03-06 00:01:20)

From the user manual :
Audio

HDMI-Ausgang
Digitalausgang: 0,5 Vp-p (75 Ohm)
Koaxial
Abtastfrequenz
MP3: 32 kHz, 44,1 kHz, 48 kHz
WMA: 44,1 kHz, 48 kHz

this device obvious does not play 192 kHz.

Let us know what they say about their product.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

vinark wrote:

Also possibly the audiostream is only available with hdmi.

Of course, you are right. For DRM reasons it is not possible to get BluRay Audio via spdif. Players allow to stream for example 192/24 as WAV, FLAC etc. over the network or as files burned to a disc (BR/DVD) but not BR Audio.

There are ways to extract the audio stream with special hardware or software, but that's not legal nor is it allowed to discuss it here.

gunnar wrote:

Hi there,

I'm trying to play back a high resolution audio recording from a BlueRay disc on a Philips bdp2900 BlueRay player connected to my RME ADI-2 DAC through the SPDIF coax connection and the State Overview shows that the sample rate is 16bit 48k. In the manual it says the RME is always the slave and the sample rate and bit depth is set by the source so the RME should switch automatically to 24bit 192k playback.

As there is no 16bit 48k audio file on the DVD, but it does play and I can hear music, I am thinking that either the DVD player is downsampling the audio before sending it to the ADI-2 or if the ADI-2 is downsampling it or simply not showing the correct numbers in the Overview menu?

When I switch the DVD player ON, the menu on the ADI-2 goes from showing --- to: sync - 48 SR - cons State - 16 Bit. That is the industry standard for PCM audio for film. Clock source shows as: SPDIF coax. The DVD player has PCM for audio playback in the settings (not Bitstream). Then I select the 2.0 Stereo 24bit 192 option of audio playback on the DVD menu and hit PLAY. - nothing changes on the ADI-2 DAC in terms of sample rate and bit depth.

an option to think about is ripping the files from the disc (yes it can be done with the proper software)