Topic: This is holding me back from joining RME

I WANT to join the family. I WANT an RME product. I really, really do. However, I don't care for the Babyface form factor. I would rather have the features of the UFX+, but half the size and 1/4th the channels, like a Fireface UC or UCX.

In fact, I would buy the UCX now, but it seems outdated with Firewire. I have Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3 on my 2020 iMac i7. I don't want USB 2. I would love to have DSP like the UFX+, but I don't need 188 channels, Word Clock, or ADAT.

It seems like RME needs a product that is placed between the Babyface and UCX, or UPDATE the UCX to modern connectivity.

Imagine....

RME Fireface UCX+ TB3 4x12, 2 preamps, 2 Hi-Z inputs, 2-4 line inputs, 1-2 headphones, 4 line outs, MIDI I/O, +DSP, +ReAmp!!

I WANT ONE!!

2 (edited by waedi 2021-03-10 22:55:57)

Re: This is holding me back from joining RME

Prior to think of new interface you should consider replacing the outdated i7 computer with a new M1.
Looking your wishlist,
TB3 - Thunderbolt 3 connector (outdated)
4 x 12 - what is that ?
2 preamps - ok
2 Hi-Z inputs - ok
2-4 line inputs - ok
1-2 headphones - ok
up to here it is a Octamic XTC
4 line outs - 0k
MIDI I/O - ok
+DSP - ok this means Totalmix FX
+ReAmp - what is that ?

No doubt, it is a UFX+ !
It has all you want and it can connect every computer, including i7 vintage calculators.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Prior to think of new interface you should consider replacing the outdated i7 computer with a new M1.
Looking your wishlist,
TB3 - Thunderbolt 3 connector (outdated)

Thunderbolt 3 w/ USB-C is outdated? Then I assume you would agree with me that Firewire and TB1, and TB2 (currently being sold by RME is WAY< WAY more outdated. However I found this: Thunderbolt 3 is capable of transmitting at a rate of 40 Gbps, which is a lot quicker than USB 3.1's rate of 10 Gbps or USB 3.0's limit of 5 Gbps. It's also double the bandwidth of Thunderbolt 2 (20 Gbps). https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/thunderbolt-3-guide

If TB3/USB-C is outdated, what connection protocol is available in Mac's that are currently available? USB4? Okay, I'll take USB 4 interface.

4 x 12 - what is that ?

4in/12 out, 6in/16 out 24-32 channels. I don't need, nor do I want to pay for features/connectors I won't use like,word clock, S/PDIF, AES, etc. Not everyone has a giant studio filled with legacy gear. The vast majority of users are home recording enthusiasts who want quality pre's, AD/DA conversion, and rock solid drivers.

2 preamps - ok
2 Hi-Z inputs - ok
2-4 line inputs - ok
1-2 headphones - ok
up to here it is a Octamic XTC
4 line outs - 0k
MIDI I/O - ok
+DSP - ok this means Totalmix FX

Yes, I DEFINATELY want TotalMix FX. I LOVE the concept.

+ReAmp - what is that ?

The ability to record a guitar dry/DI and later send that recording out of a 1/4in high impedance out, which can then be connected to pedal fx and amp, then recorded with a mic or through a load box/DI like my Two-Notes Captor X.

No doubt, it is a UFX+ !
It has all you want and it can connect every computer, including i7 vintage calculators.

Which costs $2800. That's why I said earlier, RME needs a product to bridge the gap between the Babyface - $949 - and the UFX+. The product that sits there now is the UC and UCX which are 10 years old with outdated Firewire and USB 2.

RME needs an updated interface in the $1500 range as a UA Apollo Twin X alternative. My suggestion is either an updated UCX or a cut down UFX+ The gap between Babyface and UFX+ is far too great.

4 (edited by waedi 2021-03-12 00:49:58)

We all want the same !
Eierlegende Wollmilchsau für gratis !

4x12 ok I understand, you mean 4/12 analog.
ReAmp of course, that is common today.
Why not doing it the same way as everyone ? Just plug from a interface output to the amp input ?
lower the output signal if it's too much.
For the amp it is no problem, we plug synthesizers to the amp for super gain overdrive bassline.
Every interface can do that.
Do you know the rack ears can be unscrewed and the unit gets handy small ?
But the price is not cheap, I agree.
Compare the other brands.
After all, what you ask for is something like a RME custom shop where you can put together your own custom built interface by clicking options.
Box size 1/2 rack
Analog In/Out  12/12
SPDIF - no
Wordclock - NO !
Adat In / out - yes
Madi - yes
USB-C (yes USB-C is at moment the way to go)
4 Mic Pres
4 Headphone Outs high-power
Bus-powered
Totalmix FX
Steady-clock FS
Locking cableconnectors
etc etc
300.-bugs
50-years-Garantie

UFX is too big ? And Apollo Twin ? (Overpriced giant speaker knob !)

The RME custom shop would be awesome, do you agree ?

waedi wrote:

The RME custom shop would be awesome, do you agree ?

That's not necessary. The product that is obviously missing in RME's catalog is a bridge product between Babyface and UFX+. The gap between the two is $1811 dollars.

UFX+($2800) - (minus) Babyface($949) = $1811

RME needs a product that falls between the two and is up to date with connectivity, DSP, and UFX+ style features. This lack of product is keeping me from being part of the RME family!

Tell me, which RME interface is a UA Apollo Twin X Quad Core ($1399 US) alternative???

I'll tell you what I really want! I want someone from RME to tell me to stand by; that my interface is on the way and almost ready if I'm patient. I want to know if it's in the works. If it's not, I can move on.

But I must confess, I want a RME product.

Danny S wrote:

I'll tell you what I really want! I want someone from RME to tell me to stand by; that my interface is on the way and almost ready if I'm patient. I want to know if it's in the works. If it's not, I can move on.

But I must confess, I want a RME product.

I don't work for RME and have no idea what they are planning but would not be surprised if they update the UCX at some point with most of what you are looking for. I have UCX and ADI2 PRO FS which I both acquired only fairly recently (both new), and even though I knew UCX is older design I decided to go for it anyway and have absolutely no regrets - both are amazing devices and the sound quality I have been enjoying after investing in RME is out of this world!  By the way, I decided to get UCX over babyface because I don't particularly like the babyface form factor (although if I was not always using the device at my desk it would perhaps be more attractive than UCX - but the UCX has the same physical format as my ADI2 and that was on of the selling points - they are neatly stacked on top of each other on my desk and that setup is simply perfect for me).

Thanks tomg, I appreciate your input. The UCX is the closest RME gets to what I want to buy, and I admit, it's a very tempting product. The firewire puts me off, and I just have a bad feeling that if I plunge $1500 into it, RME will come out next year with its replacement. At that point, I would left with an outdated box that nobody will buy used (because firewire).

I've purchased too many things that became obsolete in the next cycle. I like that RME supports its products for so long. In fact, that's a HUGE reason why I want RME. The issue is, I want to get into the family at the BEGINNING of a product, not at the end of it's life.

Danny S wrote:

Thanks tomg, I appreciate your input. The UCX is the closest RME gets to what I want to buy, and I admit, it's a very tempting product. The firewire puts me off, and I just have a bad feeling that if I plunge $1500 into it, RME will come out next year with its replacement. At that point, I would left with an outdated box that nobody will buy used (because firewire).

I've purchased too many things that became obsolete in the next cycle. I like that RME supports its products for so long. In fact, that's a HUGE reason why I want RME. The issue is, I want to get into the family at the BEGINNING of a product, not at the end of it's life.

I understand. I am not using firewire with my UCX - I'm on Windows 10 going back a few years now (after being a passionate OSX user for many years I switched few years ago because I became very frustrated with Apple for not refreshing the computers I was interested in for way too long - I was primarily interested in Mac Pro and Mac mini on the deskop and they were completely neglected). Anyhow, I am finding RME with usb2 is working perfectly fine and is very stable with UCX on Windows 10 machine (RME drivers and Totalmix are the true selling points of RME as far as I'm concerned).

@Danny S, I absolutely agree with you. I was in the same position about 14 months ago when I needed to replace my MOTU Ultralite Mk3 and I desperately wanted an RME product like you’ve outlined. Unfortunately, there wasn’t a product but due to buying a 2019 MacBook Pro 16” and needing to move quickly, I ended up buying a UFX+. It’s great....but it’s still complete overkill for my needs. I’d much rather have bought a cheaper RME product like a refreshed UCX but it wasn’t an option at the time.

As long as there are usb ports that can give usb2 compatibility, the ucx or any usb2 rme device is a perfect solution.
There is no gain in sending 16 audio tracks over usb3 vs usb2 Only when the (almost) full bandwidth is not enough you will need usb3 (like the UFX+).
There might be a small advantage to TB over usb. But again the implementation needs to be faultless then.
In fact there are more chances of a good working usb2 chip. Of course apple is crazy (or genius) with its approach to backward compatibility. Anything apple can be obsolete in the next year(s) by design.
Cheers!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

One little side note, there are usually options for something like you had in the firewire days with a cable that's fw 400 in one end and fw 800 in the other end...similar is available for some newer options, so it doesn't feel so "dongly" wink

Maddcow wrote:

I ended up buying a UFX+. It’s great....but it’s still complete overkill for my needs. I’d much rather have bought a cheaper RME product like a refreshed UCX but it wasn’t an option at the time.

That's where I'm at. I'm watching Reverb for a deal on a UCX.maybe. idk. B-stock or factory repack.

14 (edited by waedi 2021-03-12 07:27:13)

Sometimes this adress has a good price : www.da-x.de

lightbox wrote:

And just for the record:
RME UFX II would be an option as well ... all the features of the UFX+ minus the MADI.

The UFX II is a beautiful machine. As a home recording enthusiast, I only need half of a UFX II, which leads me to the UC. Believe me, I've been trying to talk myself into it, but when I go to read the reviews of the UC or UCX, they're all 10 years old.

That's very old hardware. That's a lifetime in technology. RME has addressed the Babyface with a major overhaul update, the UC/UCX has to be in line for a makeover as well.

Yes I also looking forward to an updated UCX with usb-c as a possibility and latest ad/da enhancements!

17 (edited by torbenscharling 2021-03-14 19:09:04)

mr.r wrote:

Yes I also looking forward to an updated UCX with usb-c as a possibility and latest ad/da enhancements!

Just curious, are your devices usb-c ? Do you need it for tracking extra channels that bandwidth provide? Why do you need the latest ad/da enhancements, have you done comparison testing? I'm on an original ADI-2 and am baffled at the fidelity, (but don't have any experience owning higher end gear than that, only lesser quality - MOTU, M-Audio, Focusrite etc.). I'm not looking to upgrade to the ADI-2 Pro because of it's ad/da enhancements, unless I become sponsored or make a hit song or something big_smile Anyway, just wanted to point out for a device like the UCX, you don't need better than USB 2.0, given the channel count, so it's currently cross compatible with almost all devices acrost many generations, which I applaud, and assume (think I read) that is why RME chose that plug, also it's usually tougher than the small USB-C plug - basically long story short, they thought this suggestion through already.

(EDIT: Though I'm sure they'll probably review such a thought, as soon as there's a real need for it)

And may I add, many of you probably remember the old mini firewire that was on some PC laptops - such a pain with those mini, micro etc. plugs that could fall out easily, get bent etc..Luckily it looks like you can get strong USB-C plugs and cables, but I don't know how industry standard it is yet in the Pro circuits.. someone higher up may chime in on this

18 (edited by mr.r 2021-03-18 02:58:02)

Usb-c has great connectors as far as I know, they are more reliable. But not sure if they are more or less prone to loose connection on accident. I assume less.

No it's not about speed, it's about to connect to a macbook without an adapter. Maybe even being able to use the interface without a power supply when needed traveling, because of the higher power delivery?

I have not done any comparisons. I'm sure that every RME interface sounds good also older ones. It's just when you invest in a new products that it doesn't feel good to have converter technology that is a lot of years old, certainly very good, probably indistinguishable from newer ones, but I just want to have the latest generation because it have to last a long time again. It can be discussed if this is stupid.  :-)

But I'm hoping for a better headphone amp in a newer generation to drive my higher end headphones without any remarks directly.  The last gen of RME converts had a lot of improvements in this area as far as I see.