Topic: AMD actual kernel seems to have buggy fireface 800 support -> help?


I'm new to this forum and hope not to break the rules.
I have a working LINUX system with ffado, jack, Ardour, using a ff800. Due to higher processing demands I tried to chenge to a Ryzen processor. Everything on the same system image runs out of the box on the Ryzen, except the FF800.
I tried:
-lsmod finds my TI firewire card
-ffado-test ListDevices lists the RME fireface 800
-ffado-test Discover finds the ff800 but freezes directly in the process
-ffado-mixer says it can't talk to to jack server through DBUS
-qjackctrl says, it can't start the server.
-I found relating infos on …, which describes exactly my situation, but there seems to be no actual solution. I tried older versions aof avlinux (2020-05-10) but had the same issues.
Is there anybody around who knows how to get around this?

Re: AMD actual kernel seems to have buggy fireface 800 support -> help?

Hello, again,

Out of desperation I wanted to be able to debug the stuff now. My first trial was to build ffado from source. I had to remove the original ffado installed by package and built and installed using the actual download (2.4.4).
The result was, that immediately things were staring to work, although I didn’t use the debug version. That would have been the second step, but -up to now- was not necessary. I was able to start jack with ffado and a buffer size of 32 at 3 buffers. I started ardour and were able to use it as usual. It seems, that the ffado build in the MXE packages is not compatible with my Ryzen while the self-built ffado is.
After a while the audio became crackly and I looked up the messages. No surprise, there were plenty of xruns. To my astonishment, after another period of time, the crackling became less and vanished. Then again crackling, followed by times with brilliant audio. This to me sounds like time bases slowly drifting against each other. I will hunt down this problem as a next step.
But hooray, the general setup is working with my new killer machine. Plenty of power, two test channels in stereo with a plethora of plugins in each channel, some VCA and foldback strips to experiment with. The result: 8% DSP usage. That’s what I wanted to see.