Topic: ADI-2 DAC - Focal SM9

Hi all, new to the forum, this is my first post. Read some amazing stuff and watched rave reviews for the RME ADI-2 DAC. My plan is to use the balanced XLR outs to the Focal SM9 in a home hi-fi setup. To make this perfectly clear - no plans on using these speakers for music production at this point.

Would this be a good match?

Just wondering how the DAC would work in providing a signal to active studio monitors.

Also, I am thinking that the SM9s have built-in analog EQs enabling adjustments to room size etc. - would the EQs of the RME ADI-2 be superior to these? Would I use a combination?

Thank you for your time!!

Re: ADI-2 DAC - Focal SM9

Aus lauter Mitleid
I feel sorry because no one else did respond.
Your Loudspeakers are super !
Focal is famous for superbe soundquality.
And RME is famous for perfect signal.
So the RME DAC will give perfect signal to everywhere, also to your active monitors.

As your monitors have their own EQ system, I would first use this.

Me when i was a child, and would visiting your studio, for sure I would go behind your speakers and turn every knob !
A digital EQ setting can be stored and reproduced more accurate.
The ADI-2 EQ gives you better adjustments than a analog knob.
If one day you use the speakers without the DAC, then the room correction is still there.
Have you a measure-microphone and a software to get the adjustments for EQing ?
I probanly would do it on both but only use one at the time.
The settings in the speaker are made for the speakers and the room, I would use them all the time.
The settings in the DAC are the settings for the room, regardless of the connected speakers.
I would program those settings and switch off the EQ, for having the settings in store.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by ramses 2021-03-14 13:39:48)

waedi wrote:

Aus lauter Mitleid
I feel sorry because no one else did respond.

I do not understand this comment waedi, this has been posted yesterday evening...

kradzero wrote:

Would this be a good match?

Both products are superb, sure.

kradzero wrote:

Just wondering how the DAC would work in providing a signal to active studio monitors.

The signal stays lossless in the "digital domain" until the final D/A conversion occurrs. You can check and validate lossless audio transfer with the very useful feature "Bit Test" of ADI-2 DAC/Pro, see manual ch 31.15:
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dacr_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dacr_e.pdf

Steadyclock ensures that any inbound jitter will be eliminated and the final D/A conversion takes place with the internal FS clock of the ADI-2 DAC (completely decoupled from any inbound jitter). If you are interested, then you can watch this video from Matthias Carstens where he explains Steadyclock technology in detail and compares measuring results of RME products with steadyclock with those of other products. Its very informative and impressive to see, how well Steadyclock works:
EN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti0aHW-zYcs
DE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rcBVuWOHiw

You connect the active monitors by using balanced cables. Does not have to be expensive Vodoo cable, simply take a good brand and take care that they have good connectors like those from Neutrik (de facto studio standard).

kradzero wrote:

Also, I am thinking that the SM9s have built-in analog EQs enabling adjustments to room size etc. -
would the EQs of the RME ADI-2 be superior to these? Would I use a combination?

From briefly looking to the manual it seems that the EQs of the Focal SM9 are working in the analog domain and are fix in terms of the Q factor (bandwidth).
The manual tells further that the Focal have a so called "Direct Mode" where the EQs can be bypassed except the high pass filter for the low frequencies.

The 5 Band EQ of the ADI-2 Pro works in the digital domain and might be more flexible, because it works on the digital signal and allows adjustments of also/additionally center frequency and bandwidth.

There are several threads in the ADI-2 subforum that also discuss room acoustics. If you are not running a studio, it is more difficult to optimize room acoustic, e.g. in a living room environment. Also some optimizations can be done by acoustic pictures, carpets, curtains, ...

Before adjusting the sound with either ADI-2 DAC or SM9 you should 1st of all measure the acoustic of your room "as is".
https://www.roomeqwizard.com/
There are already tutorials available, which explain, which measuring mic you need and how to use the software.

I think it is best to first find a good position for the monitors in the room (without any optimization of acoustic), so that later you only have to adjust as little as possible via EQ. To be able to compare this with other positions you need to make multiple measurings.

Maybe you can find a good position in the room already with a few tricks .. using sound material with nice bass information and then with the help of two friends to find a monitor position where it sounds already quite nice and balanced.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you very much for your replies.

Ramses,
Very clear and concise answer. All my points were addressed, thank you!

Looks like I’ll be buying a RME ADI-2 DAC

Congrats, good choice.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Congrats, good choice.

Thanks, really excited. Any idea whether a “new” one is coming out at all?

As I am not from the pro audio world, not sure how these products’ lifecycles work: is it like any other tech industry whereby this DAC will be old news in a year’s time or does it generally take a lot of time to introduce new stuff?

Thank you again for your time!

Hello Kradzero!   

I'm a bit late to the discussion, but I wasn't ignoring you.  I travel a lot, and your Post landed on one of those days.

Short Story:  YES!  Your forthcoming RME can drive your Focals superbly. 

Further, NO!!  your RME, as a Pro Oriented Product is not subject to becoming obsolete overnight as might be the usual Audiophile "boutique" device. 

Speakers, and Rooms are my Deal!  smile

Surely we'll have much to talk about going forward.   Welcome Aboard!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Curt962 wrote:

Hello Kradzero!   

I'm a bit late to the discussion, but I wasn't ignoring you.  I travel a lot, and your Post landed on one of those days.

Short Story:  YES!  Your forthcoming RME can drive your Focals superbly. 

Further, NO!!  your RME, as a Pro Oriented Product is not subject to becoming obsolete overnight as might be the usual Audiophile "boutique" device. 

Speakers, and Rooms are my Deal!  smile

Surely we'll have much to talk about going forward.   Welcome Aboard!

Curt

Thank you so much for the response and for the warm welcome! Happy to be a part od the forum and to get the OK on both questions.

The only thing which holds me back is the emergence of the Cambridge Audio DACMagic200M in the HiFi scene (due out in March 2021). As far as I can make it, it will directly compete* with the ADI-2 DAC, however adding Bluetooth and direct streaming into the mix - estimated to cost 500€ compared to RME at 950€.

*I doubt it will compete at THAT level but it does offer state of the art DACs. It is unlikely to feature on-board EQs and already know it’s missing a screen.. smile

Would you be able to recommend a good “streamer-only” to plug into the RME?

Thank you!

9 (edited by Curt962 2021-03-15 04:43:20)

Streamer Only...

I had been a long time fan of the Squeezebox Touch. (SBT)   

Recently?  I added a $100 Raspberry Pi 4b to the Mix.  No Sound Quality difference whatsoever, but a definite improvement in creature features (added 13" Screen via HDMI)  I can see Album Art, and Track Data from across the room!   Further, there is that issue which might be stated as "Sustainability"   Simple.  If my Pi breaks?  I buy another cheaply, and move forward With my SBTs?  If they break?  They stay broken.  sad

Crappy answer I know...but that's my deal.

Btw:   Your reference to the Cambridge does not compute.   The RME is an "end game" product, and I shall say no more. wink

Best!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Streamer Only...

Recently?  I added a $100 Raspberry Pi 4b to the Mix.  No Sound Quality difference whatsoever, but a definite improvement in creature features (added 13" Screen via HDMI)  I can see Album Art, and Track Data from across the room!   Further, there is that issue which might be stated as "Sustainability"   Simple.  If my Pi breaks?  I buy another cheaply, and move forward With my SBTs?  If they break?  They stay broken.  sad

Btw:   Your reference to the Cambridge does not compute.   The RME is an "end game" product, and I shall say no more. wink

Best!

Curt

Thanks for the comments - so I guess any Bluetooth receiver works, just need a good wireless signal going into the ADI-2.

Re the other DAC: please excuse my ignorance, just a mere mortal pulling the trigger on 1000€ purchase - want to make sure I’m considering all options and choosing wisely on technology smile

Krad,

Ref: your Wireless comment above.   Make sure you understand that the ADI-2DAC does not have any form of Wireless Connectivity.   

Just so we're clear. smile

Curt

12 (edited by Curt962 2021-03-16 03:26:26)

kradzero wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

Streamer Only...

Best!

Curt

Thanks for the comments - so I guess any Bluetooth receiver works, just need a good wireless signal going into the ADI-2.

Re the other DAC: please excuse my ignorance, just a mere mortal pulling the trigger on 1000€ purchase - want to make sure I’m considering all options and choosing wisely on technology smile

Krad,

Late thought, but I completely understand your pre-purchase Due Diligence regarding the RME.  Money Matters, and the more we keep?  The better!   That said, this is precisely the reason why the RME should be at the very top of your Wish List.   RME does everything ( and that's a LOT!)  to the highest specification.  The breadth of it's functionalities have no equal.  I say this as a long-term satisfied owner, and there are legions of other users who share my views.  Consider also that you will find RME Tech in leading production houses that are producing Multi-Million Dollar Movie Soundtracks, and Best-Selling Music.   Performance matters in these environments, and a Flowery Review in some Tweak Audiophile Magazine does not convince the Pro User.  The RME earned it's reputation in the Pro World.  Why then would I consider something else?   See? 

Pull the Trigger.   The RME belongs in your Gear Rack. 

Curt