Topic: No sound spdif out from RPi-3B+ Hifiberry Digi+ Pro HAT fr ADI-2 Pro

Greetings,

I have tried both using spdif out from the provided 9-pin cable or my spdif singe cables (In/Out RME's spdif)...no sound (the RME's volume display doesn't have any signal)

RPi3-B+ --> spdif out (either the optical or coaxial from Hifiberry Digi+ Pro HAT) --> RME's spdif in  (using single cable) --> RME's spdif out (using snigle cable) --> Denon's AVR

Or

RPi3B+ --> spdif out (either the optical or coaxial from Hifiberry Digi+ Pro HAT) --> RME's spdif in  (using 9-pin cable, then spdif's in) --> RME's spdif out (using 9-pin calbe then spdif's out) --> Denon's AVR

Digital Out is set to Main. When using USB out from Pi or Sony X700M as CD player using the provided 9-pin cable, sound works in both scenarios.

The software on the Rpi3 is Moode. When plugging Rpi3's optical out directly to Denon, sound works.

Any tips? TIA.

Re: No sound spdif out from RPi-3B+ Hifiberry Digi+ Pro HAT fr ADI-2 Pro

Page 41 of the ADI-2 PRO FS  May be this works on your device ?

17.5 Digital Through Mode
This additional mode is a manual option only, it is not available via Basic Mode Auto. It has to be activated manually by selecting Basic Mode – Dig Thru.
The purpose of the Digital Through Monitor is exactly what its name describes. A single digital input signal is passed through the unit and can be monitored on the analog outputs at the same time. Automatic clock and source selection of the digital inputs plus internal D to D routing allows to insert and monitor AES, SPDIF or ADAT signals. With ADAT only channels 1/2 are monitored, but all 8 channels are passed through.
The digital signal is not simply patched from input to output, but completely rebuilt. It gets totally refreshed by SteadyClock FS, and even clock decoupled or up-/down sampled with the SRC turned on. Without SRC the included 24 bit audio data is passed on bit-transparent.
As any digital input signal becomes available at all three digital outputs, Dig Thru mode also offers digital format conversion as well as a distribution feature (one source to three destina- tions).

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thank you waedi...it works. Guess when I played CD from Sony using the same exact cabling setup it works (Basic Mode was set to Audo) and it was odd I just swapped out optical from Sony to the RPi3 and no sound was coming out.

So in Dig Thru mode, since it's pass through I assume Volume and EQ on the ADI-2 won't work?I turn the volume knob on ADI-2, I could see the meters increase but sound level out of speakers stays the same.

4 (edited by waedi 2021-03-14 23:35:45)

May you are changing the volume of something else, headphones output or main analog out ?
Page 90 digital volume, describes the digital volumen technology, but I could not find out how to enable or disable it.
I think it should be possible to have EQ and volumen setting on this signal.
May be you have to select the output or input channel in the frontdisplay and then adjust EQ and volume...?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

May you are changing the volume of something else, headphones output or main analog out ?
Page 90 digital volume, describes the digital volumen technology, but I could not find out how to enable or disable it.
I think it should be possible to have EQ and volumen setting on this signal.
May be you have to select the output or input channel in the frontdisplay and then adjust EQ and volume...?

Thank you for having faith in me....I found page 93. I think this should be Sticky as a lot of folks now are looking to use this equipment as DAC.

Thanks again.