Topic: ADI2 vs Babyface as home studio interface

Hello, new member & first post here.

As topic subject says I am wondering about the viability of the ADI2 as a 2 channel home studio interface? RME markets it as a converter and not as an interface and perhaps rightly so.

My use case is ca 60% listening I and 40% building tracks in Ableton including recording guitars using amps sims (NeuralDSP mostly). Some voice recording too. I also am doing some consulting for an audio engineer who sends me masterings to compare. Speakers are Amphion 7LS and a variety of amps. Headphones are Beyer 1990s and Sennheiser HD650s

The Babyface would be the better fit obviously but I have listened to the ADI with my headphones and it's really very good. I have looked into the Anubis which too sounds excellent but the latency and stability weren't so great + an audible fan.

With the ADIs lack of micpre's, of Totalmix and the general workflow for recording seems convoluted and I wonder if the device will get in the way of making music?

Anybody using the ADI not just for monitoring but for making music here? Input welcome!

Re: ADI2 vs Babyface as home studio interface

I can only recommend to get a recording interface with TM FX as a base.

At any time you can enhance this with an additional ADI-2 *.

How to integrate such a solution into your setup I described in this blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Will preface with the disclaimer that ramses is way more knowledgeable than I on all things RME.

Had the Babyface Pro FS and it was wonderful to record with, sounded great. But I already have a Fireface UFX+; the Babyface was for portability. Did audio recording of dialogue and used a Zoom H6 at the same time. Even with dialogue the Babyface was quite a bit better in sound, noise from HVAC was less on the Babyface and overall clarity better as well. But the H6 won out for the portability and built in mic ability relative to the application needed at the time; they are very different units. Babyface is bus powered and works well with an iPad Pro and even an iPhone.

Returned the Babyface after trying an ADI2-Pro FS R Black Edition. Price point very different so that must be considered. The initial reason was better digital IO for my needs on the ADI2-Pro; Babyface works well with optical but for my external devices I did not want to use an adapter for SPDIF or AES. As for sound, I have been enjoying music from CD's (transferred to HD using dB Poweramp) in a way I have not since LP's on high end equipment 25+ years ago. The Babyface was great for this, but the ADI2 better. Both better to my ears than the UFX+, but both limited IO relative to the UFX+; apples to oranges from an application standpoint. The ADI works well for recording in the field with an iPad and iPhone as well, but not bus powered and not as portable.

If you have external mic/instrument preamps, then the ADI would be worth considering. I also have an API Transformer GT as a guitar interface and it does make a difference with plugins. It gives more of an amp feel going in than anything else I have used with plugins preamp wise except for a Kemper (which plays well with the SPDIF input).

Total Mix is great on the Babyface, much simpler for me. As ramses stated you may always add an ADI-2 later.

Having both would be great; I do miss the Babyface.

Thx Ramses & Paul! I think I will get the Babyface then. Everything else seems too much hassle & also entails extra gear and cost. I don't have an external mic pre and rather wouldn't want to go down that rabbit hole (love the Chandler TG2 and Germanium in the 500 format for example, but that's a different story). For the guitars I won't need one either, as I record direct. But for the occasional singing/voice recording the presence of a mic-pre is helpful.

The Anubis would be perfect for my use-case but I don't trust it and a fan is a no go. This being my home-office desk space is limited and I just want something small I can plug everything in and hit record whenever I feel like it. The Babyface ticks those boxes but the extra fidelity and seemingly better headphone driver stage of the ADI would be nice to have indeed wink

5 (edited by torbenscharling 2021-03-17 04:51:48)

I'm using (original) ADI-2 for recording, editing & monitoring music, but have TotalMix (BF original and RayDat) as a base..would probably say go with the new BabyFace Pro FS, - then you'll be getting the best of both worlds, latest and fastest DAC..

There can be a huge benefit in using outboard pre-amp - something often forgotten is how well some gear sounds ran through a simple good quality mixer or simple tube-pre. I love having the ADI-2 on Hi Gain being able to get the full benefit of the dynamic range - but I have to go through the proper kind of mixer/pre-amp for this to work, and when paired up correctly, it's definitely a "Pro" experience wink

EDIT: Just saw and heard some reviews of that API thing "paulsfinney" got - exactly my experience too - get some good pre-amping going in before hitting the DAC.

torbenscharling wrote:

but I have to go through the proper kind of mixer/pre-amp for this to work, and when paired up correctly, it's definitely a "Pro" experience wink

Not sure what you mean by proper mixer/pre-amp paired up correctly. Proper gain-matching?

I eventually will get some kind of pre-eq-comp chain for my setup, but that's not a priority. For now I need a excellent DAC + headphone amp with the ability to record conveniently. The ADI offers the former while complicates the second. The Babyface offers the second and does the former well enough. I still wish the ADI would do both, but maybe in some future iteration.

7 (edited by torbenscharling 2021-03-20 01:19:46)

NoisyNarrowBandDevice wrote:
torbenscharling wrote:

but I have to go through the proper kind of mixer/pre-amp for this to work, and when paired up correctly, it's definitely a "Pro" experience wink

Not sure what you mean by proper mixer/pre-amp paired up correctly. Proper gain-matching?

I eventually will get some kind of pre-eq-comp chain for my setup, but that's not a priority. For now I need a excellent DAC + headphone amp with the ability to record conveniently. The ADI offers the former while complicates the second. The Babyface offers the second and does the former well enough. I still wish the ADI would do both, but maybe in some future iteration.

What I mean is going from consumer level to pro level input and output stage - you gotta have the right pre-amping going in, or else the signal will be too low obviously. Nothing wrong with consumer levels, but now having "Pro" gear, I'm pleased with the difference smile Not sure how the ADI complicates things, it all depends how you look at it. Some just need to see the inputs in their DAW and do everything from there.

8 (edited by Klark_Glade 2022-01-18 14:47:14)

ramses wrote:

How to integrate such a solution into your setup I described in this blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

Hello Ramses,

If I use both Babyface Pro FS + ADI 2 can I still play guitar with zero latency like it is possible with totalmix + babyface Pro FS only?
Or it's not going to be possible with this combination?

Thank you

9 (edited by ramses 2022-01-18 16:07:52)

Klark_Glade wrote:
ramses wrote:

Hello Ramses,

If I use both Babyface Pro FS + ADI 2 can I still play guitar with zero latency like it is possible with totalmix + babyface Pro FS only?
Or it's not going to be possible with this combination?

Thank you

Sure, possible.

Pls consider:
- communication through ADAT takes as good as no time (mentioned by MC a few times)
- whether AD/DA conversion takes place on BBF or on ADI-2 Pro makes not much of a difference,
   D/A is even tad a bit faster with the ADI-2 Pro:
       ADI-2 Pro FS: 0,11 / 0,12 ms (AD/DA, DA Slow)
       BBF Pro FS:    0,11 / 0,16 ms (AD/DA)

As you can see, converter latency is in the range of fractions of miliseconds.
Depending on which ASIO buffersize you choose, the RTL (including converter latency) is in the range of 2,2 - 86,9ms.

For a few products and product combinations I made a list of the resulting RTL
(according to informations from the driver, which are with RME drivers always very accurate):

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2343-UFX-UFX-RayDAT-Latencies-v2-jpg/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

10 (edited by Klark_Glade 2022-01-20 04:08:26)

Thanks a lot Ramses!
Yes "latency free" is important to me because when I removed some conversions from the path (digital pedals, FX loops with AD/DA etc I had like 10ms+ latency) I felt my signal was cleaner and more immediate. I have 3ms conversion from my guitar gear (+2ms when I activate a loop with a digital pedal) and I find that staying around 5ms total latency makes the feel more enjoyable and real.

I think I will consider the UCX II instead. It will be simpler and less expensive for me and it has enough power to drive difficult headphones.
Do you know if there is any difference in converters and preamp quality between the Babyface Pro FS and the RME UCX II? I couldn't find any information. Some people say the Babyface has better converters than the UCX II, I'm surprised.

11 (edited by ramses 2022-01-20 07:02:52)

You can compare the different USB/FW/TB interfaces with my Excel sheet here:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/
Direct link to Excel: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … -04b-xlsx/

All AD/DA converter chips are nowadays on a high level.
A few DB SNR more or less and measurable, but not audible.
AD/DA Converter should perform an accurate ADDA conversion and not have something like a "better house sound".
The analog stage and the overall design is also important.
Like recording interfaces AD/DA converter are different in terms of features, whether they support DSD or different D/A filter.
I would trust RME here that they made a proper selection for each interface.
What has already been discussed in the area of ADI-2 DAC/Pro vs FS version: also its not cruicial to have or not have femto second clock, measurable better values, but not audible.
You are better off, to select your audio interface based on its features.
There is so few difference in converter latency between BBF Pro FS and UFX II that this should also not be your final purchase criterion. More important is to have the right amount of ports for expansions.
The four mic/instr inputs with 75dB Gain and features like Autoset and DURec and more powerful phones outputs and more support for different reference levels on inputs and outputs, two ADAT ports, AES, are more important.

Thank you very useful information and links. UCX II will fit my usage and be really future proof for me indeed.

13 (edited by ramses 2022-01-20 12:10:18)

Klark_Glade wrote:

Thank you very useful information and links. UCX II will fit my usage and be really future proof for me indeed.

Good choice and you can add an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE at any time later to get it's uniq features which adds to quality a lot.

ramses wrote:
Klark_Glade wrote:

Good choice and you can add an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE at any time later to get it's uniq features which adds to quality a lot.

Hm, what quality and feature would I gain from a ADI*2 Pro FS (and why not the simple ADI-2)?

15 (edited by ramses 2022-01-22 10:14:14)

Klark_Glade wrote:
ramses wrote:
Klark_Glade wrote:

Hm, what quality and feature would I gain from a ADI*2 Pro FS (and why not the simple ADI-2)?

I put some information together in this blog article:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ses-EN-DE/

The ADI-2 has a different feature set, most of the ADI-2 DAC/Pros features are not available.