Topic: Multiface I switches uncontrollably to Digiface Mode

1.)
My fantastic MF I (first connected via PCMCIA in an old XP laptop or later via PCMCIA-PCI bridge in Win7 desktop) has a strange bug: After some time of running regularly it switches from normal Multiface I mode to Digiface mode. Means: In the TotalMix window are suddenly shown 3 ADAT + SPDIF In-Out sets and the normal 8 analog + ADAT + SPDIF In-Outs are disappeared, thus the complete ADC/DAC function is lost.
I tryed to manage the problem with the FlashUpdate tool (first downgrading the flash version then upgrading again + several times power on/off resp unmounting/mounting the PCMCIA + driver updating etc) and this seemed to help for a while, I even changed the PCMCIA card - but after a while the bug re-appeares. Can someone help?

2.)
When flashing one of my PCMCIA cards (realising the procedure as mentioned above) it broke: The flash procedure stopped in the middle and couldn't be finished and now the PCMCIA card seems to be destroyed. Is there a possiblity to repair it?

Thank you very much in advance!

Re: Multiface I switches uncontrollably to Digiface Mode

A different cable might help.
What's the serial number of the Cardbus card?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

> A different cable might help.

That is correct. But the main cause are (usually) damaged receiver/transmitter ICs for the data running over that cable. They can be faulty in both units, CardBus and/or MF. Repair is possible within the MF, CardBus is usually not repairable. But let RME Support check with the serial number.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello,

thank you very much for fast response. I'll try with the cable... but in longterm view, I guess, I'll have to purchase another, less older RME card. As I'm using Cubase System Link on several devices since years I'm sticking to RME - and don't regret one single day!

My serials are:

22 23 11 21     Multiface I
22 19 17 36     PCMCIA card no 1, unfortunately crashed while flashing
22 28 67 02     PCMCIA card no 2 (resp 26 65 96 says a small holographic sticker)   

a) Would it make sense to go on trying with a HDSP PCI(e) card for the desktop Win7?

b) I'm "electronically qualified" (Elektroniker für Geräte & Systeme) and quiet skilled with soldering... and curious about the inside of Multiface I, the "machine's heart of sound". Is there maybe a possibility to buy and replace ICs on my own? The Multiface was my first RME card and I'm a little bit nostalgic...

Thank you!

Repair of these has been described already somewhere (sorry, forgot where). Search for LVDS transceiver or similar. Two chips, no big deal for an electrician. The problem with the CardBus is that it can not be opened without destroying the case, and there are no new cases available.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks a lot!! I'll try to replace the chips! Nevertheless, some new RME gear is on the shopping list. What is bestter than one RME card? Two. Greets from Cologne!

The Cardbus card is indeed quite old and would need to be sent in to be fixed/reprogrammed, but success is not guaranteed, sorry. This one is not just a chip that you could replace in a DIY operation...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes, got it, I guess: PCMCIA is out and will be replaced by some HDSP PCI(e) card for connecting my Multiface I. I'll try to exchange these LVDS transceiver chips (https://youtu.be/J-h1JVh26Jc). Just opened the MF I and found all the capacitors in good shape and the PCBs looking great. It's worth a try; the ICs are less than 3 € each what I found on a quick search. But that's just for fun; a new sound card makes sense anyway. Thank you very much for your suggestions and your support! Stay healthy these days!