Topic: iPad crashed twice today at a gig while only running TotalMix Remote

Hi all.
I had someone else running PA for me at a gig today, mixing a live band through my UFX+ using an iPad Mini with TotalMix Remote on 2.4GHz WiFI....and my iPad Mini crashed twice (i.e completely locked up and unresponsive), which has never happened before with any other software.  It was the first time using TotalMix Remote for a gig and the crashes were obviously less than great for a live situation. The iPad is currently running iOS 13.3 (haven't had a chance to update yet) and hardly anything else is installed because I only got it just before Christmas to use specifically with my UFX+.

Has anyone else experienced iPad crashes when using TotalMix Remote? (It was the only app running). Is updating to iOS 14 more or less likely to experience the same issue?

Cheers
Gary

Re: iPad crashed twice today at a gig while only running TotalMix Remote

No other crashes reported. Especially with the latest version 1.21. Did you share the crash logs with the developers?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

@MC: yes, I’ve shared analytics and crash data with developers. However, I was on a WiFi network without internet access at the time of the crashes. If crash data is available, does that get uploaded when the device is next connected to the internet? The iPad has been online for the past couple of hours whilst charging after I got home from the gig. Please let me know if there’s any manual way for me to provide you with anything you need.

Is there any reason for me not to update to iOS 14 (from an RME perspective)...because I’d planned to do that tomorrow.

I’ve just found the Analytics Data in Setttings\Privacy\Analytics & Improvements. There are 2 files called TotalMix Remote with date/time stamps for today....and the time stamps look to be around the times the crashes occurred and those files appear to contain crash data.

Let me know if I need to email you those files, and to which email address to send them.

Zip them and send the two files to me, via forum.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by Maddcow 2021-03-14 14:31:48)

I have no idea how to email these to you via the forum as there doesn't seem to be a way to add attachments.  Here's a Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fj0h63uvsje21 … s.zip?dl=0

@MC, can you please confirm once you've downloaded these crash reports?

Got them, will check. Thanks!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Awesome. Thank you!

@MC, after looking at my crash reports, are you able to say whether the crashes were caused by TMFX Remote?  And if so, is the cause something that can be fixed with an update to TMFX Remote? As you can imagine, it's pretty concerning when your mixing iPad completely crashes during a live gig, especially if you're unsure of what's causing the crash.

The crash report is not much helpful. We can see that the crash happened deep within Apple functions, maybe in combination with the Springboard. Question: when exactly did this crash happen, what did you do with TM Remote in that moment?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by Maddcow 2021-03-18 13:53:34)

@MC, I had another guy mixing for me but I've just checked with him.  At the time of the crashes, he was adjusting channel levels or compressor/EQ settings.....he was also using reverb to some degree on most channels (see below) but he'd already finalised the FX settings well before the crashes occurred.

I was using all 4 mic inputs, in addition to 6 instrument inputs (I think) and all channels were being used simultaneously in a live performance situation.  Each input channel had some degree of compression and EQ, and I believe that most channels also had some degree of reverb.  I saved the workspace if sending you that would help....just let me know.

We would like to check whatever possible so please upload it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

No problem.  Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4hxqe0p134be … s.zip?dl=0

The workspace did not include anything suspicious and is valid.

About the crash report: these (from a Mac or IOS device) are usually very helpful. But this one points blanketly to the very first line of our code (where nothing is done) and below that contains only IOS stuff that we can't debug.

There is info that the app was shot down by Springboard for not responding, presumably while trying to bring the program to the foreground. Of course, the hang could have been triggered in another thread (not forum thread wink.

There are relatively few threads there (MIDI, network), but they don't contain any code from us. In this respect and because there are still exactly 0 crashes registered via the Appstore for v1.21, we have to dismiss this as a strange single event, perhaps also just in connection with the non-existent Internet access.

Updating to the latest iOS might also help.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, cool. I updated that iPad to 14.4.1 after the gig where things crashed, so that might have already fixed the issue.