1 (edited by kryton 2021-03-09 15:40:09)

Topic: BSOD after ADI-2 DAC is switched off

Hello.

When playback is stopped and ADI-2 DAC is switched off, computer which is connected with DAC via USB falls to BSOD (blue screen of the death). I tried different computer with the same result. Last version of RME ASIO driver is used. OS Windows 10.

There is workaround for suppressing BSOD. It is mandatory prior to DAC is switched off exit from application which was used for playback. I tried Roon and HQ Player with the same result.

Is there any solution for this problem?

2 (edited by ramses 2021-03-09 16:27:28)

Re: BSOD after ADI-2 DAC is switched off

Hi kryton,

I did a few cross checks for you. Sorry, no Roon or HQ Player here, simply tried another player with ASIO support (MusicBee).
In contrast to your experience with Bluescreens, no bluescreen at all for me:

Setup:
- Windows 10 20H2, MusicBee 3.4.7662, RME MADIface ASIO driver 0.9734
- ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, firmware v.98 (USB mode, 2-channels)
- connected to: Sonnet Allegro Pro (4xFL1100, Windows 10 driver)

I performed two different Test cases:

1. with stopping of music player before power-off
    Start MusicBee, Playback Music through ASIO driver
    Stop MusicBee Player
    Power-off ADI-2 Pro (no issues), Power-on ADI-2 Pro
    Restart Application, again sound.

2. without stopping of music player before power-off
    Start MusicBee, Playback Music through ASIO driver
    Power-off ADI-2 Pro (no issues), Power-on ADI-2 Pro
    Restart Application, again sound.

Perhaps USB driver or application problem?

Pls note: "last version" and "Windows 10" is not a valid version information.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

kryton wrote:

Hello.

When playback is stopped and ADI-2 DAC is switched off, computer which is connected with DAC via USB falls to BSOD (blue screen of the death). I tried different computer with the same result. Last version of RME ASIO driver is used. OS Windows 10.

There is workaround for suppressing BSOD. It is mandatory prior to DAC is switched off exit from application which was used for playback. I tried Roon and HQ Player with the same result.

Is there any solution for this problem?

I have been having the same problem since I purchased mine back in June.
I have 3 machine   All same.   

There’s no solution. Trust me ... I have been working on this to no avail.
Thes bsods have corrupted my windows installations.

Just don’t turn off dac before comp...
I have actually stopped using usb. I rely on cxn digital out to adi.

4 (edited by KSTR 2021-03-10 21:32:02)

I've also experienced the occasional BSOD with Windows 10 (1909) when I switched the RME off or unplugged USB. It appears to be related to whether Windows default output is routed to the device or not.

I do now explicitly eject the USB RME before disconnect or switch-off and that has been reliable so far.

No BSOD's here throughout 1809 - 20H2 (on .867 right now), no matter if I hotswap or turn anything off, same for the Babyface I have connected to the same PC, it's an AMD Ryzen build if that matters.

Bought the ADI-2 pro a month ago and routinely get BSOD crashes with windows 10 on a completely up to date Lenovo x1 using Roon.  Using the latest RME driver.  It happens when I turn off the ADI-2 or unplug the USB cable.  I was hoping for an updated driver that might fix this?  Or has anybody found a solution other than never turning the ADI off?
Terrys999 how are you getting  cxn?  Some kind of adapter?  No such output on my laptop, only USB.

> Or has anybody found a solution other than never turning the ADI off?

Reading post 4 will help.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

I was having the same issue with Roon with my ADI-2 DAC FS, I’d get a BSOD when ever I powered down the unit.

It turned out to be a Windows issue for me.

I did the following and now I no longer have the issue:

Open a Command Prompt as an Administrator
Type “Sfc /scannow” (without the quotes) - this will check your Windows system files for corruption etc and attempt to repair.
Reboot when complete and try again.

I’m not sure if I uninstalled and reinstalled the MADI driver after running the above but I no longer have the issue.

Hope this helps.