Topic: Security Questions!?

Why do I have to answer multiple security questions when I post on the forum? Sometimes up to 8 times in a row before the post finally gets posted. That's VERY annoying and I can't imagine this to be right (and necessary).

Cheers

Re: Security Questions!?

+1

Happens seemingly random and there's no way out. It cycles endlessly through the five or six questions and doesn't accept any answer.

It only happened twice to me, with more than a year in between. No idea what might trigger it...

3 (edited by lightbox 2021-01-26 09:16:20)

And yet again ... IT IS ANNOYING!!!!!!! @MC

There we go again...

5 (edited by ramses 2021-02-18 22:10:48)

Just googled whether I find a solution, found this by occasion.

According to this thread it might be a cookie related problem.

This post points to a PunBB extension that claims to work without cookie mechanism:
https://punbb.informer.com/forums/post/158632/#p158632

This is the direct link to GitHub:
https://github.com/MioVisman/punbb_exte … _stop_bots

The original mechanism should work like this, but actually fails:
- guests being asked for each post
- forum members once every two weeks

On forum there were speculations that different browsers and php versions delivered different results.
But if the posting above is right, then it comes back to a cookie related problem.

It could be the case that this can be solved by this other version of anti-bot extension...
Sorry I can't test .. maybe it helps .. no guarantee, good luck !

BR
Ramses
X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10Pro20H2, Cub11Pro, UFX+ (v0.9734), XTC, 12Mic, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

This time it happened to one post I eventually had to abandon. The next post (in this thread) succeeded.

The previous one failed several/all posts and I couldn't post in this thread either.

I don't think it's every fourteen days either as there was a long time between occurrences before that.

+1.  I'm sick of this problem occurring over and over on iPhone, iPad and Mac.

Are you sure you're not a robot?

I never have such questions or blockings, the Software has identified me as harmless idiot.

OSX M1, Babyface (soundstudio-to-go), started with PST8, Multiface I, Multiface II, PCIeMadi

10 (edited by lightbox 2021-03-25 14:32:35)

If someone has been member for almost 6 years (like cyrano) and written 523 posts ... is it still a possibility he might actually be a bot? I've been here for almost 2 years now, posted 87 posts (including this one). Am I a bot? Is there any reason to believe I'm a bot?
Seriously, it's terribly annoying ... and it's not nice that no RME staff chimes in and works on a solution to facilitate posting questions (and answers).

PS: And yet again it happened sad

The time now here in Zürich is : 14:03

OSX M1, Babyface (soundstudio-to-go), started with PST8, Multiface I, Multiface II, PCIeMadi

lightbox wrote:

If someone has been member for almost 6 years (like cyrano) and written 523 posts ... is it still a possibility he might actually be a bot?

Old and recently used accounts still could be compromised.

I've been here for almost 2 years now, posted 87 posts (including this one). Am I a bot? Is there any reason to believe I'm a bot?
Seriously, it's terribly annoying ... and it's not nice that no RME staff chimes in and works on a solution to facilitate posting questions (and answers).

PS: And yet again it happened sad

I suppose the website and forum run on standard software. It's not always feasible to start editing the (php) code.

Switching the anti-spam module off isn't a real solution either.

We're starting to see the result of having thousands of holes in thousands of web services. Something the sec community has been warning for for many years. Only, security has no ROI, so it's neglected by the board of directors as they can't calculate the result of their (financial) efforts.

I know, it's annoying. Especially when you've just written a long answer to a technically complex question and you just can't post it.

Guess we'll have to wait for an update to this darned anti-spam module...

13 (edited by lightbox 2021-03-26 13:32:18)

cyrano wrote:

Switching the anti-spam module off isn't a real solution either.

I didn't say that it should be switched off globally. Good anti-spam modules have an option to activate/deactivate it on a per-usergroup basis. So for example a newbie has to go through this for his first 20 posts ... and then is automatically promoted to the next usergroup level (just like the usertitles here) which runs without this kind of check.

I'm running big internet forums since 20 years and I never had to annoy my regulars with this.

There really is no way to configure this in this forum software...

lightbox wrote:

I'm running big internet forums since 20 years and I never had to annoy my regulars with this.

So you understand that it's SMF in this case... big_smile

Something I'm grateful for, as all the others seem to suffer from featuritis and, as a result, some serious security issues.

In other words, I like it when things are simple...

16 (edited by lightbox 2021-03-26 23:45:44)

cyrano wrote:

It's PunBB and the extension is pun_stop_bots. And there's a version that does not use cookies ... which would be a pretty big improvement cause it won't bug you when you post from another device than before ... if this version was used. ;-)

PS: Had to do the security check 8 times to post this.

Clearly, my memory is goin' down the drain... big_smile

Wow 8 times. When I posted on my pc as opposed to my iPad I only had to answer 6 questions. A bit over the top really.

Only four repeats today...

Six questions. Three time the same...

This is really braindead software!

lightbox wrote:
cyrano wrote:

It's PunBB and the extension is pun_stop_bots. And there's a version that does not use cookies ... which would be a pretty big improvement cause it won't bug you when you post from another device than before ... if this version was used. ;-)

PS: Had to do the security check 8 times to post this.

Let's see if I can find that version.... Any leads welcome.

[Edit: Found it]

Folks, I have simply disabled this thing for the moment. Let's see what happens. If spam registrations go through the roof, we will have to see what can be done, maybe there is an update to this. Otherwise, we'll have to delete a few more spammers manually for now.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank You!!!! smile

Thanks, Daniel!