Topic: UFXii with new Mac M1

Hi.  I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new UFXii.  I currently have a 2010 iMac that's still going strong, but I'm also planning on buying one of the new Mac M1 Laptops (Macbook Pro).  The fact that the UFXii can work on both systems is appealing to me.

I've tried searching around on the forum, and maybe the question has been answered - but I'm having a hard time understanding.  What is the best way to connect the UFXii to a new M1 Macbook that only has two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports?  Some people seem to have an issue with adapters/docks.  I'll prob have an external monitor and some hard drives on a dock taking up one of the ports, and I'm happy to dedicate the other port solely to the UFXii.  Obviously I'd like to avoid any audio slowdowns / glitches.  Any specific brand or product recommendations would be much appreciated.   

Please explain it to me like I'm a musician (I am), and not an engineer or programmer.  Thanks in advance!

Josh

Re: UFXii with new Mac M1

The UFXII is a USB interface, the Macbook has USB-C ports.
You only need a cable with the connectors for both, you can connect it directly with one cable and all is fine.
you may seen reports in the internet from people with firewire interfaces want to connect to thunderbolt connections.
Those need adapters and have problems often.
The RME drivers for your interface are available in M1 versions.
The only thing you have to look is software and plugins.
The old plugins will not work.
You have to get new M1 versions of all your software.
The M1 computer power will kick you out of the socks.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Ok thank you.  I'm starting to feel old and out of touch.  So a simple USB-A to USB-C cable will do the trick then? 

I know the software/plugin issues will take a while to sort out, but it's great to know the UFXii and Mac will be solid right out of the gate.  Thanks again!

A simple USB-A to USB-C cable will do the trick then?

Yes, exactly !

@waedi, you really do seem to like making blanket statements!

On the M1, you CAN still use a lot of (if not all) your existing software/plugins if you run them under Rosetta 2. There may be a small performance hit but Rosetta 2 has been designed to be used as an interim step (i.e. until devs release Apple silicon-compatible product versions) to avoid what @waedi has incorrectly stated.

Software running under Rosetta must be written as UB Universal binary.
I could non of the old plugins run on my M1.
If you can, please tell me witch plugin you mean.

@waedi, the whole point of Rosetta 2 is that it enables Intel apps - not universal binary apps - to run on Apple silicon machines. I think you’ve misunderstood a few things. If a plugin is universal binary, it DOESN’T need Rosetta 2 because it will run natively.

However, if you want to run Intel apps/plugins, the entire platform must be run under Rosetta 2 e.g. your DAW (and all plugins it is using) will need to be run under Rosetta 2.

@Maddcow Do you own a M1 mac ? Have you installed any old software ?

waedi wrote:

Software running under Rosetta must be written as UB Universal binary.

Not at all. Then Rosetta would be obsolete. And notice the correct use of quote tags. Easy. No excuse to just copying the text.

waedi wrote:

I could non of the old plugins run on my M1. If you can, please tell me witch plugin you mean.

I am not a witch (maybe...), but a simple Google search would have revealed that Maddcow is right. Example:

https://music-prod.com/apple-m1-silicon … ace-works/

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This can be closed.
I just wanted to give a warning to someone may running into problems.
It is from my own experience.
The list in this link shows all new software.
The old software I am speaking is all kinds.
Adobe Creative Suite, cubase 7, NI synths, etc. etc.
It is not possible to install. The computer refuse the installer and says the software is outdated or the developers certificate is not valid.
The whole Rosetta story is a propaganda concept.
In order to use Rosetta, the software must be installed and accepted from the system and that is not the case for all that was running on the old intel mac.
Apple wants people to believe they just can switch to the new computer and transfer the software. NO, thats not working !
New installers are a must for M1. That is the case on my M1 computer and I am not an evil demon.
I also can start up Logic under Rosetta, it makes no difference. i can't tell if all plugins are made for native or not, only applications shows the option for Rosetta.
So far I had no situation where Rosetta was needed, it is in my case obsolete.
@Soapy.Randolph Sorry for this war, it was offtopic.

If your apps are so outdated that they won't run under Big Sur (Intel), then they also won't run under M1. That is the differentiation to be made, not some nebulous 'old software' thing that M1 doesn't allow. That also includes the switch away from 32 bit software, which won't run anymore on Intel machines - not limited to M1.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

For the record, this is why I couldn’t easily find an answer to my original dopey question on the forum. Sifting through stuff like this...

I wanted to know about hooking a UFXii to a new mac (which Waedi was nice enough address) and now the thread is a snark-fest about Rosetta. Who cares. Go outside and run some laps or scream or something.

@soapy.randolph, I understand exactly what you’re saying. My perspective is that it’s very likely many other people over time will find threads like this and if incorrect information is left here and not addressed, it ends up being problematic. I wish that more forum software had functionality where comments can be sub-directed and not detract from the primary subject (like Reddit, for example) but unfortunately, this isn’t the case.

I’m glad you found the answer you were looking for. Enjoy the UFXii