1 (edited by Arcana 2021-04-16 14:17:31)

Topic: [Solved] Babyface Pro performs poorly in Cubase 11

I got a Babyface pro the other day - 2nd hand.
Updated to the latest firmware and latest drivers. Driver version 1.210, firmware 130.

I use Windows 10 and Cubase 11.
Previously I had a simple Steinberg UR12, which ran without problems.
I loaded a couple of WIP projects I've been working on recently.
Unfortunately, I'm unable to press play in Cubase as the 'Average audio performance' meter goes to 100% or very close.
Even the 'maximum' meter goes to 100%.
This occurs even when buffer is set to 1024 samples.

Using UR12 the 'average' would be around 40% and 'maximum' would be even less.
Any ideas what could be happening here?

One thing I've noticed is that the drivers in Cubase says 'ASIO Fireface USB', and opening control panel in Cubase shows 'Fireface USB settings'. So, I'm speculating that I've got the wrong drivers installed, but upon installed them, I was never given an option to choose between Fireface and Babyface pro.

I've opened my default project in Cubase. This only has 7 send fx - Pro-R etc. Yet 'average audio performance' is already at 50%, probably on 5% on UR12.
On the master I have 7 fx - Span, Gullfoss etc. If I turn these off, the 'average' does indeed go down to near 0% but, adding a few fx, should not have such a radical increase. Every fx adds 10%, when it should add less than 1%.

It's worth noting that the PC is fairly high specs - 5950x (16 core), 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2 (edited by vinark 2021-04-16 14:24:10)

Re: [Solved] Babyface Pro performs poorly in Cubase 11

I have the fs version same drivers, fireface usb firmware and cubase version and it performs the same here as my rme pci card. Could of course be that the steinberg is a better performer but is unlikely. Are you sure asioguard etc is set the same? Not sure if switching asio drivers changes that.
My pc is pretty old spec. P5Q with Q9650 @ 3.8ghz. 4 cores no HT 8gb ram.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

I have the fs version same drivers, fireface usb firmware and cubase version and it performs the same here as my rme pci card. Could of course be that the steinberg is a better performer but is unlikely. Are you sure asioguard etc is set the same? Not sure if switching asio drivers changes that.
My pc is pretty old spec. P5Q with Q9650 @ 3.8ghz. 4 cores no HT 8gb ram.

All Cubase settings are the same. I have just tried turning ASIO guard off, and that actually makes it even worse.

I thought perhaps the RME drivers were conflicting with UR12 drivers somehow, but as far as I can tell the UR12 drivers are completely uninstalled. In Cubase I only get the option for RME interface. There's nothing else listed under 'ASIO driver'.

Try different usb ports

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

That's the point, something wrong with USB.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

vinark wrote:

Try different usb ports

Thanks. I completely forgot that the previous BIOS update made several USB ports not work.
I've now installed the newest version and things are working as expected.
Odd, that the UR12 was working fine on that port though, but never mind, at least things work as they should now.

Thanks again for the suggestion.