Topic: [Solved] sound drops in ADI-2 DAC FS and other problems

I just got the ADI-2 DAC FS. I connect it to coaxial out from oppo 205. There are sound drops, like gaps in irregular intervals of 40 seconds - 2 minutes. More gaps with 48/24 files, no sound with DVD-A discs (messages: "emphasis"; "non-audio signal detected"); does not see DSD from SACD's, even dual-layer no matter what the settings in the oppo. There are also other problems, like where there is a huge bass drum hit (Verdi Requiem Dies Irae) the sound drops, due to overloading, but this did not happen with the oppo internal DAC, I got  huge wall shaking hit before.

I upgraded the firmware from 34/34 to 35/34. The gaps still occur but less often in red book CD's, much more often in 48/24 files - every second!; it now plays dual layer SACD's but still does not see the DSD layer in single layer SACD's.

2 (edited by bejoro 2021-04-17 06:49:34)

Re: [Solved] sound drops in ADI-2 DAC FS and other problems

The oppo does not deliver DSD from SACDs via digital outputs (no player does, legal/copyright reasons), only possible with HDMI. As far as I remember there is a setting in the oppo setup menu to activate DSD to PCM conversion for digital ouputs. Maybe this is enabled by default anyway.

Please try a different coaxial cable and also try the optical output.
With the ADI-2 PRO/DAC FS Steadyclock there is no audible difference between optical and coaxial/electrical connection therefore the optical connection is preferred (no ground loop problems, no electrical disturbances).

Thank you, I'll try that and report.

By the way, legal/copyright/copy protection reasons also apply to DVD-A, so no digital output via optical/coaxial S/PDIF for DVD-A and all the other hires disc formats (BluRay etc.), only with HDMI.

It is possible that there is a downsampling feature to 48 kHz for these kind of discs to get a signal to optical/coaxial S/PDIF outputs or you have to select a different, standard resolution track (48 kHz) in the disc's menu. It depends on the used player and disc.

PCM and DSD files from flash drives should work without limitations.

The coaxial cable was loose. Once properly connected all problems resolved, except for no setting in the oppo to allow output from SACD's.

This is a stunning piece of electronics.

Good to read that you were able to solve the problem, have fun with your incredible ADI-2 DAC FS.

The early OPPO players allowed the output of SACD DSD layers converted to PCM 88.2/24 via coax/optical S/PDIF.

Later OPPO was forced to eliminate some features in the firmware for example DVD-/BR-ISO playback (legal/copyright reasons). Maybe they also had to eliminate the SACD/PCM feature which makes sense. I have sold all my OPPO devices and have not used an OPPO player in many years.

I have the oppo 93 connected through HDMI to the oppo 205 (the reason is that the 93 is zone-free with an external hack). I put a SACD (DSD only layer) in the 93 and played it through the 205 into the ADI-2 DAC FS. It plays fine and the "State Overview" screen shows SP c (coaxial): sync, SR=88.2, State=cons, Bit=24.

Clever solution! Have fun, stay safe.