Topic: Volumio settings

My RME DAC is one day old and I'm enjoying it.

I've bought a RPi4b and plan to link via USB to the RME. However, the RME does not appear as one of the dropdown items in Volumio/settings.

What's the nearest/best option please? (Generic?)

Re: Volumio settings

Hi Bonky!

I'm recently now using an RPI4b as well via USB, and all is good.  With PiCore Player, my ADI-2 DAC is not listed, so I use "Generic" (or whatever PcP calls it) with zero problems.  Interestingly enough, deep within the Logs, my RME IS indicated as the connected device, complete with S/N and all.   The Pi knows exactly who it's communicating with.  Cool!

Fun Set Up!!  (Bit Perfect too!)

Have Fun, and Enjoy!!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Thanks Curt; I'll try that.

Best wishes,

Richard

Of course Richard!  Give that a shot.

At a sub-$100 price tag, I hope you'll soon see why your new Pi Set Up is truly Over-Qualified for it's task!   The Pi/RME combo Rocks!!

I could go on, but I'll spare you. smile

You're gonna Love it!!

Curt

5 (edited by Bonky 2021-03-10 20:12:01)

Thanks; I’m an idiot!

All I need is the USB output setting!

Apologies for wasting your time.

It’s working very well!

BW

Richard.

edit: I had a RPi3B with an AlloBoss before and that was great. This is an upgrade - but some of that I think is attributable to moving from RCA connections/leads to USB.

6 (edited by Curt962 2021-03-10 20:19:56)

No!   Richard, I am the Computer Deficient one in this discussion.  If I could do it in the course of a few cups of Coffee...surely you can too!

Admittedly, I'm not familiar with Volumio, but PiCore asked no more of me than to simply plug the device in.  It did the rest.

C'mon Richard...give yourself a chance!  You can do this!

So what if you get it wrong on first attempt?   Nobody gets hurt. We here in this group admire those who dig in, and try to learn. 

Go for it!!

Curt

Curt, it's up and running. All I needed to do was to a set 'USB output' in Volumio settings (I'd never seen/explored this option before).  The SQ is great - but yet to be optimised under the RME settings.

In other words I didn't need for Volumio to 'see' the DAC.

I hope I'm not being stupid here - so please correct me if necessary!

BW

Richard.

8 (edited by Curt962 2021-03-10 20:27:24)

Richard,

You're OK!    Let's now start exploring the genius of your new RME!!

Fun Times ahead!  (PS:  The User Manual is your Friend!)

Curt

9 (edited by Bonky 2021-03-10 23:08:21)

Thanks Curt; the manual isn't the easiest to understand......but I'm getting there...

Saving 'settings' for example often leads to 'invalid' on the screen even thought I've pressed Button 2 for 1 sec.

I am on the latest firmware upgrade (V34)

Thanks again,

Richard.

10 (edited by Curt962 2021-03-12 19:45:33)

Hi again Bonky!

User Manuals are difficult to write.  I've written them, and Man?  You cannot believe the levels you need to dig down to...

The fact that RME was able to compose such a text, for such a sophisticated device as the RME, in REAL everyday English is quite an accomplisment! MY!  Were only my German so good...

Richard, I've said before, and I'll say again, there is NO shame in holding the Manual in one hand, and pushing buttons with the other!   The Manual tells all, and you would surely see that referring to the Manual would solve a dazzling array of "problems" posted in this forum. smile

Have Fun!

Enjoy your new RME  (Nothing else compares)

Curt

Thanks Curt for you encouragement. Yes, I've been doing what you have suggested for the last 30 mins after watching 3 out of the 4 RME U-Tube vids. Some of my 'sub-pages' are either not present or different from the ones in the manual/U-Tube.

I'm always critical of manuals. (I'm a retired micro-biology lecturer and had to write lab manual for students so know how difficult it is. One thinks one has covered all bases and then a question comes out-of-the-blue and one thinks ....oh!...shit!).

Thanks again,

Richard

The latest manual describes all sub-pages of firmware 34 correctly:

http://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_e.pdf

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The latest manual describes all sub-pages of firmware 34 correctly:

http://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_e.pdf

Thanks; appreciated.

Richard.

14 (edited by Pervasive_Silicon 2021-03-14 19:27:00)

Hi Bonky,

I'm also using a RPi4 with Volumio.
My ADI-2 Pro FSR shows automatically up in the Volumio menu incl. the serial number.
Works flawlessly.

Regards

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

15 (edited by Bonky 2021-03-15 00:22:39)

Hi, no.  I'm using a Mac (both iMac and MacBook Pro).

Even though the RME was on, neither Volumio Uis would offer either the RME OR USB as an option. Next morning (having done nothing different - as far as I know), the RME came up as an option (NOT USB) on both. Strange!

All seems well now; I'm impressed with the machine; just wished there were more inputs and the manual and/or the hardware buttons etc were more intuitive, but I'd imagine, like most, I spend some time getting somewhere near the subjective optimum, and then leave the settings for ever and a day and then, if changes have to be made, spend the same amount of time, re-reading the manual!

I do have REW and their recommended microphone so I suppose I could try to measure my room acoustics and change the RME settings to suit, but at present, I'm happy with the improvement in SQ. and the REW manual too would need a comprehensive re-read.

I tried Mo0de player (I have  a version from several years ago) but downloaded the latest version and could not get that to work (it too has a dedicated USB-out option). I may try pico player - just out of interest, but I must admit, at present Volumio does most of what I want, and, contrary to some views, appears stable and updates without needing to re-toast a micro-SD card.

Thanks for your interest,

Richard

I've also used REW along with my ADI-2 Pro and it was pretty straight forward using the calculated REW values in ADI's PEQ.
I've stored various correction curves between which I can easily switch to compare the difference.

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

Interesting; thanks.    I don't have the RME Pro version.

Without going into details, what deficiencies did you find in your room acoustics and how did you negate them?

R

18 (edited by Curt962 2021-03-15 04:03:49)

Hi once again Bonky , et al..

Here's a good Video Tutorial on the use of REW.   Manoman!   This analysis capability might have cost a King's Ransom at one time.  Now?  It's yours for the taking   *  Please note that the REW Download is now available at the Audio Nirvana website. 

https://youtu.be/e4uSR3cUUSY

Please Do!   

Best!

Curt

19 (edited by Curt962 2021-03-15 04:14:02)

Bonky wrote:

Interesting; thanks.    I don't have the RME Pro version.

Without going into details, what deficiencies did you find in your room acoustics and how did you negate them?

R

Richard?  Tell me about your Room.  Dimensions, etc.  I'll tell YOU where the issues might be.   It's all largely mathematical in nature.   

I would like to see your new Focals /RME really Work for you! 

Curt. (again)

Wow! That's very kind.
High ceiling: 3.1m. The LivingVoice speakers fire down 5m carpeted room with a reflective fireplace at the end. The width is 4.5m with a large curtained window. Usual soft chairs and 2 sofas, Wooden floor under the carpet.  Please don't go any bother...a few hints will suffice!

Best wishes,

Richard

21 (edited by Curt962 2021-03-15 17:31:56)

Hi Richard!

I always worry a bit after making a late night post.  "Oh please let Bonky not be the one sitting in the Hall of Mirrors.. "

Fortunately, it seems you're not!   Your room seems generously proportioned.   I note though that the Room is very nearly Square, and will most assuredly have Length, and Width Modes at 36 & 38hz.   An E1 on the Bass Guitar will have a tendency to be rather pronounced, but no worries!    This can be largely mitigated with your RMEs PEQ.

Wow.  2 numbers. Were only the discussion so simple. There's always more to consider!  smile
Maybe you could post a Floor Plan of your proposed set up?   That'd be helpful.   Here's what I like to get to:  *Equilateral Triangle.   Your Speakers, and Listening Position at the 3 points of this Triangle, or nearly so.  This most closely emulates the Mix/Mastering Engineer's listening perspective when he put the recording together. 

*First Reflections (mirror points) treated on Side Walls, and Ceiling.   These areas are troublesome in that they represent additional sound sources to your Ear, and Stereo Imaging suffers as a result.   Doesn't help tonal balance much either. wink

We'll talk...

In the meantime, Happy Listening!!!

Curt

Curt, you are more than kind. I've made a crude sketch (we must be boring the pants of most readers of this thread by now!).
The 36+38Hz modes - do you suggest I boost the PEQ at these settings or (probably?) reduce them?

I tried to upload this pic and even after reading the instructions, failed.

My email address

If the above script works please email me.

Many thanks

Richard

Richard,

You'll need an Image Hosting service to post a Pic here.   I've had good luck with IMGBB, (free) but there's others. 

On the EQ?  Yes...you'll want to cut those freqs, but before we do that, it's good practice to actually have some measured data in your room with which to better direct your efforts. 

Bored readers?   Interestingly, we find there is a large group of RME users that have Speakers, and in this group, they ALL have rooms!!   smile

The Room/Speaker interface has a profound effect on SQ, so threads like this often stir up considerable healthy participation.  No face-mask required!!   

It's all good!

Curt

Thanks.

Testing: https://ibb.co/c3HmgqZ

25 (edited by Curt962 2021-03-16 01:48:22)

Richard,

Don't worry.  You'll get better with practice. smile   I saw the sketch however.   The Sketch suggests the room is a bit rectangular.  The numerical dimensions give the impression of a nearly square room.  Which is correct?

Interesting seating arrangement.   Hmmm.   Can I propose facing the Speakers?  I'm just throwing caution to the wind, and wildly suggesting a more traditional listening arrangement.   wink

Best!

Curt

26 (edited by Bonky 2021-03-16 07:58:43)

Hi Curt,

My sketch is bad; the measurements are 'more' correct. The room 'feels' more rectangular than it really is.

The speaker arrangements etc are more often than not bound by finding enough space, the position of the mains supply, the shape of existing furniture, access to the TV and and and ...one's wife!

https://ibb.co/JFQq6L1
Main pic: https://ibb.co/PwC8P6J

Thanks again; much appreciated.

R

Although the main issue here is solved, in case you want to be able to connect your computer to the DAC while also having your volumio connected to the DAC remember there are also options like the jutboom digihat which can act as a digital passthrough for the RME and works very well. That's how I set up my picoreplayer with a pi3. Perfect team!

Thanks Ezra-s.

I'd never hear of jutboom digihat  so will investigate.

However, it has to be said, that the sound is great at present - I'm pleased.

Thanks again,

R

Well, I didn't either but among others I read Archimago's blog take on it, tests with the RME ADI-2 DAC too and convinced me since I needed at least two outputs from the PI, and the thing worked quite well. I mainly use optical with it to the RME, while I use the usb input of the DAC for my PC.

You can read the blog post too here if you want:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/12/m … f-hat.html

30 (edited by Curt962 2021-03-20 21:24:09)

Bonky!

Sorry for my absence, but Work gets in the way on occasion.  No mercy for the Audio Hack "on the fly" so to speak. Please excuse me!

Are things ok?   

We'll talk more!

Best for You!

PS:  Maybe our Brit Wives need to chat, and your Gal can learn that Audio truly IS central in the matter of Family harmony!  smile

Curt

31 (edited by Curt962 2021-03-21 17:21:54)

Richard, I say all of the above because we could work some Magic in your Room!

Let's get Wifey on board, and then start moving things!   I see those Speakers flanking your Window on 2.5-3M centers, and one of those Sofas disappearing. wink

I'll give you a Soundstage like those you've only read about. smile

Highest Regards!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Hi Bonky!

I'm recently now using an RPI4b as well via USB, and all is good.  With PiCore Player, my ADI-2 DAC is not listed, so I use "Generic" (or whatever PcP calls it) with zero problems.  Interestingly enough, deep within the Logs, my RME IS indicated as the connected device, complete with S/N and all.   The Pi knows exactly who it's communicating with.  Cool!

Fun Set Up!!  (Bit Perfect too!)

Have Fun, and Enjoy!!

Curt

i have problem serting.my synology nas to.the picore player.

can you help? ao i have to.use.volumio...for.easy nas find

33 (edited by Curt962 2021-04-02 18:29:58)

Chaos,

No NAS here.  What problem are you having?   

Look here!

https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_network_share/

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Chaos,

No NAS here.  What problem are you having?   

Look here!

https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_network_share/

Curt

indeed.i.follow the.steps but can found the drive. probably.the nas.setting not.success

35 (edited by Curt962 2021-04-17 16:48:12)

Chaos,

Let's take a look here:

https://community.volumio.org/t/add-new … nas/4596/2

Sorry you're having difficulty, but in my case...PiCorePlayer found all my things in one swoop, and I spent not a single moment in frustration.

Look at the above.  Others HAVE done this before.

Curt

PS:  The Internet is really cool!   Since I learned how to use it, I can now do lots of things all by myself!   \ smile /

https://i.ibb.co/QPCfSJS/tenor.gif

36 (edited by DomieMic65 2021-04-17 18:50:16)

Huge fan of piCore player / LMS! It's incredible all the work that the developers do for free. Not to mention all the plugins etc... Material skin and Spotty two of the best! Huge respect!!

The last year or so I discovered gentooplayer that has all that picore has and many many more (see Documentation )
As long as one does some reading about the configuration it is not difficult to setup!
Just sharing the info ... it's not free -not expensive either- but it has a trial period!
(I have nothing to do with the developer too)

It's not always easy for the pi OS's to "see" tha NAS.
It needs some trial and error and may be also some permissions that must be given to the NAS's shared folders

37 (edited by Curt962 2021-04-18 01:54:29)

DomieMic65 wrote:

Huge fan of piCore player / LMS! It's incredible all the work that the developers do for free. Not to mention all the plugins etc... Material skin and Spotty two of the best! Huge respect!!

The last year or so I discovered gentooplayer that has all that picore has and many many more (see Documentation )
As long as one does some reading about the configuration it is not difficult to setup!
Just sharing the info ... it's not free -not expensive either- but it has a trial period!
(I have nothing to do with the developer too)

It's not always easy for the pi OS's to "see" tha NAS.
It needs some trial and error and may be also some permissions that must be given to the NAS's shared folders

It's just amazing to me.  PcP is driven by the same persons who have kept the Squeezebox Eco-System alive, and well seemingly forever.   We users are quite fortunate!!   I really can't imagine doing it the "Old Way" anymore. 

On those occasions  when I'm home?  I run the whole show from the Squeezer App on my smartphone. It's a good set up.  Plugged into my RME..it just works.  Everytime.

Viva LMS!  smile (and Pi, etc)

Curt

@Chaos333

What's happening?  I went digging for guidance to help you get your NAS connected.   Any success??

I hope it all works out. Good Luck!!

Curt

thank you.
it works now.

i did not set the ip address on correctly since i added.// before.the ip address.. sad.

now it is working well.

Curt962 wrote:

Chaos,

Let's take a look here:

https://community.volumio.org/t/add-new … nas/4596/2

Sorry you're having difficulty, but in my case...PiCorePlayer found all my things in one swoop, and I spent not a single moment in frustration.

Look at the above.  Others HAVE done this before.

Curt

PS:  The Internet is really cool!   Since I learned how to use it, I can now do lots of things all by myself!   \ smile /

https://i.ibb.co/QPCfSJS/tenor.gif

it works now
ip address without //is right but i failed to figure it out.

now it is ok i deleted the // before the ip address.

Curt962 wrote:

@Chaos333

What's happening?  I went digging for guidance to help you get your NAS connected.   Any success??

I hope it all works out. Good Luck!!

Curt

Fantastic!  Good Job!

Curt