Topic: MIDI Remote tutorials?

I've just installed an Octamic XTC. It's hooked up to a UFX+ along with a 12mic.

While I'm waiting for another MADI cable, the 12mic is connected to the UFX+ by coaxial cables, and the 12mic and the Octamic XTC are interconnected with MADI cables.

After a good bit of trial and error, I got everything working. The 12mic is passing along the XTC output via MADI 13-20 to the UFX+.

Now I want to use MIDI remote to control the XTC. I can't get it to work, and I'm afraid the Help files aren't much help. I've read the XTC manuals also. I suspect the problem is in my choices of MIDI inputs and outputs, which I don't really understand.

Here's an image of MIDI Remote when I start it:

https://i.imgur.com/MWH583e.png

I'm not asking anyone to walk me through it step by step, I'm just looking for a good tutorial or user guide. I suspect that the problem has to do with the MIDI settings, but the help file under MIDI settings just says "here's where you set the MIDI settings".

Both the UFX+ and the XTC are set to MADI for MIDI inputs/outputs.

Thanks in advance.

2 (edited by waedi 2021-04-29 07:34:59)

Re: MIDI Remote tutorials?

But the image shows USB1 and USB2 is selected for Midi sources instead of Madi in.
May be all 4 Midi Sources should be set to Madi in ?

I have Midi Remote version 1.80 preview on my computer, the menu help does not contain a tutorial so far (it is a preview !).
I guess there will be a tutorial in an upcoming version.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by ramses 2021-04-29 15:17:21)

vanceen wrote:

I've just installed an Octamic XTC. It's hooked up to a UFX+ along with a 12mic.

While I'm waiting for another MADI cable, the 12mic is connected to the UFX+ by coaxial cables, and the 12mic and the Octamic XTC are interconnected with MADI cables.

After a good bit of trial and error, I got everything working. The 12mic is passing along the XTC output via MADI 13-20 to the UFX+.

Interesting, up to now I thought the 12Mic's MADI ports can only be used to e.g. integrate MADI into an AVB network.
But this stacking
a) UFX+ -- coax --- 12Mic --- UFX+ and
b) 2Mic to XTC through optical
sounds somehow cool. Wouldn't have thought that this also would work. Yes, maybe by clever routing at the 12Mic ....

So I hope that my tips below also fit for this kind of "unique" temporary setup  ;-)
Might require some experimenting ("fiddeling around").

vanceen wrote:

Now I want to use MIDI remote to control the XTC. I can't get it to work, and I'm afraid the Help files aren't much help. I've read the XTC manuals also. I suspect the problem is in my choices of MIDI inputs and outputs, which I don't really understand.

Here's an image of MIDI Remote when I start it:
https://i.imgur.com/MWH583e.png

I'm not asking anyone to walk me through it step by step, I'm just looking for a good tutorial or user guide. I suspect that the problem has to do with the MIDI settings, but the help file under MIDI settings just says "here's where you set the MIDI settings".

Both the UFX+ and the XTC are set to MADI for MIDI inputs/outputs.

Thanks in advance.

Note: Remote Control via Auxdevice and MIDI Remote can not run at the same time, either one or the other !!!

You would get race conditions by this as both remote protocols through MIDI over MADI disturb each other on one MADI bus.
I personally would prefer Auxdevice alone over MIDI Remote, so that you can store and recall settings digitally in TM FX.

For my setup I got MIDI Remote working (without Auxdevice its stable):
       UFX+ --- MADI optical ----- XTC ---- MADI optical ---- 12Mic

So .. without any guarantee a few points that might help you, but again, I am not 100% sure whether its valid for your cabling/setup.

1. 12Mic -- VERY IMPORTANT -- DO NOT FORGET
   Did you configure MIDI input and MIDI output on the 12Mic ?
   I also forgot this when I checked this for you in my setup.

2. XTC:
  Options -> General Settings -> MIDI Device ID 1
  Options -> General Settings -> MIDI Cont Thru: ON
  Options -> MIDI Sources -> Control (Inp.) -> MADI In
  Options -> MIDI Sources -> USB MIDI 1 -> OFF
  Options -> MIDI Sources -> USB MIDI 2 -> OFF
  Options -> MIDI Sources -> MIDI DIN OUT -> OFF
  Options -> MIDI Sources -> MIDI ov. MADI -> Control
  Options -> MIDI Sources -> Status LEDs: “Contr” leuchtet gelb, MADI blinkt gelb

For Remote Control via TM FX (Auxdevice) ...
But then MIDI Remote can not be used at the same time !!!!

TM FX, F3 (Settings)
    TAB Aux Devices
    Digital Channels: MADI xx-yy
    You need to experiment here, because your 12Mic is 1st in order and does not follow the typical MADI 8-port schema
    Best would be to choose 1-8 for XTC and 9-20 for 12Mic ...
    MIDI Settings:
    MIDI In: UFX+ MIDI Port 4 (*)

(*)If I remember right:
- UFX+ MIDI Port 1 / 2 are the physical MIDI ports on the UFX+
- UFX+ MIDI Port 3 is "midi over madi" through optical
- UFX+ MIDI Port 4 is "midi over madi" through coax
You might need to experiment a little bit.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the responses.

Frankly, I used the coax connection from the 12mic to the UFX+ because I was awaiting for an SC-SC MADI cable to arrive.

Since then, I've connected in a more conventional way:

UFX+ => 12mic =>Octamic XTC   (MADI)

TotalMix works great. I still haven't been able to use MIDI remote. I'll have to search the 12mic controls to find where to activate MIDI.

5 (edited by ramses 2021-05-01 08:19:52)

On the 12Mic
1. Push encoder 2 times to enter section "State"
2. Rotate encoder (clockwise 4x) to reach tab "Remote Control" and push encoder to enter it.
3. Push 2nd button left from display to select "MIDI"

In the display you see now settings for "MIDI input" and "MIDI output". They need to be set to "MADI optical".

Now repeat the following procedure for each of these entries: "MIDI input" and "MIDI output":
- push the appropriate button on the left of the display
- the brackets around the configured value turn to blue color to indicate you can start changing it
- use the encoder to select the proper value "MADI optical"

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ahh, it's under "Remote Control".

Thanks, that's very helpful. I've got it set now.