Topic: ADI-2 FS as Digital mixer + ADC conversion

Hello,

I am working on my TV / Vinyl set up for my living room and wanted the confirmation that the bellow configuration could work with the ADI-2 FS.

Here would be the set-up:

TURNTABLE > PHONO PREAMP > XLR OUT > ADI-2 FS XLR IN
TV > OPTICAL OUT > ADI-2 FS OPTICAL IN

ADI-2 FS SPDIF OUT >ADAPTATOR> GENELEC SPEAKER AES DIGITAL IN

I hope it makes sense, I basically want to convert my turntable signal into digital and the use the RME as a digital mixer to feed the digital input of my genelecs.

Thanks in advance,

Sacha

2 (edited by KaiS 2021-04-19 13:15:06)

Re: ADI-2 FS as Digital mixer + ADC conversion

The correct term is “Switcher”, not “Mixer”

The ADI-2 can do this.

Read manual:
Page 9: digital AES output format and level.
Page 11: Switching functionality.

There’s no volume control for the digital signal output.
Do your Genelecs offer such?

Thanks for your answer, this is perfect and now I know that it is called a switcher!

Yes the Genelecs offer volume control, but I was more keen to set it up at an optimal level and then control the volume from the different sources: the vinyl preamp and the tv.

Is there any problem in doing this?

Thanks again.

4 (edited by KaiS 2021-05-02 20:17:14)

placidbeing wrote:

Yes the Genelecs offer volume control, but I was more keen to set it up at an optimal level and then control the volume from the different sources: the vinyl preamp and the tv.

Is there any problem in doing this?

If you control the volume on the Genelecs you make better use of ADI-2 FS’s ADC’s dynamic range.

Finally it’s even a question of convenience, and if you still see some level LEDs working on the ADI-2 FS I don’t see a problem.
You could use the Genelec‘s control for course setting and fine tune volume on your preamp and TV.

General rule: if you do not hear noise you don’t have a noise problem.

Well noted, thanks again for these informations.