Topic: Recording from a turntable

Hi everyone,

I am planning on doing some needledrops:

Michell Gyrodec with Hana SL and SME IV (Van den Hul phono cable included) --> Lehmann Cube Se II, load 700 ohms --> Acoustic Zen Absolute Copper interconnects with Cardas Clear RCA to XLR Adaptors --> RME Adi 2 Pro

I previously found out dynamics were better with a gain of +56 dB rather than the Lehmann recommended +66, for some reason. I think it has to do with the 0.5 mV output of the cart. Using the +13 setting on the RME allows me to have enough headroom for the music to shine.

However the volume tends to be too low when I listen to the resulting file on my phone, but the only higher setting on the RME is +4, and this does not give me enough headroom. Isn't there a way to record at a slightly higher volume between +13 and +4?

Thank you!!!

2 (edited by anthos314 2021-05-05 07:42:37)

Re: Recording from a turntable

Nevermind, think I found it!
Everyday I learn and understand something new about this wonderful device (and I've had it for 2 years...)

"One of the main issues when working with an AD-converter is to maintain the full dynamic range within the best operating level. Therefore the ADI-2 Pro internally uses hi-quality electronic switches, which allow for a perfect adaptation to the four most often used studio levels +4 dBu, +13 dBu, +19 dBu or +24 dBu.  Additionally a digital Trim Gain of 0 to +6 dB, in steps of 0.5 dB, can be applied, to precisely match the output level of external gear. The 6 dB of digital gain makes the whole range between +13 dBu and +24 dBu available in steps of 0.5 dB. Due to the larger step of 9 dB between +4 dBu and +13 dBu, there is a small gap from +4 dBu to +7 dBu.  Trim Gain can also be used to increase the input sensitivity to -2 dBu for 0 dBFS. Note that digi-tal gain reduces the basic signal to noise ratio of the ADI-2 Pro by the amount of the gain. In real-world applications this will hardly be any problem, as the worst case SNR of -112 dBu (+6 dB Gain at +4 dBu) is very difficult to achieve from most analog sources."

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33038

4 (edited by anthos314 2021-05-05 14:30:59)

Thanks a lot for the link.
However there is still something I don't understand: when in the Analog Input menu, I see one line called "Trim gain Left" and another "Trim Gain Right". When I turn button 2 to increase it, nothing changes in what I hear or what is being recorded. No volume increase whatsoever. Do I have to be in multichannel mode to make it work or something? Switching between +24, +19, +13 and +4 switches changes input sensitivity dramatically, but the trim gain left and trim gain right do not seem to do what they are supposed to do.

Or am I in the wrong menu?

Hello,

this is a digital gain, so it won't actually increase the level before conversion.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks a lot for your help.

Last night I tried a few things and read in the manual that DSP functions do not work when recording to DSD (which I have been doing up to now). I think I will switch to PCM instead then, DSD is just so cumbersome.

Thanks again!