Topic: RME ADI 642 MADI/AES Interface Reclocking

I have a situation wherein I cannot clock my source and AES input 1 because of which AES 1 Synch light keeps flashing. Even with light flashing, can I assume, since I am using an external clock, the input at AES 1 is being re-clocked using external clock?

Re: RME ADI 642 MADI/AES Interface Reclocking

Please reword/rewrite your post. I don't understand it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The 642 does not perform sample rate conversion, if that is what you are referring to... You will need to make sure to have your external AES source in sync with the rest of the setup. If it can't be clocked externally, it will need to be the clock master.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

The 642 does not perform sample rate conversion, if that is what you are referring to... You will need to make sure to have your external AES source in sync with the rest of the setup. If it can't be clocked externally, it will need to be the clock master.

I may be the first person on the earth using ADI 642 in home setup. Here is what I am trying to do.

HDMI out from my Apple TV goes into a cheap small box that extracts PCM audio in the form of SPDIF coax that is connected to AES1/2 on ADI 642. There is no way I can clock this HDMI to coax box. The setup just works fine but I was curious to find if there is a way to bring this in synch.

"In sync" with what? What happens to the signal, what else is connected?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

"In sync" with what? What happens to the signal, what else is connected?

On ADI 642, AES in 1 and 2 are mapped to AES out 1 and 2 that finally goes to my DA converter. I have an external clock that I wanted to use in this equation which I guess, is not possible unless I am able to clock the signal from Apple TV with same external clock. Is that a right understanding? If yes, does RME have a product that will let me bring my coax signal from Apple Tv in synch with external clock?

This won't work if I understand the setup correctly, and frankly, I don't quite see the point. Seems clear that there is no way to externally sync the Apple TV or the box that extracts SPDIF, so the 642 will simply have to be set to sync to the source signal. No way to impose external clock in this setup.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

This won't work if I understand the setup correctly, and frankly, I don't quite see the point. Seems clear that there is no way to externally sync the Apple TV or the box that extracts SPDIF, so the 642 will simply have to be set to sync to the source signal. No way to impose external clock in this setup.

Thank you. But, if I still take it through 642 and set the clock to AES, I will get the benefit of 642 de-jittering the signal, correct?

Yes.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME