Topic: Software to use with ADI2

Hey everyone, I've searched for an answer to this but have had no luck.

I have just ordered an ADI2 Pro, which I want to use primarily in DAC mode in my hifi, and to occasionally record synths and other sources (using pre-amps).  I have seen people recommend using the ADI2 with another device (e.g. UCX), which I will probably do at some point in the future.

For now though, I will be using the ADI2 in "interface" mode.  As I am new to RME, I am a little confused about which software I will use to do this.  I am on Windows, so will it just show up in the volume settings, once the drivers are installed?  And then detailed settings are controlled physically on the ADI2?  Or is there RME software that can be used on the computer?  If it makes any difference for integration, I currently have a Focusrite Forte and Echo Audiofire8.

Thanks for the help in understanding the details of how the ADI2 can be used--it's a capable but also slightly complicated box it seems!

Matt

2 (edited by ramses 2021-05-16 17:33:37)

Re: Software to use with ADI2

1992 wrote:

I have just ordered an ADI2 Pro, which I want to use primarily in DAC mode in my hifi, and to occasionally record synths and other sources (using pre-amps).  I have seen people recommend using the ADI2 with another device (e.g. UCX), which I will probably do at some point in the future.

A recording interface with TotalMix FX gives you more flexibility in terms of routing, loopback recording, creating very nice customizeable submixes and monitoring. A combination of ADI-2 Pro and a RME recording interface works great. You can read about this e.g. here in my blog:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

For pure recording of a track the ADI-2 Pro is sufficient, though.

1992 wrote:

For now though, I will be using the ADI2 in "interface" mode.  As I am new to RME, I am a little confused about which software I will use to do this.

This has nothing to do with RME. Simply lack of basic knowlegde in that area, but no problem.
Install the RME MADIface driver fpr the ADI-2 Pro and the you can use a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) for recording (or any other audio recording program which supports ASIO drivers). For the pure purpose of recording you can even use Global Record, one of the tools of DIGIcheck audio analysis software suite from RME, which is free of charge. But the handling with a not too complex DAW program might be easier. There are several DAWs available: Cubase, Protools, Reaper, Studio One, ... See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation

1992 wrote:

I am on Windows, so will it just show up in the volume settings, once the drivers are installed?  And then detailed settings are controlled physically on the ADI2?  Or is there RME software that can be used on the computer?  If it makes any difference for integration, I currently have a Focusrite Forte and Echo Audiofire8.

As I said. Install the MADIface ASIO driver. Then in the recording application (one that supports ASIO, e.g. a DAW) you need to load this particular ASIO driver.
ASIO driver because this fully bypasses the Windows Audio System because the Windows kernel mixer might degrade audio quality. With an ASIO driver the application can directly access the device with a very low latency.

1992 wrote:

Thanks for the help in understanding the details of how the ADI2 can be used--it's a capable but also slightly complicated box it seems!

Yes and no ;-) If you read the intro chapters of documentation then you should have read, that most settings are automatically chosen e.g. based on the connection. If you connect the device e.g. via USB cable, then it enters automatically USB mode and you can record and playback with the recording application by selecting the (installed) ASIO driver. That's more or less all.

I wanted to encourage you not to be deceived by the many possibilities of the device, the operation is not more difficult than with other devices, it can only do more ;-)

The good thing, you don't have to understand and use everything straight away. The basic operation is the same as with other devices, in some places even easier due to the automatic selection of the operating mode.

BTW .. RME still writes excellent manuals in the old style with block diagrams and often a picture says more than 1000 words. By the way, the manual contains a lot of useful information. It is simply a pleasure to let the information sink in and to learn a lot.

At the beginning you get a very nice overview and then the information become more and more detailed.
Best is to download the latest version of the PDF document from the RME server:

IF you device is the old ADI-2 Pro, then use these files:

https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2pro_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2pro_e.pdf

ADI-2 Pro FS:
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2profs_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2profs_e.pdf

Latest Model ADI-2 Pro FS R BE:
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2profsr_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2profsr_e.pdf

If you are list, which device you have, this sticky from me lists the different models sorted by release date:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=32506

If you have any remaining question, don't hesitate to ask.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks Ramses--this is the information I was looking for.  I had indeed read that the ADI2 will automatically put itself in the correct mode.

It sounds like it will work in the way I thought, but it's useful to know that the MADIface ASIO driver may be worth trying in Cubase and that DIGIcheck can also be used.

I'm very happy to work out all the details when I receive the item, but I just wanted to ensure that it can be used as a basic interface without great difficulty.  Thanks for clarifying this.

Matt

4 (edited by ramses 2021-05-16 19:56:36)

You're welcome Matt ;-) If there should be anything unclear don't hesitate to ask.
In terms of DAW .. the basic versions will provide you enough capabilities.

You could even use Steinberg Wavelab which might have interesting capababilities in the area of audio restauration.

If you are from Germany you can e.g. use the very nice tutorials from DVD Lernkurs for Cubase or Wavelab.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Actually Ramses, one other thing vaguely related to this--in terms of ideal setup, the manual (e.g. in the tech specs) says the XLR outputs are switchable to different levels but implies the rear TS outputs are not (instead giving a maximum output level of +19dBu).

I appreciate it's always preferable to use XLR due to being balanced, but if the above is correct, it sounds like the XLR outputs on the ADI2 are additionally superior quality due to having switchable output levels depending on volume level.  Is this correct?

On the other hand, the manual recommends using TS to RCA adapters to connect to a hifi.  Assuming my hifi power amp has (unbalanced) RCA connectors, will I be getting the best quality possible by doing this?  I'm just trying to determine whether I ideally need to order TS to RCA adapters or XLR to RCA adapters.

Thanks.

Matt

6 (edited by ramses 2021-05-16 20:06:00)

The best is to avoid adapters and XLR to TS cables are available .. https://www.thomann.de/gb/cordial_cfu_3 … UiOiJlbiJ9

It's always good to be able to switch inputs and outputs to different reference levels to not overload another input circuit and to achieve optimum SNR also at lower output levels.

So do not miss to read manual section 20, 21, 33
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2pro_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2pro_e.pdf

7 (edited by Curt962 2021-05-16 20:28:43)

This is Good!

I live in a rather "driverless" World, and just hoped Ramses (our Resident Connectivity Expert) would drop in, and provide the Proper Guidance.

@1992... You're OK with Ramses advice.

Have Fun!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Yes, I very well will get some new cables at some point.

On page 21, it's not clear whether the reference levels can only be changed when using the XLR outputs, or also when the TS outputs.  Is your understanding that you can change reference levels no matter which output you're using?

See chapter 33.2

1992 wrote:

Yes, I very well will get some new cables at some point.

On page 21, it's not clear whether the reference levels can only be changed when using the XLR outputs, or also when the TS outputs.  Is your understanding that you can change reference levels no matter which output you're using?

The reference level can be changed on every input and output of the ADI-2 Pro.

I suggest to first try without installing the dedicated driver and use the Class Complient Mode with Windows native drivers.
The ASIO driver doesn’t automatically switch playback samplerate.

11 (edited by ramses 2021-05-17 12:25:07)

Hello KaiS,

KaiS wrote:

I suggest to first try without installing the dedicated driver and use the Class Complient Mode with Windows native drivers.
The ASIO driver doesn’t automatically switch playback samplerate.

Sorry, but I think you didn't read the thread completely. Matt also wanted to record with the ADI-2 Pro and is considering getting Cubase or similar and using DIGIcheck (see post#3). In that case it is recommended to install and use the ASIO driver.

Then I think it is also the wrong strategy to always orientate on the worst products and to implement workarounds ("do not install the ASIO driver -> CC mode, use native Windows driver"), if such a product either has no ASIO support or this has defects and e.g. does not support the change of the sample rate cleanly. At this moment it's not even clear whether Matt intends to use such products.

It would IMHO be better, more consistent and would help all customers much better over time if one would approach the technical support of these manufacturers in such a case and buy the product only when such shortcomings are fixed.

Here's a positive example in that regards: Steven Mayall (MusicBee) fixed this in his player within a very short time (after getting informed by me that something doesn't work as expected). Now I can play music tracks with different sample rates and also mix them in my (Auto-) playlists using the RME ASIO driver without any issue. And this good support for a non-commercial product, free of charge...

In addition, installing the ASIO driver has the following advantages in operation:

• advised / best practise approach when recording / using a DAW product (which is the case here)

• you can use the excellent audio analysis software suite DIGIcheck from RME, which is free of charge (it's planned to evaluate/use GlobalRecord)

• you can use Global Record (DIGIchec), which has the advantage of already being included free of charge for Windows user, which is very sparing with computer resources (CPU, memory) compared to other recording products

• bypasses the Windows sound infrastructure entirely

• high quality, usually fewer latency

• needed to be able to perform firmware upgrades

• very useful to have the CRC check in the driver to be able to check whether you have USB transport errors due to bad USB cable or using a not so good USB port on your computer

KaiS wrote:

The reference level can be changed on every input and output of the ADI-2 Pro.

As for the question about the reference planes, I actually wanted to show him a good trick that you can read such things very well from the manual chapter 33. Now you've ruined the show for me and he may not have been able to enjoy this learning effect because you've already told him everything ... nee nee nee wink

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wtubsxmhbjskns/2021-05-17%20ADI-2%20Pro%20FS%20R%20BE%20-%2033.2%20-%20Technical%20Section.jpg?dl=1

Absolut great explanations! Thanks a lot.

It’s pro and contra.
If you want to use Tidal, Qubuz and the like the non-capability of RME’s driver to switch samplerates is a major issue.
There are several threads on the topic in this forum.

For occasional recording of some synths a full blown DAW is overkill if one doesn’t intend to go further on this path.
Even Cubase works without ASIO BTW.

Answering a simple question with a hint to the manual WITHOUT giving the simple answer isn’t my style, sorry for you show smile

To say it clear - I do use ASIO, almost exclusively, in my studio.

But I don’t use my ADI-2 Pro there and I wouldn’t use anything or any configuration that doesn’t automatically follow the project samplerate, too dangerous in pro level production IMO.

14 (edited by ramses 2021-05-18 09:20:27)

> the non-capability of RME’s driver to switch samplerates is a major issue

Funny, that works wonderfully for me here using the MADIface driver and MusicBee.

Sorry, but nobody talked about Tidal and Quobuz. You simply imply this here as a given without asking. And who wants Microsoft audio drivers when you can get a great ASIO driver together with the ADI-2 Pro?
Nobody claimed that it has to be a "full blown" DAW. There are of course entry versions of these applications. Cubase has been mentioned by Matt himself.

The reason for recommending applications like Global Record, a DAW or even wavelab is, because those applications are mature and know how to work with an ASIO driver. Wavelab has e.g. capabilities for audio restauration.

> Answering a simple question with a hint to the manual WITHOUT giving the simple answer isn’t my style,
> sorry for you show

Leave it but rather the one who takes the time for it, as he answers a question. The main thing is that it is not wrong and a well-meant intention behind it. And BTW .. I am not in this to win, but to help a RME customer.

Whatever applications Matt prefers or needs for whatever reason, we haven't gotten that far at all. Maybe you can just bring the question what he needs to find it out based on Matts demands.

Hey guys, thanks for all the thoughts on this.  To be clear, I have a home studio full of high quality equipment and have recorded and mixed semi-professionally for many years (on Cubase).

My questions more relate to the deeper ADI2 features, to ensure it will do what I need.  I'm pleased to say that my questions have been answered.  I now just need to explore the product (and manual) further in person when I receive it.  Fortunately, I almost always use 44.1khz for recording and listening, and tend to keep my setup very simple, so hopefully that will reduce the chance of potential sample rate issues with ASIO.

Matt

16 (edited by Curt962 2021-05-18 02:02:28)

Hi Matt!

No need to wait for your new ADI-2 Pro to arrive before delving into the User Manual.   Here it is for You!

https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-pro-fs-be.html

Best Wishes for You, and your New RME. Welcome to the Group!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes