Topic: Streamer or PC?

Hi!
Yestrrday I got an idea.
What if I connect RME ADI 2 DAC FS via cinch to my streamer and play music with it?
Im currently using RME with PC (USB) and Audirvana.
Should i expect any change is sound? Can I do it? The streamer has also headphone amp. Will it fight together? Or what will happen?

Im asking before trying bcs I cant find any cinches at home and I would have to drive 100km for it to try it.
Thanks!!

2 (edited by Curt962 2021-04-25 17:41:50)

Re: Streamer or PC?

Tom,

Suppose we think you have a fine idea?! smile

You could connect to your PC, or...a Streamer that you choose, and be quite happy!  Assuming a Bit-Perfect path?  There would be no SQ difference either way. 

I'm a big fan of Streamers, and with appropriate software, they're a Window to The World.   A Raspberry Pi-4 is my newest thing, and amazingly inexpensive ($100) given it's capabilities. *Hand Not Included.

Can you imagine THIS tiny device in your Gear Stack?   Connect via USB straight to your RME  No addt'l BS needed. wink

https://i.ibb.co/xqSzfJV/20201216-144111.jpg

Jump in Tom!!

I'm in the U.S.   Why a German Radio Sender?    Because I can!  smile

https://i.ibb.co/48VGFKh/20210425-111540.jpg

Lots of Fun to be had!

I added a really cool IPS screen to the HDMI port of the Rpi.   It's awesome.  I can see Album art, or Track metadata from anywhere now.   No more "Mini-Screen" LED that requires binoculars...

Enjoy!!   Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Delete, solved, thanks for help!

@Curt: very nice looking streamer Curt, thanks that you posted the picture.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by Curt962 2021-04-26 16:13:46)

Thanks Ramses!

That IPS Screen (13.3 inch Labists) is some serious Chi-Tech, but I love it.  178deg viewing angle, and very sharp images. 

It's even better with the RME perched on the Shelf above! 

Livin' the Dream!

Best

Curt

6 (edited by Curt962 2021-04-26 18:35:11)

At risk of drawing the Wrath of Admin...

The Raspberry Pi makes a Mockery of other, so-called "Audiophile" streaming devices.   The Hardware itself is cheap, but the extraordinary development efforts performed by some of the most Talented persons on Earth are what make the Rpi SO viable for us!

Pi is everywhere.  My Son's development Lab has 70 (Seventy!) Pis running Torture Tests on Medical Equipment under eval.   Now?  Pi is Providing Deep-Sea Internet access. 
Just in case?  you know?  smile   Maybe one needs to drop in on a Corporate Zoom meeting while on a Mediterranean Dive Adventure...

One never knows. wink

Streaming Music doesn't challenge the Pi in the least.

Cool device!!

Curt

Excuse my late question, I also am interested in that little streamer.
But how do I set it up? (I have no idea, how that works)

Curt, please give advice.
Thanx a lot.

Athos

Hi Athos,

Travel Day today, but in the interim, let me offer you this little nugget!

https://www.picoreplayer.org/

Can you afford "Free"?  smile

I've been using this trouble-free with my Pi.  All controlled remotely with my Smart Phone, and it's Bit Perfect!

Check it out!

Curt

Thank you.

I'm still in the planning phase.
From the picoreplayer site I could't get information if and how I could stream Amazon hd music, for instance.
My main sources are Amazon hd music and several internetstations.

What do you  think?

10 (edited by Curt962 2021-05-08 23:44:01)

With AmazonHD you're out of Luck.  Amazon has it's API for the HD app completely locked up, and nobody can have it...unless the device is "Alexa" enabled or some mess. 

Long Story short:  AmazonHD is a nogo.  Further, I tried AHD on my smartphone, and enjoyed it briefly in my travels...until I realized it was merely LOUDER than Tidal, or even a .FLAC rip on my Phone.  sad   That'll fool a listener everytime.

What's more, the AHD Smart Phone App is >this< close to being a piece of Malware. All my News feeds are suddenly dominated by Amazon related News stories?

I called: BULLSH!T! on the entire experiment, and purged the App from my device.  I realize you're not discussing Smartphone Apps, but understand that the AHD service has been intentionally crippled to restrict it's use to only Amazon enabled devices.

No thank you. No more AHD for me. 

Curt

11 (edited by Curt962 2021-05-09 02:46:19)

Athos,

Allow me one more go at maybe helping you with your core question:  "How do I connect this Pi thing?"

I went to TWO (2),places:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/ and the Picore Player site.(shown in an earlier posting above)   There, I found all the tools I needed to get my Pi set up over a few Cups of Coffee!    Good Heavens!   Could it have been SO easy that even a Computer Illiterate like me can do it?    Yes!!  It Is!

There are a few bits of Terminology that may seem Alien to us. "Image" is one.  In Pi-Speak, an "Image" is the Software written to the Micro SD Card that tells the Pi what to do.  The Raspberrypi.org site offers a Free imaging tool that allows your PC to write SW to your MicroSD.   It seems MicroSDs are formatted differently, and this Tool is the workaround.  Works Good!

After you've fiddled with this for a bit?

Plug it (The Pi) straight into your RME via USB, and never look back.  Let someone else pay a premium price.  You Rolled this great device yourself...for Pennies!

Cool!!!

Curt

Re AHD, if you want to listen to this you can use a iPhone/iPad with an Apple 'camera adaptor' cable plus USB 'printer' cable into your RME's USB port and listen that way. In my opinion Tidal is better but more expensive. Neither is really as good as having your own FLAC/WAV library on a UPnP server and using the Pi as a streaming client into the RME's USB port.

One point for your planning - make sure you get a Pi4 - not a 3, 2 or anything else. You will be fine with 1Gb RAM but you may as well get more as the price difference isn't much.

Also, use wired ethernet, and preferably an ethernet switch too, for all your network connections - if you do that you will be able to stream 192/24 or DSD256 reliably with no drop-outs unless you have some other environmental problem.

As Curt says, the value is sky-high, and even if you do not like the look of the Pi, you can put in a nicer case, or just hide it out of sight - it's so small.

RPi4 | RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE | Senn HD600 | Sugden Masterclass AA | Teddy Pardo i80d | Naim SBL

13 (edited by Curt962 2021-05-09 14:06:26)

https://www.amazon.com/LABISTS-Raspberr … amp;sr=8-1

These Starter Kits are Dandy.   Everything you need!   Trust that you'll be accessorizing your Pi, so maybe go ahead and order the Fancy Pi Case in addition to the Pi Kit.

@David - My connection scheme at home is:  Laptop running LMS > Wireless to Gigabit Router > Wired Ethernet connection to Pi > USB connection to RME.    This has been a very robust, even when my Teenager is home consuming VAST amounts of data.   No Clicks, Pops, Drops, etc.

This works!  Why pay more?  smile

Oh!  Here's that Sexy Aluminum case you'll want to have   

https://www.amazon.com/Flirc-Raspberry- … amp;sr=8-1

Curt

Thanx folks for your input.
I'd start in a second with all that, but -

now I'm listening with my macbook pro internetradios and the Amazon hd app for macos.
(cost me only 3€ more to upgrade from my 15 years old Amazon prime for the Hd music)
The idea is to get rid of the plugging/unplugging of the mac to the Adi-2.
Instead the permanent connected rasberry pi together with a touchscreen, operated indipendent of my computer.
And with the workaround via ipad etc. I'd still have an extra device to use.
So now I'm scratching my head and am afraid that my idea will not be put into practice.

Nevertheless, thanx again for your help

15 (edited by Curt962 2021-05-09 21:33:09)

Athos!

Listen to the Voices in your Head. smile

Feel the Energies!   smile

It's OK!   We're your Friends, and We understand.  It's completely normal that you want a Pi!!  smile

Go for it!!! 

Curt

*All kidding aside, I say again that Streaming is the Future!   I've been using a dedicated streaming device a long time, and cannot imagine ever again spinning a CD, etc. I rip 'em to the HD storage once, and never touch them again.  Perhaps more often, We're listening to a DAB radio stream.  I love those!   Further, the streaming system development efforts expended on a Daily basis by some of the most talented persons on Earth is astonishing!   And we get this for a mere Donation should we choose?

Wow! 

I simply cannot say enough positive things.   I'm REALLY satisfied as some may have guessed.    A nice audio stream passed into a State of the Art RME?   LIFE IS GOOD!

Curt962 wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/LABISTS-Raspberr … amp;sr=8-1

These Starter Kits are Dandy.   Everything you need!   Trust that you'll be accessorizing your Pi, so maybe go ahead and order the Fancy Pi Case in addition to the Pi Kit.

@David - My connection scheme at home is:  Laptop running LMS > Wireless to Gigabit Router > Wired Ethernet connection to Pi > USB connection to RME.    This has been a very robust, even when my Teenager is home consuming VAST amounts of data.   No Clicks, Pops, Drops, etc.

This works!  Why pay more?  smile

Oh!  Here's that Sexy Aluminum case you'll want to have   

https://www.amazon.com/Flirc-Raspberry- … amp;sr=8-1

Curt

Curt
My cxn streamer is starting to fail,
I use coax out to my adi .
Would this pi 4 work the same way?

Would this work?
I have nas drive with asset UPnP which streams to my cxn.
Could I  stream
Nas to pi4? Then usb from pi to adi?

Will the pi allow 705khz from pi to adi usb?

Do I need any other add On?

I was thinking of pi4 b. Sd card and power supply.

17 (edited by Curt962 2021-05-10 19:33:23)

Read below for an Epic Fail on my part in attaching a Quote.  smile

Curt

*A coaxial output would require the use of a HAT (Hardware added atop)

Would this work?
Could I  stream
Nas to pi4?

*See PcPs documentation for NAS usage:

https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_network_share/

Then usb from pi to adi?

* Yup!!!  Works a treat.

* Highest rate material I have is 192/24.   Yes, Pi will accomodate very high SR material.  Max rate is apt to be dictated by the Player Sftwr you use.  There is commentary from persons who are allegedly running 768khz, but I cannot attest to this from any personal experience in doing so.

*Nope   (Well, a $20 Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse would be helpful during set-up)

*The Starter Kit I linked above has all you need to get going, including HDMI cables for you to attach your own Video monitor.

Hope that was at least minimally helpful!  wink

Good Luck Terry!

Have Fun

Curt

**Terry, while I'm spending your money, I do wish to suggest the $15 Flirc Aluminum Case for your Pi.  (Linked in earlier Post)   

The starter kit I bought was fan cooled.  Sure seems like a good idea, but the Fan itself has bushings/bearings with the lifespan of a Housefly.  The fan quickly becomes objectionably noisy.   The Flirc case I DO like is passively cooled.  Dead Silent. No fan, as the entire case acts like a heatsink for the Pi's CPU.

Further, the Flirc case is very tightly toleranced, and Port alignment is the Textbook definition of Precise!   $15 well spent!

Curt962 wrote:

Read below for an Epic Fail on my part in attaching a Quote.  smile

Curt

*A coaxial output would require the use of a HAT (Hardware added atop)

Would this work?
Could I  stream
Nas to pi4?

*See PcPs documentation for NAS usage:

https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_network_share/

Then usb from pi to adi?

* Yup!!!  Works a treat.

* Highest rate material I have is 192/24.   Yes, Pi will accomodate very high SR material.  Max rate is apt to be dictated by the Player Sftwr you use.  There is commentary from persons who are allegedly running 768khz, but I cannot attest to this from any personal experience in doing so.

*Nope   (Well, a $20 Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse would be helpful during set-up)

*The Starter Kit I linked above has all you need to get going, including HDMI cables for you to attach your own Video monitor.

Hope that was at least minimally helpful!  wink

Good Luck Terry!

Have Fun

Curt

Thanx Curt.

Terry, you responded as I was adding a note regarding a Super-Duper case for your Pi.   Bounce back up to my last post if you would.

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Terry, you responded as I was adding a note regarding a Super-Duper case for your Pi.   Bounce back up to my last post if you would.

Curt

Nice.  Thanks curt.

Curt.
I watched Hans Beekhuyzen Channel.
Iam a little confused by his comments.

He says that pi 4 gives poor sound performance,  due to the power supply,
Not sure if he’s talking about an add on sound card or when connected to external dac like adi 2.....
Is the pi bitferfect when using adi 2 dac fs?

22 (edited by Curt962 2021-05-11 13:37:28)

Terry,

Not unusual for some Golden-Eared Audiophile to make such comments without describing their Review Methodology, nor providing any supporting data. 

The Pi-4, and it's supporting Sftwr is indeed "Bit Perfect" , and that's not me subjectively guessing, but rather my ADI-2 DAC reporting it so via the Bit Test function.  Pass or Fail.  The Bit Patterns either match 100%, or they don't.   No Gray Areas that are subject to Audiophile interpretation. 

Let's not have you go down the Subjective Review Rat Hole.  You'll be fine.   Trust me!   These "reviewers" will have you de-gaussing TOS cables, and "auditioning" Ethernet Cable Polish before you know it.   It gets weird.  wink

Curt

23 (edited by superdrive 2021-05-11 23:56:41)

MPD on Linux. (Pi or PC)

https://www.musicpd.org

Hi folks,

does anybody know about or even use Volumio? I have a lifetime license and am using it on two Raspis along with Tidal. One of them is connected to an ADI2 DAC. Really great stuff and if you don‘t need streaming service support or one of the other „premium“ features it is free of charge! Remote Control via web browser with any device that provides one and which is part of the same network.

Cheers
Olli

RME ADI2-DAC FS | Intel NUC8i7
Rotel RB1582 MKII amp
Infinity Kappa 8.2i speakers
Audirvana player

Curt962 wrote:

Tom,

Suppose we think you have a fine idea?! smile

You could connect to your PC, or...a Streamer that you choose, and be quite happy!  Assuming a Bit-Perfect path?  There would be no SQ difference either way. 

I'm a big fan of Streamers, and with appropriate software, they're a Window to The World.   A Raspberry Pi-4 is my newest thing, and amazingly inexpensive ($100) given it's capabilities. *Hand Not Included.

Can you imagine THIS tiny device in your Gear Stack?   Connect via USB straight to your RME  No addt'l BS needed. wink

https://i.ibb.co/xqSzfJV/20201216-144111.jpg

Jump in Tom!!

I'm in the U.S.   Why a German Radio Sender?    Because I can!  smile

https://i.ibb.co/48VGFKh/20210425-111540.jpg

Lots of Fun to be had!

I added a really cool IPS screen to the HDMI port of the Rpi.   It's awesome.  I can see Album art, or Track metadata from anywhere now.   No more "Mini-Screen" LED that requires binoculars...

Enjoy!!   Curt

Curt
Just setup pi with adi, sounds brill.
Just made a new post,  have a read. Strange bitrate reads outs.

26 (edited by Curt962 2021-05-13 02:44:50)

Terrys!

Sweet!   It seems you conquered the Sample Rate question yourself, so...

Qeue up some Music, un-mute the RME, and...ENJOY!

Best,

Curt

*  Late Note:   I'm genuinely Happy for You.  I really wanted one of the thread participants to Jump In, and see for yourselves what YOU can accomplish in one short afternoon.  Now you're beginning to see that you DON'T need Ethernet Polish, Bit Floss, nor Cryo'd Data Packets.  wink

https://i.ibb.co/7rd30fd/14619595.jpg

You did it!   Good Stuff Mate!

I have a RPi4 using the stock PS and Volumio on my iMac and MacBook Pro. It's bit-perfect and sounds wonderful. All-in-all I am very impressed (especially given the low cost). I have a USB stick and external SSD feeding the RPi as well.  The RPI can get somewhat warm so would urge everyone to buy a heatsink/metal case to put it in.

I find Volumio easier to set up cf other such 'players'; there are many guides on the web as well as on the Volumio website.

...and I chose Picore because of it's ability to Automatically Integrate with my ages old LMS.  No matter, there are fine Operating Sftwr choices for everyone.  In the end, We all Win!

In the Final Analysis, this has been a Civilized, and Productive thread, and no doubt, one of Great Value to the Silent Masses who sit on the fringes looking in. 

Good Job All!

Curt

29 (edited by terrys999 2021-05-15 17:22:28)

I just added an armoured case alum....  to the pi 4b

I wasn’t very impressed with temps, i noticed using usb 3 especially got extremely hot,  when playing music.
I used a stress test   Idle temp was 52c  max temp on stress all cores   70c.

So I improvised. I used a Corsair fan from an pc radiator .
Placed it on stand.  Used 4 thin plastic dowels  now it stands above the pi.

I used a cheap switch regulated psu With voltage settings 1.2 v 3 v. Up to 9 v.

Dam. Works a treat  idle temp 28c. Stress test 38c

It’s whisper quiet.  Well impressed.

30 (edited by Curt962 2021-05-15 17:41:37)

Hi Terry!

It's been said that "a Picture is Worth a Thousand Words..."  wink

I'd love to see your Cooling arrangement!   That sounds "Cool"  in the most literal sense of the word.  (pun intended)

Good Stuff!

Curt

PS:  Pi Specs state CPU throttling occurs at 80C.   85C is venturing into danger.   In my few months of monitoring CPU temps, I'm consistently seeing 50C (+/- 2C) thus suggesting that Streaming Audio doesn't tax the machine at all. 

One hour, or Twelve.   Temp seems consistent, yet I'm in complete agreement with you that Cooler is better.  There was also a somewhat recent FW update to the Pi4  that allowed for I believe better power management, and slightly reduced CPU temps.

31 (edited by DomieMic65 2021-05-16 14:40:54)

for the somehow more advanced users:

1) gentooplayer.com is a great option (with great number of options and optimizations. Latest version 6.0. Great support from the dev too)

and

2) archphile.org (somehow old but still great for the absolute minimalists)

Meanwhile -

Apple Music in HD in the second half of the year.
Would this also be a closed API?

Athos wrote:

Meanwhile -

Apple Music in HD in the second half of the year.
Would this also be a closed API?

the answer is simple: Apple smile

34 (edited by Curt962 2021-05-26 01:31:13)

After weeks away...

I got home, and Wife (Teacher) , and I are jammin' on Children's Music.  I KNOW my $0.99 Kiddie Albums!  smile

*Don't Laugh!  Some of these $0.99ers are fine examples of minimalist, yet highly enjoyable pieces of production.  We Love 'em!

Here's a Screen Grab of my Smartphone Remote App.

https://i.ibb.co/CwfzBkT/Screenshot-20210525-190312-Squeezer.jpg

"Squeezer"App.  Flawless, no hidden BS, and it's Free!

I love my Pi, but if you haven't already,  you should all seriously consider the RME as your DAC!  wink  It's Great!  The RME is the Ultimate Compliment to the Pi.

You already knew that...

Have fun all!