Topic: Clock Source settings for Babyface Pro

The whole area of clock sources always does my head in.. appreciate any guidance anyone could offer here:

Setup #1: Using the Babyface Pro to talk to my DAW (Logic Pro X) running on a Macbook Pro => should my clock source be set to "Internal" or "Optical In"?

Setup #2: Adding the Behringer ADA8200 Interface to expand ins & outs via the ADAT ports => does this then require a change clock source configuration between the RME & Behringer unit?

Setup #3: I have a dbx 376 Tube Channel Strip with Digital Out (AES/EBU and S/PDIF) which I like to use for some of my recordings also. How would patch this unit into the mix with the Babyface & Behringer running at the same time? And how would that also affect the clock source settings?

Sincerely appreciate your guidance on all this.. with thx :~)

2 (edited by vinark 2021-05-21 10:43:25)

Re: Clock Source settings for Babyface Pro

1. Internal
2  BF internal Behringer optical in
3 BF has no second digital in or out. Only the optical.
So connect it analogue either to the babyface or Behringer. Bf is best and if possible use XLR.
This will give better results then the digital out of the DBX if it is an analogue device since the bf converters are newer and better and lower jitter.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

The ada8200 has optical in and out. It is best to connect both and set the ada8200 to external clock. That way you can use the Babyface for clocking.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Thx so much for response sincerely appreciated.. that's a gr9 help.

The other question I was going to ask => If I unplugged the Behringer when I wanted to use the DBX device to track something.. could I do that from the SPDIF on the DBX devise (via a convertor) to a toslink "in" on Babyface? But based on your comment it seems that I'm better off going straight out of the DBX into Bf via Analogue Output?   

vinark wrote:

1. Internal
2.  BF internal Behringer optical in
3. BF has no second digital in or out. Only the optical.
So connect it analogue either to the babyface or Behringer. Bf is best and if possible use XLR.
This will give better results then the digital out of the DBX if it is an analogue device since the bf converters are newer and better and lower jitter.

Appreciate your response.. thank you :~)

mkok wrote:

The ada8200 has optical in and out. It is best to connect both and set the ada8200 to external clock. That way you can use the Babyface for clocking.

6 (edited by vinark 2021-05-21 18:58:02)

djlv wrote:

Thx so much for response sincerely appreciated.. that's a gr9 help.

The other question I was going to ask => If I unplugged the Behringer when I wanted to use the DBX device to track something.. could I do that from the SPDIF on the DBX devise (via a convertor) to a toslink "in" on Babyface? But based on your comment it seems that I'm better off going straight out of the DBX into Bf via Analogue Output?

Absolutely, easier ánd better.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

7 (edited by djlv 2021-05-22 04:05:35)

This has been a wonderful revelation.. so no need to source a spdif to toslink adapter.. thx again your guidance on this. Sincerely appreciated :~)

vinark wrote:
djlv wrote:

Absolutely, easier ánd better.