I have a MADI loop set up going from the UFX+ to the 12mic, then to the XTC, and finally back to the UFX+. To my understanding, this should work fine. I could change it around if nothing else works.
There must be a reason why this does not work, otherwise it would work... ;-)
I identified already several things in your setup that are IMHO wrong or missing.
1. MADI ID 0 questionable .. from what I know you need to use 1..8
2. Would be better to use Auto-CA for automatic setting of MADI ID and routing of the 8ch of the XTC
Then its more likely that no settings in the XTC are missing in terms of routing on the XTC
3. For this the order of devices suboptimal, better:
- 1st the devices who autodetect their position on MADI bus and follow the traditional 8-port scheme XTC (or XTC's)
- THEN devices which break the 8-port schema by having 12 ports
4. TM FX config in terms of Auxdevice was wrong, it was not configured to use MIDI over MADI
5. The routing of channels on 12Mic is most likely not complete, you need to route also those madi channels
through this device, otherwise the next device does not get MADI data
and perhaps also:
6. Settings on all devices for 64ch and 96k frame format ?
7. UFX+ clock master (clock source internal) and all other devices get clock from MADI optical ?
I implemented already three different MADI scenarios successfully:
a) UFX+, 2x XTC
b) HDSPe MADI FX, XTC, ADI-8QS and on the 2nd of the three MADI busses an UFX+ simply as a recorder (DURec)
c) UFX+, XTC, 12Mic ..
And c) is the one that you also want to implement .. it just works here ...
If you do not get both devices implemented then simplify the setup.
Start with one device and again my recommendation to use the XTC 1st because only this way it is possible to mix devices coming from a different design background. The XTC is from a time of 8-port devices with special MADI features like Auto-ID and Auto-CA but which require this 8-port schema (pls. check XTC manual it's explained therein).
The 12Mic has no extended RME MADI features because it has been designed with primarily AVB networks and higher port densities in mind. By this such features like Auto-ID and Auto-CA are not possible.
And IMHO the only way, so that this can work is, that you put the devices with capabilities to detect their MADI ID (1..8 !! Not starting with zero), make delay compensation and to perform an automatic channel assignment
And the automatic detection of MADI ID has also something to do with the physical order of the devices on the bus.
You also need to look, best not to create any holes in the numbering of channels
1..12 = 12Mic
13-16 = unused (then you have a hole in the numbering, how cool is that ?!)
17-24 = XTC ?
Wouldn't it be better to have
1..8 = XTC1
9..20 = 12Mic
And if you think about this further, what if you have 2x XTC and 1x 12Mic ?
1..8 = XTC1 (Auto-CA for easier setup)
9..16 = XTC2 (Auto-CA for easier setup)
17..28 = 12Mic
Simplify the setup for 12Mic alone
This little "trick" to simplify the setup you should maybe also use for the 12Mic. To become familiar with the routing on the device until the UFX+ gets audio data ... Then also the passing through of other channels works.
Here an example how to configure it with two XTCs ...
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … Cber-MADI/
In this review you find different combinations of XTC and 12Mic
Simply read this to get a feeling what combinations make sense and then please follow the logic XTCs first, then 12Mics.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … XTC-DE-EN/
And as I said, start with the XTC so that you get a valid configuration with
- XTC properly configured and using Auto-CA (because that also does the routing task from/to MADI on the device)
- TM FX properly configured to choos the proper MIDI IN/OUT channels .. and #3 is MIDI over MADI using optical
If this works .. then you can start adding the 12Mic as the 2nd device, because then you know all other things were configured properly and you could see this already in action.
Remember, Auxdevice support for the 12Mic is promised but will need some more time than thought.
But on the 12Mic its cruicial that you configure the routing properly.
Not only for the device itself even for passing the other MADI channels through.
Otherwise the UFX+ doesn't get anything back from other devices on the MADI chain.
So no only route 12 Mic ports to MADI channels 9-20.
But you also need to route
- from MADI channel 1.. 8 IN to channel 1- 8 OUT
- from MADI channel 21..64 IN to channel 21-64 OUT
UFX+, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub12Pro