1 (edited by john34 2021-05-30 13:57:13)

Topic: Emphasis

Is it possible to add an emphasis flag to flac files so that adi-2 detects it with de-emphasis setting on auto?

Btw.: does adi-2 use analog filters to apply deemph or is it done in digital domain?

2 (edited by KaiS 2021-05-30 14:12:38)

Re: Emphasis

john34 wrote:

Btw.: does adi-2 use analog filters to apply deemph or is it done in digital domain?

Digital.

Gives more level headroom and is more precise, and skips one more analog stage.

You could remove the preemphasis when generating the FLAC file (out of a CD I guess).
That’s what we do in the studio.

Thx! What tool do you use for conversion? What is the best way to identify emphasis in rips? As far as I know, eac only identifies emphasis info written in Toc.

John,

I've used DbPoweramp as my Ripper/Format converter for years. 

It will identify a CD with Pre-emph applied, and display this in the "Track Technical" tab.   It does not however allow you to remove the Pre-emphasis.   I believe also, that back when Pre-Emphasis was more common, there was great inconsistency in flagging this in a CDs TOC.   Some did. Some didn't.

Fortunately, this isn't the sort of thing I encounter to any appreciable degree. 

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

john34 wrote:

Thx! What tool do you use for conversion? What is the best way to identify emphasis in rips? As far as I know, eac only identifies emphasis info written in Toc.

I do use my professional DAW (Sequoia) for this.
Most Audio-Editors will work, Deemphasis is a simple EQ-curve that can be replicated with most EQs.

Usually the flag is there if you start with an original, commercial CD.
To identify pre-emphasized tracks you can listen, if no flag is present.
The 6 dB treble boost is quite obvious most of the time.
Some older recordings might even benefit from the boost, then you can leave it.

john34 wrote:

Is it possible to add an emphasis flag to flac files so that adi-2 detects it with de-emphasis setting on auto?

Flac can choose to embed the flag in header.
Also doable in cue playlists.

USB audio does not support pre emph bit

You can do it via spdif, coax or aes. As long as you know how to program the output correctly.

The alternative is to use music players’ dsp plugins instead. Many have them.

Aid-2’s de emph is based on dac chip’s hardware dsp. Not an analog one.

7 (edited by ning 2021-05-30 20:41:41)

john34 wrote:

Various tools allow you to do de emph before saving to flac. For instance, on Linux cdda2wav has a flag where you can apply the digitally filter when preemph is detected. On Mac iTunes support de emph when ripping. I think similar thing is available on windows media player as well.