1 (edited by Max 2022-03-12 02:19:31)

Topic: Beta Firmwares for 12Mic and AVB Tool (1.5.0)

We are releasing a beta version of the upcoming firmware 1.5.0 for 12Mic and AVB Tool for testing.

Numerous features, fixes and improvements made it to this beta version:

• improved MIDI remote controls

• fixed: MILAN counters

• improved: MILAN compatibility

• fixed: under specific circumstances, the previous 1.4.0 firmware could cause presets to get corrupted

• and many more.

Download is here:
[Edit] Links removed as version has been released already

Feel free to test - we appreciate your feedback.

Best regards,
Max
RME

Re: Beta Firmwares for 12Mic and AVB Tool (1.5.0)

Hi Max,
what is meant by
improved: MIDI control
?

Does it mean I can control the 12mic now with Midi? (Midi Remote, Totalmix?)?

Thanks for a clarification,
Georg

Hi Georg,

MIDI control has always been "there", however it was undocumented because we wanted to change a few major things that would break compatibility. With this firmware, we will publish the SysEx commands to control the 12Mic (and AVB Tool) with MIDI over MADI.

TotalMix AUX Device support is on our list. For those users who rely on MIDI control in their workflow and need something urgently, we have created an application called "MIDI Remote AVB" for Windows and macOS. I will post links to a beta version to try out tomorrow.

Best regards,
Max

Great, I would really need that. I have cobbled something together using an old WLAN router, but it would be so much more elegant to control the 12Mic over Midi, as I do with the Octamic XTC.
Georg

Many thanks Max for this information.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I have an issue in a setup with 1 AVB tool, 3 12 Mic and 1 DIGIFACE AVB.

Whenever I switch off any device the AVB setup will not recover. Every setting is like before, but I have to remove all the stream settings of the AVB TOOL and reconnect all devices in the AVB controller before the clock recovers.

AVB is clockmaster as it is our monitoring device in the control room.
I wanted to be able to listen even when the 12 mics are turned off and not risk the clocking of the entire system if I have to restart the computer.

As it is now, I totally have to avoid ever switching off anything during a week of recording. I've several times barely made it on time resetting everything in the morning before the orchestra wanted to start.

Do you think the device is faulty?

Today I updated everything to 1.3 firmware which doesn't seem to solve the problems.

Hi Thore,

you mention you updated to 1.3.0 -> please test firmware 1.4 - the one this thread is about. I updated the links above today with the latest release candidate.

To discuss further details regarding your specific problem, please open a separate topic, along with the following information:

- stream format between AVB Tool and other devices (ie. AAF, 96 kHz, 8 Ch.)
- is the same outgoing stream (ie. Stream 1) from the AVB Tool source for all remaining AVB devices, or are you connecting different streams to different devices?
- the switch model used
- you mention that you have to change stream settings of the AVB Tool (Clock Master) in order to be able to reconnect from a controller. Could you explain what setting you are changing?
- could you observe the information AVB Tool > i (third button) > LAN Info > gPTP Grandmaster: in a normal working setup as you describe, the string should not start with "48:0b:b2" while your devices are up and running, and also should not change when you power off one of the other AVB devices. If it does at any time toggle to a string with "48:0b:b2" (the field automatically updates), this would be interesting to know.

Best regards,
Max

Max wrote:

...TotalMix AUX Device support is on our list...

Any ETA on this feature? I'm currently shopping for preamps and if it's not too far ahead, I'd prefer the Mic 12 over the Octamic XTC.

And will this work with the first generation of Fireface UFX?

Being able to control gains through Totalmix FX is crucial to my workflow.

Thanks,

Updated Beta firmwares in the first post, with Beta 8:

- fix: earlier 1.5.0 beta versions left the Windows USB connection unusable
- AVDECC fixes (thanks to damarco, ref. separate post

Firmware 1.0.5b8
Upload all presets does not work. Single presets can be downloaded and uploaded, but not all presets.
Georg

Hi Georg,

Upload all presets does not work. Single presets can be downloaded and uploaded, but not all presets.

thanks for notifying us. We found out that there was a problem when migrating existing presets coming from any firmware 1.3.0 or earlier to 1.4.0 or newer, including up to 1.5.0b8. When performing that update, individual presets may have become corrupted under rare circumstances. Those presets could still be downloaded (but not loaded). A subsequent upload of those presets would fail (or a tar-import of all presets would be interrupted when reaching a corrupted preset). Loading a corrupted preset would simply load factory presets since the preset is checked for integrity before loading.

If you have loaded a preset on a firmware version newer than 1.4.0 successfully, the preset works correctly and can be downloaded and later-on uploaded with any other firmware version. We have not received any reports on this problem before your post, therefore we expect the problem to be quite isolated. Regardless, the underlying cause was fixed with beta 14 (uploaded above), which can safely be installed on all firmware versions without causing this type of problem.

Updated Beta firmwares in the first post, with Beta 14:
- fixed an issue that would under some circumstances cause corrupted presets when updating firmware
- minor improvements to MIDI message handling