Topic: MBP '19 / Big Sur not recognizing FF400 after installing Babyface

Hi guys, please help!

I recently got a new MacBook Pro Late 2019 with macOS 11 Big Sur, connected to a Fireface 400 which I use for live performances, using TB3->TB2 adapter + TB2 -> Firewire adapter.

I installed the latest driver as suggested on the RME website, Version 3.40, for macOS 11 only
FIREFACE 400 WAS WORKING GREAT, both the driver settings and Totalmix

Afterwards I decided to use my in-house Babyface with my computer in the meantime.

Babyface didn't get recognized, so I installed the suitable Babyface driver as suggested on the RME website - USB 2/3 driver for macOS 11 and up. Version 3.25. BABYFACE was working great.

When I came to the show, FIREFACE 400 was no longer getting recognized by the Macbook Pro.

What I tried:
1. Reinstalling Driver Version 3.40
2. Completely trashing all RME related files on my computer according the list found in this link (the ones I could find): https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=9233 + Reinstalling Driver Version 3.40
3. Rebooting the computer after every try.
4. Checking the "Privacy" settings to make sure Big Sur isn't blocking it
5. Replacing cables and USB-C ports
6. Checking the FireFace on another computer (worked)

Please help!

Re: MBP '19 / Big Sur not recognizing FF400 after installing Babyface

Not that I can help, but having similar issues. Do you by chance run any Universal Audio satellite units on that machine?

Are you sure the FF400 does not start to work right after reinstalling the driver and maybe unplug/plug FireWire? So before reboot? That effect is known meanwhile, seems to be a macOS 11.4 bug, and can be fixed by rebuilding the whole Allow list as described here:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 66#p171266

and following posts. We have a lot of positive feedback in support for this fix.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by SchwobSchwob 2022-04-24 13:49:47)

I'm having a similar issue on OS X 11.6.2 on a MacBook Pro 2017. I'm also using this with the adapter chain Thunderbolt3-Thunerbolt2-Firewire800. The configuration used to work properly and I have recorded many hours of 96khz audio with it flawlessly.

Then I didn't use it for a while and just today I booted up my rig and the MacBook doesn't use FireFace 400 any more. I tried removing the drivers and re-installing them, but in the OS X security settings, the option to grant RME drivers access does not show up anymore. The host LED remains red, the Fireface Setting program does not start.

The very same rig runs smoothly on Kubuntu 18.04 on a Thinkpad t470 (including the weird adapter chain of Apple hardware). So I can rule out cables or hardware defects. However, there is no TotalMix on Linux, and the ffado-mixer is a rather weak replacement.

It turned out that loading the driver manually on the command line as explained in the Link by @MC also works for the FF400 (you need to adapt the command to use the appropriate firewire driver).  Needless to say, the operation does not have a persistent effect and needs to be re-conducted after each reboot. Also the host LED may remain light up red, which may indicate a problem. In this case, re-pluggin the interface seems to help.

However, there's one thing to add to this: The MacBook Pro 2017 in its version with only two Thunderbolt 3 connectors reports a lack of electric power when you've plugged in an USB adaptor two the socket not used for the weird chain connecting the FF400. Even when the power supply is plugged into that USB adaptor. It appears to me that in this case the weird adaptor chain providing FireWire 800 also does not work properly. So if you're running into trouble, it might be a good idea to disconnect everything except for the power supply and the FF400.

The correct link (meanwhile) would be this:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33277

Also make sure the FF400 is used with its own power supply, with the switch on the back in the correct position.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by SchwobSchwob 2022-05-04 18:05:52)

Note that updating to 12.3.1 macOS Monterey apparently solved the problem for me. After hot-plugging the weirdo adapter chain from Firewire 400 to Thunderbolt 3, with the FF400 attached, the Fireface config app and TotalMix automagically fired up and made sense.

Still there seem to be some bad cases of paranoia around in OSX with Monterey as I can't operate Dante Controller anymore, which of course is not a topic in the RME forum, apart from the Digiface Dante perhaps. Things need updating, I guess.