Topic: RME Fireface 802 & UAD Apollo X4

Hey everyone

In addition to my RME Fireface 802 I got an Apollo X4 last year. For Monitoring I want to use the Apollo X4 DA and I also want to use the clocking from the Apollo. But I also want to use RME Totalmix and the Digicheck Analyser.

So my routing is:

RME Fireface is the main audio interface. Then I send the masterout to the ADAT 5-6. The 2nd ADAT out on the RME is going to the Apollo X4 into the ADAT in. On the Apollo X4 I send the Adat to the main out and this is connected to my speakers. On both units I run in the same sample rate (96khz). Apollo is the clock master, and RME is set to "get clocking from ADAT2 in" (ofcourse RME Adat 2 in is connected to Apollo Adat out).

It works. I hear the sound and the Digicheck is working nicely.

But when I select the Apollo as the audio interface in the preferences, I can hear a difference in sound. It sounds more smooth, especially in the midrange and it sounds a bit more wider.

When I go via total mix and RME fireface, it sounds similar to when I listen to the fireface directly ... a bit harder in bass, less smooth and a little bit harshness in the top end.

So my questions is: how can this be? In both scenarios the Apollo X4 does the DA converversion. There should be no difference in sound. But it´s there. Is this to the clocking maybe or the RME total mix? Does anyone have similar experience?

Re: RME Fireface 802 & UAD Apollo X4

Hello!

I 've no experience with the x4 Apollo Interface, but here are some things you could check:

On the FF 802,
- Make sure that both the Hardware and Software Outputs faders, for the Outputs that you send to the Apollo, are set to 0dB.
- Make sure that you don't use any EQ or Compressor or other effect for that Output.
- Make sure that the Outputs are hard-panned Left and Right and that "M/S Processing" is de-activated.

On the Apollo X4,
- Make sure that you don't have any Plug-In applied in the respective Input(where the 802 signal arrives), in the "Console" App
- Make sure that the Input Fader is set to 0dB.
- Make sure that the Input is hard-panned Left and Right.

Do you still get the same behaviour?

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632