1 (edited by ramses 2021-06-17 20:04:32)

Topic: Windows 11

[ ... https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 52#p172152 ...]

Nah, Win11 will come with a f*ed up GUI wink We all needed the evolution to get a centered startmenue window which hides everything behind this window ..  of course users can only do one thing at a time .. makes sense .. 1 brain cell mode .. oh yeah!

If Microsoft were making cars we'd be pretty sure we'd get square wheels soon because it will be an innovative, mind-blowing experience to use, and we'll love them for that.

Somehow my anticipation is limited based on the experience of the last few years. The same people are still there ... they will certainly come up with even funnier ideas about what a user supposedly needs...

Looks that I need to use StartIsBack++ for even longer and Macrium Reflect will make my day  ;-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

2 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2021-06-18 02:25:50)

Re: Windows 11

Ramses wrote:

Nah, Win11 will come with a f*ed up GUI wink We all needed the evolution to get a centered start menue window which hides everything behind this window ..  of course users can only do one thing at a time .. makes sense .. 1 brain cell mode .. oh yeah!

Haa, ha! Maybe they should rename the new OS to "Window 11"

- Home Edition -> [x] Close
- Professional   -> [x] Close, [-] Minimize
- Enterprize        -> [x] Close, [-] Minimize, [] Maximize

big_smile big_smile

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

3 (edited by ramses 2021-06-18 06:22:04)

LOL wink

More useful features would be ... When the OS detects that a certain driver is running too long, that it immediately sends an email to the CEO and shareholders of that company to let them know that their drivers suck and are hindering audio processing wink

I miss improvements in the process scheduler area to prioritize applications with near real-time requirements.
My computer is quite powerful. But I still have some feeling that once I have heavy I/O on e.g. SATA/SSD, it somehow affects other things on my machine.

Remembering back to the days when I used a really wonderful Unix OS, no matter what load you had, you could just type on the console with no lag. Drivers and process schedulers just did their job. Even under heavy CPU, disk and network loads.

I think Microsoft has been setting the wrong priorities for many years ... and maybe even hiring the wrong people who no longer know what a customer expects from a system and how to design and compute performant operating systems.

We have systems with so many cores these days and in many cases even with a high single thread performance ... and you can produce wonderful benchmark results ... but when it comes to processing audio, I have the impression that all this performance goes "nada nada" ...

As vinark mentioned a few days ago ... the competition between nVidia and AMD can cause GPU drivers to run for too long (to produce the finest benchmark results) and thus produce a too high a DPC load, so audio is again compromised. IMHO this is totally unacceptable for operating systems.

I expect to be able to unpack a system and be able to do what I want, including audio processing, without having to come up with anything (customization, troubleshooting, measuring)  especially if I'm spending a lot of money on powerful components.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ramses wrote:

More useful features would be ... When the OS detects that a certain driver is running too long, that it immediately sends an email to the CEO and shareholders of that company to let them know that their drivers suck and are hindering audio processing

Haa, ha! Accompanied with an angry engineer's face!! smile

Ramses wrote:

I miss improvements in the process scheduler area to prioritize applications with near real-time requirements.
My computer is quite powerful. But I still have some feeling that once I have heavy I/O on e.g. SATA/SSD, it somehow affects other things on my machine.

Remembering back to the days when I used a really wonderful Unix OS, no matter what load you had, you could just type on the console with no lag. Drivers and process schedulers just did their job. Even under heavy CPU, disk and network loads.

I think Microsoft has been setting the wrong priorities for many years ... and maybe even hiring the wrong people who no longer know what a customer expects from a system and how to design and compute performant operating systems.

We have systems with so many cores these days and in many cases even with a high single thread performance ... and you can produce wonderful benchmark results ... but when it comes to processing audio, I have the impression that all this performance goes "nada nada" ...

As vinark mentioned a few days ago ... the competition between nVidia and AMD can cause GPU drivers to run for too long (to produce the finest benchmark results) and thus produce a too high a DPC load, so audio is again compromised. IMHO this is totally unacceptable for operating systems.

I expect to be able to unpack a system and be able to do what I want, including audio processing, without having to come up with anything (customization, troubleshooting, measuring)  especially if I'm spending a lot of money on powerful components.

Could not agree, more!!
I think, that they have resided to just use fixed(large) buffering for everything, instead of dynamically allocating buffer sizes for processes, depending on each system.
I might be wrong, but this is how I percieve it!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Will there be a new release from rme for windows 11?

If I remember right MC already confirmed in this forum that the drivers work on windows 11.
It also works for me on my parallel Windows 11 test installation. But only quick checks, no longer testing.
I will stay on 10 and my current HW as long as possible and then look what gives the biggest bang for the buck.