Topic: What Sw playback channel is what output #?

I'm so confused...

I've got a MADI FX, connected as follows:
MADI 1 -> SSL Alphalink -> 56 Channel mode
MADI 2 -> Behringer X32 -> 64 channel mode

I'm trying to figure out the routing from the SW playback section of totalmix to the X32 attached to MADI 2

It seems that in the SW playback (bottom row on totalmix) that AES is output 1, then something called PH (named the same in Hardware inputs), then the outputs of my Alphalink.

I can't tell where the outputs from MADI 1 end, and MADI 2 begin....it's so frustrating. Similar situation on the inputs. Despite MADI 1 being attached to my Alphalink, the first analog channel from it shows up on input 25 (first row Totalmix). It was a guessing game to figure this out. The hardware outputs seem to match the numbers on my Alphalink...but I can't figure out where MADI 2 begins.

Is there any way to take the guessing out of the routing? Why are my 1st 24 channels blank? The manual seems quite silent on this....

2 (edited by ramses 2021-06-19 12:41:08)

Re: What Sw playback channel is what output #?

Hi Kris,

sorry that you have a hard time with this setup, maybe I can help to bring a little structure and clarity into it.
I also had the HDSPe MADI FX card here for evaluation: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … Pro-FS-BE/

Maybe difficult at the beginning having to digest
- that many channels with 3 busses
- that you do not have to take care of TM FX routing alone
- you also have to configure routing on each of the MADI devices from which channels you read and to which you write
But its doable .. lets see whether we get it done ;-)

You have 64 channels in TM FX for each of the 3 MADI busses of your HDSPe MADI FX.
Even if you use MADI format of 56ch, then you see in TM FX still 64 channels (checked with UFX+).

So you have the following MADI channels on the three busses of your HDSPe MADI FX card:
MADI BUS 1: 001..064
MADI BUS 2: 065..128
MADI BUS 3: 129..192

BTW: I hope you have no MADI channels hidden, otherwise check TM FX -> Options -> Channel Layout.
For the beginning I would suggest to keep all channels visible, later you can hide those, that you do not require.
Maybe at a later point you might need the unused one for loopback stuff ....

You didn't tell which Alphalink you have exactly. As you talk about analog and aes channels I assume it might be this one.
SSL Alphalink SX: https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelans … -test.html
It has 24 AES and 24 analog channels.
You need to configure routing on the front of the device, that AES and Analog channels are being routed to MADI,
as you can see in the picture below that I found in the review on Bonedo.
Then the 1st 24ch are most likely for AES, the next 24ch for Analog.

Input channels:
MADI1: ch1..24 = Alphalink AES Inputs
MADI1: ch25..48 = Alphalink Analog Inputs
Output channels:
MADI1: ch1..24 = Alphalink AES Outputs
MADI1: ch25..48 = Alphalink Analog Outputs

You mentioned that you found your 1st analog channel on MADI channel 25 ... sounds reasonable.

https://www.bonedo.de/fileadmin/_processed_/5/a/csm_SSL_AlphaLinkSX_04_Lights3_d73fa08222.jpg

> Is there any way to take the guessing out of the routing?
> Why are my 1st 24 channels blank? The manual seems quite silent on this....

The first 24 channels on Bus 1 are most likely empty, because you might have forgotten to route AES to them ?!
Or maybe AES is simply not in use, so what should you see there ?!
To which manual do you refer to here ?

I think you need to make yourself familiar with the Alphalink and X32 and properly route channels from/to MADI.
And do not forget, TM FX knows that this card has three MADI busses.
But the Alphalink and the X32 only know the MADI bus to which it is connected to .. ch 1..64.
I think this concept is also important to understand the routing from/to MADI that you have to configure on each of the MADI devices.

Best is to make yourself an Excel Sheet with the mapping of the channels on the two busses.

Once the routing on the MADI devices has been done properly, the rest is the usual routing in TM FX, easiest in submix mode.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks so much for the reply....I'll get through it; I just need to be a bit more patient.

My Alphalink is the MADI-Sx model with the ADAT I/O as well (which I am not using). Things were just a little bit clearer/easier when I was using the ADAT I/O back with my 9652 card, because as far as I remember the physical connector was labelled in the mixer by default (e.g. Adat 2, etc). With the MADI-FX its just a whole lot of numbers. Your mapping above is helping me sort it out.

So I guess that the 1st 24 channels of my MADI 1 (connected to my Alphalink Sx) are actually its ADAT inputs, and then channel 25 is the 1st Analog in. Similar to your description above, only Adat instead of AES.

I'll look to see my X32 inputs show up on Ch 65-128 (MADI-2). I'm still dealing with figuring out routing on that X32 mixer. I think I'll get the analog outs working first, and then move to the MADI connections.

Again thanks for your detailed reply....very helpful, and encouraging!!

You are welcome ;-) And let me know how it went !

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Success! I now have signal flowing...in, and out

There were a couple of spots that were a bit confusing:
1. I was a bit confused/surprised by the Alphalink having its ADAT inputs as Ch 1-24 on MADI-1, while its Analog Outputs were on Chan 1-24. Maybe I set it up that way on the Alphalink (not intentionally). It's a really difficult unit to configure...no GUI, just LEDs and buttons and lots of referencing the manual.
2. It wasn't obvious (to me) that Chan 65 is MADI-2. I think the confusing bit was that the Alphalink needs to be in 56 Channel mode, and I wasn't sure whether I would see MADI-2 on channel 57, or 65. It's all sorted now.

Thanks again for the encouragement. Now I need to sit and think about how best to organize my Totalmix/X32 setup smile

I will add that with this many channels, and routing options it helps to be methodical, patient...and sober (too many Gin-Tonics last night while trying to sort it out) smile

Cool, enjoy ! wink Just returned from shopping ... now getting some ice cream wink