Deutsch: https://netzpolitik.org/2021/audacity-a … en-teilen/

English: https://mixmag.net/read/software-audaci … ussia-tech
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57721967

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: Audacity - Spyware?

Dankeschön Daniel, gut zu wissen.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Storm in a teacup...

Audacity finally gets some financing. And telemetry. It was already decided this would be default off. So, no worries.

Some dingbats on Reddit started crying Wolf!

Main stream media pick it up and it gets blown completely out of proportion.

One of the redditeers forks Audacity and a few days later, abandons it. Tells his fellow dingbats he's been doxed and feels threatened.

Must've realised how big a project he took on. Audacity's codebase was finally weeded out from where the previous devteam left it many years ago. Took current devs nearly a decade...

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

I agree with this view. Blown out of proportion. It's a pity this project never got ASIO, which effectively prevented me from using it. Maybe the new owners can change that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I’ve seen these rumours also. I once looked at Audacity but found it very limiting and not very professional. For others I guess any improvement would be welcome. I stick with Cubase and Wavelab

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Possibly overblown, who knows. I'd prefer Reaper anyhow.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

The news that Muse was pouring money into the project, caught everybody off-guard.

People on the Audacity forum expressed some doubts about telemetry and the decision to have it default "off" was taken fast.

No problem, I'd think.

Then some people on Reddit found out Muse doesn't have a privacy statement. Muse is pretty new. So to counter, Muse copied some privacy statement...

That wasn't enough for the redditeers. The wording was wrong. Of course, it's legalese.

Apple, Google and a lot of other privacy statements are a lot worse. Not to mention FB.

Audacity certainly isn't spyware. Let's give Muse some time to adjust. The current developers badly need help. And I can't think of a better partner.

The damage is done. Let's hope this doesn't hurt long-time relations between current and future devs.

Audacity isn't a DAW. It's hard to compare. It's an editor.

For me, the biggest limitation is that it only allows stereo output for monitoring. However, if you are fi a narrator and only need one channel for input, Audacity is probably your best choice, as it is also far less complex than, fi Reaper. And it's tools for ACX compliance are second to none. No other DAW even comes close.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...