Topic: DSD file playback issue.

Hello:

I'm using a SMSL SD-9 hifi music player with an external HDD with all my music. The SMSL is plugged into my adi-2 FS through the coax line.

When I play a DSD file the adi-2 FS doesn't turn cyan color to let you know it's playing a DSD file. In the SMSL I have the DSD option set to output DSD file in DoP through the coax.. I have other options for DSD output ( D2P, DoP or DSD native) I know I can't do native unless I use the I2S or USB outputs so since I'm using the coax I thought DoP was the right choice but I'm not sure if the adi-2 FS can read a DSD file through coax.. Can anyone help explain this to me?

Thank you for your time.

2 (edited by ning 2021-07-22 06:47:55)

Re: DSD file playback issue.

adi-2 can read dop signal through coax without issue.
Don't know how your music player implements it, though.

when playing the file, do you hear sound / what does the spectrum meter display?
if it's just normal music and spectrum meter looks normal, music player must be sending PCM.
you need to ask the manufacturer (SMSL in this case) if this is a software bug or something.

playing DoP as PCM should only produce noise in very low volume, and spectrum meter should not displaying anything dynamic.
if this is the case, try adjusting the volume to the full on your music player and see if it resolve your issue --- any volume attenuation breaks the dop pattern.
also make sure adi-2 setting has "DSD Detection" option turned on.

I think DOP will only work at DSD64. A simple test here reads SYNC-172.6-DSD-24 with DoP from JRiverMC28 trough Digiface USB spdif optical out. Analyzer bars goes from yellow to orange. DSD*2 and upward dont work. S/R will be too high.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

The adi-2 FS just plays the dsd track as normal like any of my other files. I do have the adi-2 FS setting for dsd detection on. The adi-2 FS overview screen is reading as follow on the SP coax line
Sync = Sync
SR = 88.2
State = Cons
Bit = 24

I don't know how accurate this overview screen is cause ever since I got the smsl a few days ago I've noticed that as far as the Bit goes it is saying every song I listen to is 24Bit even when I'm listening to 16Bit files the adi-2 is saying there 24bit.. I know this may not have anything to do with my original problem I just find it strange that depending on the file I'm listening to the SR changes but the bit stays at 24.

ning wrote:

adi-2 can read dop signal through coax without issue.
Don't know how your music player implements it, though.

when playing the file, do you hear sound / what does the spectrum meter display?
if it's just normal music and spectrum meter looks normal, music player must be sending PCM.
you need to ask the manufacturer (SMSL in this case) if this is a software bug or something.

playing DoP as PCM should only produce noise in very low volume, and spectrum meter should not displaying anything dynamic.
if this is the case, try adjusting the volume to the full on your music player and see if it resolve your issue --- any volume attenuation breaks the dop pattern.
also make sure adi-2 setting has "DSD Detection" option turned on.

88.2 kHz can not be DSD. That starts at 176.4 kHz. -> Reason found.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry. I should have mentioned this in my original post. The file is saying it's 5644.8khz/1bit it's the adi-2 that's saying it's 88.2

MC wrote:

88.2 kHz can not be DSD. That starts at 176.4 kHz. -> Reason found.

7 (edited by ning 2021-07-22 12:22:36)

Spdif coax/opt does not support dsd 128 (5644.8khz/1bit). Only dsd 64 is supported.

Yes, and DSD64 is transmitted via 176.4 kHz as DoP.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh OK. Thank you very much for clearing this up. I really appreciate it.

ning wrote:

Spdif coax/opt does not support dsd 128 (5644.8khz/1bit). Only dsd 64 is supported.

OK. Thank you. At least I know that there is nothing wrong with my system. Thank you very much.

Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it.

MC wrote:

Yes, and DSD64 is transmitted via 176.4 kHz as DoP.

:: UPDATE :: Just wanted to put a little update here. I tried using an album that is DSD64 and all is working as it should be. Thank you all again for taking the time to read & answer my questions. You guy's rock!

13 (edited by terrys999 2021-07-23 09:27:34)

stealthbushido wrote:

Hello:

I'm using a SMSL SD-9 hifi music player with an external HDD with all my music. The SMSL is plugged into my adi-2 FS through the coax line.

When I play a DSD file the adi-2 FS doesn't turn cyan color to let you know it's playing a DSD file. In the SMSL I have the DSD option set to output DSD file in DoP through the coax.. I have other options for DSD output ( D2P, DoP or DSD native) I know I can't do native unless I use the I2S or USB outputs so since I'm using the coax I thought DoP was the right choice but I'm not sure if the adi-2 FS can read a DSD file through coax.. Can anyone help explain this to me?

Thank you for your time.

I play dsd from coax and optical to adi 2 dac fs .
It should work for you.
Oops  you fixed it! Nice