1 (edited by ramses 2021-06-08 09:25:15)

Topic: Loopback pre- or post-fader, what's your favourite?

For my personal taste the pre-fader implementation has the highest benefit, because by this you can still use the mute buttons on the outputs without impacting/canceling loopback operation.

I think it would be cool if the loopback operation in TM FX would default to pre-fader for all interfaces and on top of that be switchable between pre- and post fader if this would be possible from technical perspective.

I assume the implementation is not trivial, most likely the firmware and TM FX would need to be changed for the switching part if this would/could ever be implemented.

But, what's your opinion? In which "mode" do you see most advantages for your work / your use cases?

Here a diagram to make the two different implementations more clear:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/er6z3qq7ly30xgp/Loopback%20Pre-Post%20Fader.jpg?dl=1

Not that you wonder, I copy/pasted the mute button from TM FX and placed it into the block diagram over the symbol for the output fader to make clear, that mute operation is also behind the fader symbol.

Currently pre/post fader is implemented on the following interfaces (some examples):
pre-fader: UFX, UC, UCX, UCX II
post-fader: BBF *, Digiface USB, MADIface Pro/XT,  UFX II/+

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Loopback pre- or post-fader, what's your favourite?

Thanks for the clear illustration!
I see no advantage in the post-fader Loopback implementation. Maybe RME has recognised this and changed it in the new UCX II.

BUT: isn't that all software? Even what you call the "TM FX HW Output Fader" ? (with HW you mean hardware, I guess). Is it really hardware or hardwired?
Or could the Loopback behaviour be changed for other existing RME interfaces by a firmware and TM FX update?

3 (edited by ramses 2021-06-09 13:33:04)

Thanks lightbox, I didn't think of this case.

1st I was tempted to raise the request to change this for UFX+ (and UFX II), but if some customers - like you - would prefer post-fader, then such a change might be counter productive.

@RME: then it really would make sense to make this configurable, would that be possible ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

For submixes, wouldn't it be nice to have the loopback functionality possible on any of the outputs? (just one mono or stereo of course)
Then the pre/post question would solve itself -> POST

5 (edited by ramses 2021-06-10 07:20:12)

VayouApp wrote:

For submixes, wouldn't it be nice to have the loopback functionality possible on any of the outputs? (just one mono or stereo of course)

This is already the case, every HW output (no matter whether mono or stereo) supports looback operation.

VayouApp wrote:

Then the pre/post question would solve itself -> POST

No, because some (EDIT: RME-) interfaces have it implemented for each of their HW outputs to be either pre- or post-fader.

This is the reason for this thread to ask, what people would prefer.

Another question is - if switching would be possible - whether this would be possible on a per output channel basis or whether you would need to choose between pre/post fader for all outputs at once.

ramses wrote:

This is already the case, every HW output (no matter whether mono or stereo) supports looback operation.

Sorry, I forgot this, just used it on the main so far...

ramses wrote:

... some interfaces have it implemented for each of their HW outputs to be either pre- or post-fader.

if the competition can solve and offer it this flexible, it sounds like this should be possible for RME too. All the more with the reputation of RME and the powerful TM...

Sorry, but you misunderstood. Some RME interfaces have implemented loopback pre or post fader as I wrote in my 1st posting. As of today there is nothing compareable to TM FX from other vendors.

ramses wrote:

Sorry, but you misunderstood. Some RME interfaces have implemented loopback pre or post fader as I wrote in my 1st posting. As of today there is nothing compareable to TM FX from other vendors.

sorry for my misunderstanding!

I see, it's inconsistent.

I had some drawings according to this topic and put this all together and wrote a new blog article, available here:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ion-EN-DE/

Thanks, Ramses!!

Really helpful !
And very good info to know which models have pre or post fader implementation!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Thanks, Ramses!!

Really helpful !
And very good info to know which models have pre or post fader implementation!

Thanks, very nice from you :-)

I would like to buy the UFX II but the post-fader loopback implementation is a big turn-off. Any chance a switch could be implemented in software?

Fireface UCX II, BabyFace Pro, Fireface UFX, Fireface 400

Turned out to be too complicated under the hood. Sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Manuel wrote:

I would like to buy the UFX II but the post-fader loopback implementation is a big turn-off. Any chance a switch could be implemented in software?

How many loopbacks do you need ? Usually not that many ..
What about routing your submix to another unused output and using loopback there ?

15 (edited by Manuel 2022-01-12 22:19:04)

MC wrote:

Turned out to be too complicated under the hood. Sorry.

(apologies as I hadn't enabled notifications for this thread and posted the same question in multiple places hoping to get an answer more quickly—please ignore.)

Thanks for clarifying, Matthias. So basically the decision to use post-fader for the UFX II/+ was not a fun decision to make, I gather, but one that had to be made for technical reasons. No problema.

This had me confused for a while because of what you said in a reply to another user who actually wanted post-fader (can't please everyone...):

MC wrote:

This [pre-fader] is the right way to work. Otherwise you would ruin your recording by changing [output] volume all the time.

But I 100% agree with your reply big_smile and having worked with both the old UFX (pre-fader) and the Babyface Pro (post-fader), it can be confusing at first because both devices share the same familiar TM interface.

ramses wrote:

How many loopbacks do you need ? Usually not that many ..
What about routing your submix to another unused output and using loopback there ?

You are correct, I've never needed more than one. Of course with pre-fader, besides not "wasting" I/O, the main advantage is you are always sure you are getting the full-scale signal. Your proposed solution should work for me as I am nowhere near using all available I/O. I can always set and hide my "re-purposed" channels to prevent myself from moving the fader from unity.

Fireface UCX II, BabyFace Pro, Fireface UFX, Fireface 400