Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS headphone outputs only left side, quiet and distorted

My ADI-2 Pro FS only outputs sound on the left side of my unbalanced headphones (Focal Utopia) when it is plugged into either PH jack. The sound is very quiet and gets distorted and overloads when I turn the volume up (>30dB). This occurs in both low and high power mode. Additionally, if I unplug the jack slightly, it gets louder and both sides have sound but it is in mono. The ADI-2 Pro FS is in unbalanced headphones mode, and I have tested the headphones and cable from a different source and verified it is not the issue. Is there an incorrect setting I missed on the DAC or is it faulty?

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS headphone outputs only left side, quiet and distorted

Set the level meter to Post FX - it should show signal on both channels then. Do the rear outputs work correctly?

You wrote that it's the same for output 3/4 and 1/2. Usually I would have said hardware defect of one phones output, but these are completely separate, including a different DAC chip, so that is highly unlikely. It really looks like there is some setting wrong, or your souce is sending exactly that signal (see level meters).

Maybe do a factory reset...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by raphaelchang1227 2021-07-27 10:18:22)

The level meter had already been set to post FX and shows outputs on both sides. The rear outputs worked correctly. I tested both 3/4 and 1/2 using "dual phones mode", does this also use two completely separate outputs? Factory reset does not fix it.

I'm sorry, I just realized it was because I did not push the cable all the way in... hopefully I did not damage anything trying to drive a bad connection.

You cannot damage it, the protection circuits would step in before that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME