Topic: S/PDIF vs USB input

After I dig deeper to the manual of the DAC and my Mac Mini Audio Midi section, I found the Toslink output can select bit rate.

So is it an advantage to use Toslink from Mac Mini vs USB?

By the way, the MRC remote for the DAC, 5,6,7 is useless, right?

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Re: S/PDIF vs USB input

Johannes AU wrote:

After I dig deeper to the manual of the DAC and my Mac Mini Audio Midi section, I found the Toslink output can select bit rate.

no advantage. 16 and 24 bits source works bit perfect under 32bit .

for 5,6,7, you can't remap it as the Pro (this is what the manual said --- I dont have a DAC to test.)
but the COAX. OPT. USB function are still usable.

Johannes AU wrote:

Toslink has the advantage of eliminating the electrical connection (the Toslink cable is nonconductive plastic only).
In case you encounter hum / ground loop problems with ADI-2 connected to an amplifier this can be a solution.

USB in general offers higher sample and bitrates, so if you have very high res audio it could be played in it’s native format.
If you don’t have such audio, you won’t need this feature.

Remark: Don’t expect a normal resolution file to sound any better when played at higher than it’s native samplerate.

ning wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:

no advantage. 16 and 24 bits source works bit perfect under 32bit .

for 5,6,7, you can't remap it as the Pro (this is what the manual said --- I dont have a DAC to test.)
but the COAX. OPT. USB function are still usable.

I see, thank you :-)

KaiS wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:

Toslink has the advantage of eliminating the electrical connection (the Toslink cable is nonconductive plastic only).
In case you encounter hum / ground loop problems with ADI-2 connected to an amplifier this can be a solution.

USB in general offers higher sample and bitrates, so if you have very high res audio it could be played in it’s native format.
If you don’t have such audio, you won’t need this feature.

Remark: Don’t expect a normal resolution file to sound any better when played at higher than it’s native samplerate.

Verstanden und danke :-)