Topic: DAT Transfers

I'm trying to archive some old DATs.

I'm doing this via AES and set my UFX interface to check for this, which it does and chooses sample rate correctly to match the DAT.

I assumed that my DAW (Logic) would pick this up but it doesn't. It seems that I have to set the SR manually in Logic depending on the particular tape that I'm transferring. Is that expected, or am I missing a setting somewhere where it will just follow the interface? I would have thought that as the interface is clocking from the DAT, Logic would know this. Or, is Logic doing some SR conversion if the rate is set differently to the DAT/UFX?

The DATS are 16bit. I'm assuming that zeroes will be appended to create a 24-bit file. Is that correct?

Thanks!

UFX/MacMini OS 10.15.7/Logic Pro 10.6.3/Plugin Alliance

Re: DAT Transfers

I am not aware of any DAW or editor that would sync and follow the incoming clock. Logically that won't work as for example the wave files that the software writes need to be closed and new ones written every time the sample rate changes...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks.
Yes, that makes sense now as there could be different SRs on one tape!

Just to make sure I've understood this, Matthias.
The UFX is obviously synching to the clock from the DAT.
What is Logic syncing too? Or, is that not a relevant question as the information is already in a digital form when Logic receives it?
Thank you.

Logic syncs to CoreAudio. And CoreAudo syncs to the incoming clock from the driver, but only in a small range. It can not follow from 44.1 to 48. It can only stay in sync around 44.1 (the currently set sample rate). A coarsely changing sample rate requires the app to be re-configured.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME