1 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-08-01 18:04:18)

Topic: ADI-2 DAC Fs installation in boat/yacht

I would like to know, apart from stable dc power supply, prevent from moisture, etc. etc. what has to be take care/avoid?

Can it withstand vibration from low frequency vibration from engine, sea waves and rolling/pitching?

If it is mounted securely in a strong cabinet or rack, will it be all good?

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Re: ADI-2 DAC Fs installation in boat/yacht

Maybe a metal cage against shark attacks ;-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by Curt962 2021-08-01 20:15:48)

ramses wrote:

Excellent Suggestion Ramses!

"Barnacles" are my Pet Peeve, and how they are notorious for cluttering the Sound Stage, etc.

@Johannes, the Rolling/Pitching of a Boat should be of no concern, particularly in light of the "Handling" your RME received enroute to you.

Myself??

I keep my RME in a Safe, Climate Controlled Place.  Were I boating?  There would be other, less costly/risky methods of providing sounds to the excursion that I might employ.

BT Speakers are good for this.

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

ramses wrote:

That is a nice one :-D

Curt962 wrote:
ramses wrote:

Excellent Suggestion Ramses!

"Barnacles" are my Pet Peeve, and how they are notorious for cluttering the Sound Stage, etc.

@Johannes, the Rolling/Pitching of a Boat should be of no concern, particularly in light of the "Handling" your RME received enroute to you.

Myself??

I keep my RME in a Safe, Climate Controlled Place.  Were I boating?  There would be other, less costly/risky methods of providing sounds to the excursion that I might employ.

BT Speakers are good for this.

Curt

Good morning Curt,

I do not have a boat or yacht though I have licence, it is for my friend, he can afford an RME in the boat, but it is rather a waste, a lower level DAC is better, or as you said, BT is enough ... someone has a boat then RME cost him only peanuts....

But why not? if he buy one, then it is good for RME business, haha

Curt962 wrote:
ramses wrote:

Transport vibration is ok, and the DAC is not in use, no doubt about it.

Even when operating it, I myself think it should be ok, but asking is better than sorry when something bad happened. A lot of sensitive equipment on a boat, or aircraft works flawlessly (the only concern is when a boat hits a bow wave or stern wave from another boat which cause a sudden impact), so I think most likely it will be fine, just wonder some people said the sound wave in a listening room impacts the equipment exist....

> I do not have a boat or yacht though I have licence, it is for my friend, he can afford an RME in the boat, but it is rather a waste, a lower level DAC is better, or as you said, BT is enough ... someone has a boat then RME cost him only peanuts....

then no worries... if RME is just a peanut, he/she won't lose much by breaking it with vibration:)

AFAIK the ADI-2 FS is not rack mountable, the ADI-2 Pro however is. What I would recommend is to rack mount it with special dampening screws. There are a bunch on amazon, not sure exactly which ones you will need https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Vibra … e=16413771

Also there are special low humidity cabinets available, so this might be an option too. Although I would say on a yacht most likely the humidity would be less of a problem than the salt which might cause corrosion and so on.

9 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-08-02 10:42:43)

helohe wrote:

AFAIK the ADI-2 FS is not rack mountable, the ADI-2 Pro however is. What I would recommend is to rack mount it with special dampening screws. There are a bunch on amazon, not sure exactly which ones you will need https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Vibra … e=16413771

Also there are special low humidity cabinets available, so this might be an option too. Although I would say on a yacht most likely the humidity would be less of a problem than the salt which might cause corrosion and so on.

Thank you, seafarer knows the pros and cons of sea water. Humidity is something has tp deal with related to temperature change.

Those small cabinet for camera and lenses storage is good for electronics too, with a glass door then can see what is operating inside.