1 (edited by Aqualung 2021-07-30 13:19:32)

Topic: ADI-2 FS Bluetooth Optical Input Problem

I have been successfully using my iPhone 11 Pro Max connected to my RME via USB, and then to a Violectric V281. However, I just got an Audioengine b1 bluetooth receiver to connect to my RME.

I am using a TOSlink cable, not coax, initially trying it on Auto input.

When I first connected it 2 nights ago, I saw this error: "Non-Audio signal at SPDIF opt. input"

I *think* I changed the input to Optical, and it then seemed to work fine. I did have to turn the volume output to +6 or so, in order to hear it. I was using VOX Player, ALAC source files.

Now, I can't get it to play anything - I've switched between Auto and Optical input. I have noticed that when I try to play Spotify, I get a different error first, "Emphasis detected at SPDIF opt.  input", and then the "Non-Audio signal at SPDIF opt. input" appears, with no sound.

When I try to then play w/ the VOX player, it generally only shows the one error ""Non-Audio signal at SPDIF opt. input"

If I turn off BT and connect my phone via USB, it works fine.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Chris

Re: ADI-2 FS Bluetooth Optical Input Problem

Chris,

Let's begin with a few basic steps:

* Try a different TOS Cable
* Try another Optically connected device such as a CD Player to verify that your ADI-2 DAC Optical Input is indeed functioning
*Attach your AudioEngine BT Receiver to another unit with Optical Inputs to verify that the AE is working.

A simple process of elimination may lead us to an answer.

Best Wishes,

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Hi Curt,

I obtained another TOS cable, and tried it, fail.

I tried the Audioengine with both TOS cables going into a Yamaha receiver optical input - success.

I don't have a CD player (or any other device w/ optical output) handy, I may be able to get one over the weekend.

Thanks,

Chris

4 (edited by Curt962 2021-07-30 18:46:32)

Hmm.

Do you perhaps have a reasonably modern TV set?  They often have TOS outputs tucked away in the back.  Just a thought.

***But!!!

Chris, if you're in the US, it's still early enough in the day to refer the matter straight to RME Support, as I think that's where we're going.   It could be possible that the Sensitivity of the RME's Optical Input is set in such a way that the AE's output simply doesn't register correctly, and likely explains the "Non Audio Signal" message, and Muted output.

Let Support help you to get moving forward decisively with this matter.

Curt

5 (edited by Aqualung 2021-07-30 20:22:00)

Thanks Curt...I do have a TV w/ TOS output, will give that a try.

I am in the US; just to clarify/confirm, I should submit a support ticket myself - they're not reading this?

Chris

6 (edited by Curt962 2021-07-30 20:26:57)

Chris,

Let's get ahead of the matter, and have you put in a support ticket. 

Try the TV, but I suspect that your DAC may need an adjustment that is outside the scope of the forum to direct.

Wish you well,

Curt

Thanks Curt...

Chris

That would be the first and only unit so far with a broken TOSLINK input.  I wonder if you plugged the optical cable all the way in. Sometimes that needs some force.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Definitely all the way in, felt the 'click'.

Chris