1 (edited by artv 2021-08-07 10:57:32)

Topic: HDSP 9632 unable to change sample rate

I have a KDE Neon install where I intend to run ALSA only.

I have disabled pulseaudio by:

systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.socket pulseaudio.service
systemctl --user disable pulseaudio.socket pulseaudio.service
systemctl --user mask pulseaudio.socket pulseaudio.service

Then I moved my ".config/pulse" directory and added "autospawn=no" to "/etc/pulse.conf", just to be safe.

My ".asoundrc" is this one:
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=9166

As of now running "speaker-test -c 2"  works if I have "hdspconf" set up at 32/44/48 KHz.

Unfortunately I intend to work at 96KHz and I want to avoid unnecessary sample rate conversions. As soon as I change to other sample rates than 32-44-48KHz on "hdspconf" things are not working. I get:

$ speaker-test -c 2

speaker-test 1.2.2

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 128 to 4096
Period size range from 64 to 2048
Using max buffer size 4096
Periods = 4
Unable to set hw params for playback: Device or resource busy
Setting of hwparams failed: Device or resource busy

I tried to run on a bare i3 configuration. "fuser" shows that nothing is grabbing the driver. The device doesn't seem to be grabbed.

Running "strace", the cultrit seems to be:

ioctl(4, SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_HW_PARAMS, 0x7fff834a5dd0) = -1 EBUSY (Device or resource busy)

fd 4, where this ioctl is run, is "/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p".

openat(AT_FDCWD, "/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK|O_CLOEXEC) = 4

Permissions seem right. My user belongs to the audio group.

$ ls -al /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 2 aug  7 11:43 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p

Unrelated, "strace" shows that the "/etc/pulse.conf" is still accessed which was unexpected. Even when running "aplay".

Any ideas? Is this a known bug? Do I have to wipe my install an use something else as is usual with this kind of issues?

Re: HDSP 9632 unable to change sample rate

Not necessary to read this below, just to explain why I'm after this setup:

I have a new build, based on the AM4 Biostar B550GTA, which has a PCI slot and supports the latest Ryzen 5000 processors. It can use my good'old 9632.

I ideally want to avoid dual boot this time and try do my audio work on a Windows QEMU-KVM virtual machine with PCI passthrough on the sound card.

My initial intention with this setup was to avoid going down the Linux audio rabbit hole at all costs (previous painful experiences of things breaking and spending scarce free time intended to make music in Linux tweaking) while disconnecting Windows (and its telemetry) from the network, which is increasingly worrying.

Unfortunately the IOMMU grouping on the motherboard is excellent except for the PCI card, which shares IOMMU group with a USB hub and the SATA controller. So to see how viable is to do audio on a VM (glitches, maintenance burden, etc) I'm temporarily trying to replicate how I'd work by passing audio from the VM through Scream, and if I can complete one or two projects with no issues, then to buy a USB sound card that I can pass through.

Re: HDSP 9632 unable to change sample rate

Went back to Windows. My time budget for audio tweaking was over.