Topic: Auto reference level click

Hope everyone is keeping well.

I had the DAC connected to my MacBook via USB today and noticed the speakers click/pop when the auto ref level changed to +7db from +1db.

I have always heard the Dac click when switching from one reference level to another. Was quite surprised to hear my speakers make a similar noise.

Is this a firmware issue ?

Any inputs on this subject would be appreciated

2 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-08 18:51:26)

Re: Auto reference level click

bahriudit wrote:

I had the DAC connected to my MacBook via USB today and noticed the speakers click/pop when the auto ref level changed to +7db from +1db.

I have always heard the Dac click when switching from one reference level to another. Was quite surprised to hear my speakers make a similar noise.

Is this a firmware issue ?

A little click is normal.
Auto Reference Level is switching with hardware mechanical relays in the analog domain.
This is the cleanest way to do this, sound quality wise.

But - with no music running there shouldn’t be a click.
If you experience this, something is not quite OK, probably an OPA that developed a DC offset.

Manual page 37:

Notes on Auto Ref Level:
This technique includes switching of hardware elements (like when doing it manually) and is therefore not free of click noise...

Re: Auto reference level click

Note that the DC could also be part of the source signal (especially with old DAT tapes and DSD recordings). But that would typically be visible in the analyzer screen.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME