1 (edited by Shaz 2021-08-11 22:09:56)

Topic: Sample Rate in Windows 10

Hi all,

Sorry if this was asked before, I have searched and I am just very confused as to what we (Windows 10) users need to do to be able to set a default sampling format in Windows 10.

I use a multitude of applications so WASAPI is not a solution for me. I use Spotify, Tidal, Foobar2000 (local content), I also watch movies, and run video games. Prior to running the RME ADI-2 FS, It was always plugged to my Mac and I used the MIDISetup tool or whatever it was called and I was able to easily pick 96k/24-bit and set it and forget it as the majority of my local content was 96k.

I recently moved the box to Windows 10 and now I am finding that I only have 4 options in the Sound Properties. I do not have that issue with a cheap SMSL DAC that I used prior. So what am I doing wrong here? I have downloaded the latest drivers and I have flashed the box to FW v41. I read something about uninstalling the drivers and I'm not really quite sure what I'm supposed to do here. Greatly appreciate some help with this. Simply looking to set my Windows 10 Default Format sampling rate to 96k/24-bit. I don't care if it ends up upsampling lower quality audio. Right now it is downsampling everything to 44.1.

Thanks in advance.

https://i.imgur.com/dJ2j2yR.png

EDIT: Just adding some more screenshots. Here's Foobar2000 set to Exclusive mode. Outright fails when trying to play anything 96k:

https://i.imgur.com/2rEwD1H.png

And here are all the available output options that I can see:

https://i.imgur.com/5BL8fwD.png

2 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-11 22:27:43)

Re: Sample Rate in Windows 10

For the mentioned programs it’s probably best to uninstall and delete the drivers.

Did you carefully read manual page 40:

De-installing the Driver

Windows Plug & Play methods do not cover the registration of the ASIO driver. This entry can be removed from the registry by a software de-installation request. This request can be found (like all de-installation entries) in Control Panel, Programs and Features. Click on the entry 'RME MADIface', then Uninstall.

To use Windows own Class Compliant drivers the RME driver has to be removed completely (for example after a firmware update). In Device Manager select the ADI-2 Pro under Sound, Video and Game Controllers, right click and choose Uninstall. In the next dialog make sure to check 'Delete the driver software for this device'. Otherwise the driver will stay within the Windows installation and gets reinstalled automatically after the next reboot.

Oddly enough, a new icon appeared on my taskbar all of a sudden. "MADIface Series Settings" and opening it allows me to pick a sample rate. But now that opens a new set of problems. Everything is now upsampled to 96k. Why can't the RME ADI-2 DAC just switch based on what's being played?

I am a bit lost. Why is it all or nothing? Every DAC I've had always  switched sampling rate based on what was being pushed to it. What do I need to do to achieve that in the RME because I know it's more than capable of doing, it just doesn't seem to be anywhere close to straightforward on Windows.

4 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-12 06:49:18)

Shaz wrote:

Oddly enough, a new icon appeared on my taskbar all of a sudden. "MADIface Series Settings" and opening it allows me to pick a sample rate. But now that opens a new set of problems. Everything is now upsampled to 96k. Why can't the RME ADI-2 DAC just switch based on what's being played?

You still have the driver installed, read 2nd part from above posting.

Once you run without driver in so called “CC” / “Class Compliant Mode” it should work like intended.

Despite that, Tidal is reported not to switch samplerates.