1 (edited by DarekP 2021-02-06 21:50:20)

Topic: Channel Balance - suggested interface improvement

I have bought ADI-2 DAC FS just this week and I am extremely impressed with its sound quality (being at par with DAC in my hi-end Ayon CD), capabilities (insane!) and well-though user interface.
While I find the unit to be near-perfect, I believe that some important functionalities of the user interface could still be refined via some low-effort changes in the next versions of the firmware.  My major „complaint" so far is the interface of CHANNEL BALANCE function:

PROBLEM:
While the changes in volume and T/B adjustments are easily read from the distance on the display  (momentarily showing changed values as clear LARGE FONT), Channel Balance changes are shown only as a screen with small L/R bar + very small font beneath this = unreadable if not at the unit.  There is also no way to make balance „center” from the remote - while changing the balance there is indeed a short stop at center, but w/o clear reading of the changed values it is close to impossible to catch this short moment.  Thus in reality to fine-adjust the balance or to return it to center position the user must be at the unit.  And using Setups+Custom Key to center the balance from the remote is possible, but not practical as this also imposes several other settings stored (e.g. volume, etc)

PROPOSED SOLUTION:
This problem seems to be easily solved by the following: 
a)  an option to see changed L/R balance values on the display exactly as Volume or T/B adjustments - with short display in the same large font (so it would e.g. read „L08" or „R55" or if at center - just „C" - this would be exactly same reading as currently beneath the L/R bar, but just visible from the distance.  Not to confuse long-term users (that may be  accustomed to the current interface) this option could be toggled in setup - you may add a line  "Left/Right Balance:  Standard (default) / Large Font". 
b) you should also activate an option „Center L/R Balance” as one of the custom-actions that could be programmed to one of the custom keys on the remote / front.  Actually you already have such function ready (double clicking rotary knob 2 while in Channel Balance subscreen does exactly this), just please add this to the list of selectable actions for key remapping.

I hope this is useful!

Re: Channel Balance - suggested interface improvement

I agree that the stop-time for <C> when using the remote is too short. That should be possible to change easily. A PAN screen like the B/T one when changing this via remote sounds like a good idea. We'll see if that is possible,

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sounds cool, thanks :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Dear Matthias,
Great news - many thanks!

Darek,

I like your idea!  I've not had any issues with balance the old way, but often wondered what might happen were I to get the NEW remote.   My ADI-2 DAC screen is a bit hard to Zero In on from 12ft...

Cool Idea!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Great.
I am looking forward for these UI improvements.

Thanks.

Well Folks, we can only wish for these things...but RME has more than once in the past, sent us some Easter Eggs in the form of Firmware Updates!   With Easter not so far away...dare to dream!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

8 (edited by weme 2021-02-20 17:45:24)

As supporters of changing the balance ("BAL") via the remote control, we were surprised at the very convenient hardware solution:

Two buttons for an important but not frequently used function.

With only one button for "BAL" we would have these very simple, easy-to-remember functions:

Short press on "BAL":
Automatic time window *1) for changing the balance with the "+" / "-" keys of "VOL".

Long press on "BAL":
Reset balance

Advantages:
The second "BAL" key would be free for new functions.
We would not need a new (PAN) screen because the balance at the seat is typically set by ear.

However, a redesign of the "Volume/Balance" screen would be helpful for everyone:
Display of Volume + Balance with large numbers.

*1)
Unless someone has a patent on this solution.

Dear RME

I am fully aware that recently you had many more important things to take care of (like implementing ESS chip), but I still hoped that you somehow might manage to take care of this request among other changes implemented via recent firmware updates, which have not happened.  This is quite important to me as [effective] impossibility to reset channel balance with the remote is really the only - but quite frustrating! - bug in your interface.

If for whatever reason the solution as proposed is not easy to implement, could you please at least add "reset L/R balance" as one of the custom actions you could assign to four custom keys on the remote?  This would do the trick and should not be anyhow problematic in the software (as you already have such action ready when using keys on the unit - see point b) in my initial post?). 

Please advise.

Best regards

I would very much appreciate an answer from RME.
Best regards

Dear RME
Thank you VERY MUCH for implementing this suggested change in your recent firmware update!  It works perfect and after this being added using the DAC is much easier and a pure joy - great job! And many thanks for listening to users' suggestions.
Best regards

When I decided to upgrade my hifi system some year ago I had two "must´s" 1. a good HP amplifier 2. a balance control, neither of my Hegel amp had. Voila! ADI-2 DAC big_smile Now its even better!

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_