1 (edited by walto 2021-08-05 13:45:55)

Topic: Looking for advice

Hello,

I'm unsure which device would best suit my needs and I'm hoping to get some advice please.

Previously I used a ADI-2 DAC with several different headphones, but my favorites were DT 1990 Pro, I loved this combo for listening to music.

Then covid happened and I needed to sell my audio gear get get through a rough few months. Now my needs changed and I'm finding myself spending a lot of time on calls and working remotely, I have to speak and teach over various platforms so I bought a dynamic mic (less background noise) and a cheap interface to be going on with. I also bought some more DT 1990s and was going to buy a another ADI-2 DAC until I wondered if there is anything which would suit me better?

My primary concern is audio quality for listening to music through my headphones, but being able to switch over to zoom or whatever without changing headphones.

Secondary I would like to have a mic input with enough gain for a dynamic mic.

Other nice to haves would be:

• one desktop sized device (or two)

• live processing (low pass, noise gate, de-esser)

• the ability to record calls and lessons for review later

• under €2500 ideally

I looked at the ADI-2 Pro but this doesn't have mic preamps as far as I understand. I also looked at the Fireface UCX ii but it's out of stock everywhere and my main focus is listening to music so I'm unsure if this is the correct device.

I would appreciate any suggestions or input you have, thank you.

Re: Looking for advice

My vote goes to the Babyface Pro FS.

Only noise-gate and de-esser is not included, this must be done with software simultanously, for example Reaper.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by hardyroede 2021-08-05 15:37:41)

waedi wrote:

My vote goes to the Babyface Pro FS.

+1 to that, sounds like it checks all your boxes for your computer-based needs.

Apart from one use case: as you mention „listening to music“ - if you need standalone capabilities, like DA conversion for a non-PC/Mac/iPad digital music source, this would skew things heavily in favor of the UCX II and might then be worth the wait. It has SPDIF and AES/EBU inputs beyond just ADAT, you can use virtually all its I/O and routing  capabilities without a computer, and even then use an ARC USB remote for your convenience.

MADIface(s) Pro, UFX+, MADI Router
Mac mini Intel, iPad Air 2020
ProTools, Hindenburg

Happy Babyface pro FS user here. Headphones output is plenty good and loud enough for some serious music listening.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

5 (edited by hardyroede 2021-08-05 21:46:28)

waedi wrote:

Only noise-gate and de-esser is not included, this must be done with software simultanously, for example Reaper.

One could use hardware outboard effects, which process analog audio in real time, routed in an effect loop within TotalMix. But, the devices tend to be 19“ or at least System 500 lunchbox-size, which is a bit hefty for a desktop.

Also not desktop-y, but maybe nevertheless a good long-time solution would be a channel strip with built-in de-esser and noise gate, like the well-regarded and affordable dbx286s. It‘s 19“, but you could hook your mic up to its preamp, set (-and-forget) the dynamics perfectly tuned to your voice and recording room, and feed the line output into an ADI-2 Pro. Versus the Babyface or UCX route you gain live voice processing in hardware, and the superb DA conversion and headphone amp of the ADI. The dbx + ADI would still land inside your budget.

If you decide for a Babyface or UCX and software processing and are on a Mac, try the Rogue Amoeba Audio Hijack software instead of a full-blown DAW. It’s the easiest solution for routing and recording to and from different apps inside your Mac. I love it, I haven’t tried it yet with effects plugins, but it should accept AU plugins, thus be open to Waves, Fabfilter et al. de-essers, noise gates and such.

Would be interesting to hear about your decision once it’s made. Best wishes!

ProTools, Hindenburg

6 (edited by walto 2021-08-06 08:52:50)

Wow, thank you for all the responses already! Lots of love for the Babyface Pro FS, this is something I keep looking at, but I'm wondering if I will only end up missing the features and quality I got from the ADI-2 DAC for listening to music, I really enjoyed the EQ presets allowing me to fine tune each output.

hardyroede wrote:

Also not desktop-y, but maybe nevertheless a good long-time solution would be a channel strip with built-in de-esser and noise gate, like the well-regarded and affordable dbx286s. It‘s 19“, but you could hook your mic up to its preamp, set (-and-forget) the dynamics perfectly tuned to your voice and recording room, and feed the line output into an ADI-2 Pro. Versus the Babyface or UCX route you gain live voice processing in hardware, and the superb DA conversion and headphone amp of the ADI. The dbx + ADI would still land inside your budget.

This looks like it would meet all requirements, giving me the listening experience I'm looking for along with some live control over voice. Thank you. It's a shame the dbx286s is rack mount but I'm sure I can find a spot for it.

I'll have a look through the manual for the ADI-2 Pro.

My main purpose is listening to music and I really enjoyed the ADI-2 DAC, especially that I didn't need a seperate headphone amp and how I could even use sensitive IEMs on it.

7 (edited by ramses 2021-08-06 11:45:44)

Hi Walto,

and what about a combination of recording interface and ADI-2 DAC or Pro ? See my blog:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

If you are also recording and need the flexibility of TM FX then start with the BBF Pro FS and
add an ADI-2 Pro / DAC at any time later...

If you only need the ADI-2 DAC then you can even connect a 8-port mic preamp or ad/da converter to the ADAT IN port of the BBF Pro FS and the ADI-2 DAC you can connect to its ADAT out. A nice flexible solution that you can build-up step by step.

You can also start with an ADI-2 DAC or Pro and add a BBF Pro later .... whatever is better for your demand.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

8 (edited by walto 2021-08-06 15:49:40)

Hi Ramses, really useful blog!

So I could hook the ADI-2 DAC to the Babyface Pro? Would there be any benefits or negatives as apposed to the ADI-2 Pro + mic preamp?

https://i.ibb.co/dgFmPMy/img.png

Would they connect like this?

The babyface would take up less room than the DBX 286s but I would also lose the de-esser and noisegate right?

9 (edited by ramses 2021-08-06 17:17:13)

TotalMix gives you a lot of flexibility, watch the videos and RME documentation

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

And as TM FX also works like a patchfield, you can make crazy submixes per output (!) like described here:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2787-TM-FX-Audio-Stream-Separation-via-SW-Playback-Channels-jpg/

By this you can play a game and create a submix for phones or active monitors consisting of
- Sound from letsplay youtube video explaining the game and you listen while playing
- Listening to your Music as background music and
- Listening to the game's sound

Something like this is only possible with TM FX, which is mature after over 20y and also includes features like loopback recording etc.

The ADI-2 DAC/Pro gives you best features for your monitoring section through phones and speaker.
And also a certain protection for your ears
- as it acts like a monitor controller as well, you can set a fix volume no matter whether you use in TM FX 0dB or not
- slow ramp-up of volme when plugging in phones or switching between phones and monitors ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

10 (edited by walto 2021-08-06 17:42:20)

Doesn't the ADI-2 Pro have TotalMix?

I must have misread something.

It looks like a Babyface or UCX II could be the way to go along with an ADI-2 DAC if I want that level of flexibility.

ADI-2 Pro / Dac product line is "converter" not "recording interface".

ramses wrote:

ADI-2 Pro / Dac product line is "converter" not "recording interface".

I think I got mixed up reading so many different articles and posts!

I read your blog posts and and the UCX II manual and decided to go with the UCX II for now, it gives me a lot of options I hadn't previously considered. I will spend some time to learn how best to utilize the UCX and see if I still need a channel strip, then add the ADI-2 DAC later down the line.

Thank you for all the responses, it's been very helpful.

Thats an excellent idea, the UCX II is awesome in terms of quality and features and even has DURec.
See here my summary about that device: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 27#p171327

You can also use my Excel for further comparisons:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … -04b-xlsx/
From that blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/

14 (edited by walto 2021-08-19 13:43:24)

After a week of struggling with Totalmix FX I feel like I should have got the ADI-2 Pro FS R. I read the manual and watched the videos but I still struggle to understand it all. I probably didn't need a mixer at all.

I miss a lot of the ADI features, the remote, loudness, EQ profiles, crossfade. It made listening to music much more enjoyable and was very simple to use.

I coudln't get the dynamics set up how I wanted them for the mic so I ended up buying a preamp with channel strip which does what I want.

Hello!

I think you 'll, eventually, come to understand the brilliance of TMFX!
It can, actually, untie your hands, in terms of workflow!

First select a Hardware Output(third row), by clicking on it and then, just route whatever you want from the Hardware Inputs and Software Outputs!
That's it!!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Ah routing wasn't a problem really, it was the lack of understanding on my part. It probably makes sense to people used to working with studio equipment who use and need all this functionality.

My primary use is listening to music through headphones, secondary is using it as a usb interface to connect a mic to for video recording and live lessons.

I decided I'll go with the ADI-2 Pro FS R as hardyroede suggested, I got a Drawmer MX60 from ebay which handles the dynamics and the preamp, the ADI-2 Pro will give me all the things I missed from the ADI-2 DAC and a bit more!

Nothing wrong with the UCX II at all, it's an incredible device, just not what I needed.

Aah, I see!

The ADI 2 Pro FS R is an exceptional piece of equipment, as well !
Enjoy!!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

18 (edited by hardyroede 2021-08-21 20:41:48)

walto wrote:

I got a Drawmer MX60 from ebay which handles the dynamics and the preamp, the ADI-2 Pro will give me all the things I missed from the ADI-2 DAC and a bit more!

This sounds like a nice combo, didn’t know the Drawmer, it has really nice features. Happy to help, enjoy your new gear!

ProTools, Hindenburg