1 (edited by Trevor 2021-08-27 00:23:39)

Topic: ADI-2 (old) level leds not doing anything with digital input ?

I just wanted to ask if this is normal or not, I just got an adi 2 dac (the original not the one with the rounded buttons or the fs) and it's working perfectly fine however, the level leds aren't doing anything unless I use an analogue input. Is this supposed to happen?

2 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-27 00:46:58)

Re: ADI-2 (old) level leds not doing anything with digital input ?

You mean the ADI-2 FS.
ADI-2 DAC is a different devices that doesn’t have an analog input,

The level indicator LEDs show the AD-converter’s level, not the DAC’s or analog output level, see block diagram on manual page 17.

KaiS wrote:

You mean the ADI-2 FS.

The level indicator LEDs show the AD-converter’s level, not the DAC’s or analog output level, see block diagram on manual page 17.

No I mean the adi 2 dac not the adi 2 fs. It does have analogue inputs and I am fairly certain all 3 adi 2 models have analogue inputs....

This is the dac I am talking about https://archiv.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_2.php

I am still getting working level leds when using as purely a pre amp (analogue in and out) so I assume it only works if the inputs are analogue since that would also make sense for a a/d conversion.

KaiS wrote:

You mean the ADI-2 FS.

Also the unit I purchased sadly didn't include the manual but now that you mentioned it I probably should have looked it up online and read through that first before asking here.

Are you aware that the meaning of DAC is Digital to Analog Conversion? Yours obviously is not a DAC, but an ADC/DAC. Not to mention that its name (without DAC) is very clear on the front plate.

The level meters will only show levels when set to Digital Input mode (see manual). If your unit is too old it will not support that mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-27 09:58:12)

Trevor wrote:
KaiS wrote:

You mean the ADI-2 FS.
ADI-2 DAC is a different devices that doesn’t have an analog input.

No I mean the adi 2 dac not the adi 2 fs. It does have analogue inputs and I am fairly certain all 3 adi 2 models have analogue inputs....

This is the dac I am talking about https://archiv.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_2.php

For others reading along here:

As this mistake in names comes up quite often - there are 3 different ADI-2 named devices, with model variations over the time, partly with or without FS extension:

• ADI-2 (FS): AD-DA converter, analog in AND out, no LCD disply.
• ADI-2 Pro (AE) (FS) (R) (BE): AD-DA converter, analog in AND out, WITH LCD display.
• ADI-2 DAC FS: DA converter, analog out ONLY, WITH LCD display.

Finally a quick glance at the front plate of you device reveals it’s correct name.

MC wrote:

Are you aware that the meaning of DAC is Digital to Analog Conversion? Yours obviously is not a DAC, but an ADC/DAC. Not to mention that its name (without DAC) is very clear on the front plate.

The level meters will only show levels when set to Digital Input mode (see manual). If your unit is too old it will not support that mode.

Ok so please explain how a ad/da converter is not also a dac....

8 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-27 21:12:54)

Trevor wrote:
MC wrote:

Simple:
You mix name, ADI-2, with function, dac.
Watch out for the capitals too.
Usually even the function, DAC, is written like this.

Read above about existing ADI-2 names.

KaiS wrote:
Trevor wrote:
MC wrote:

Simple:
You mix name, ADI-2, with function, dac.
Watch out for the capitals too.
Usually even the function, DAC, is written like this.

Read above about existing ADI-2 names.

The adi-2 is a DAC it just can also do analogue to digital conversion. Saying it has the ability to do DAC is technically a miss usage of the term DAC since DAC means digital-analogue converter and not digital-analogue conversion. Does any of that matter in this instance in any way shape or form ? No not at all. Not sure why you took the time to point this out when I wasn't even saying anything wrong just leaving out something that is completely irrelavent to the post but thanks for that I guess................................

10 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-28 06:57:30)

Sorry, think we did talk past each other.

I just wanted to clear the device identification issue that comes up here quite often, for others reading along.
Not more to say, good luck!