1 (edited by dubcaravan 2021-08-28 17:39:39)

Topic: ADI 2 PRO FS: PH 3/4 and PH 1/2 & Main Out Question.

I have my ADI 2 PRO FS hooked up to a UFX Fireface via AES. Everything works fine and syncs as it should. Sometimes I use the ADI 2 Pro FS as a mastering converter (both in and out).  I use Cockos Reaper not only to mix music but also in mastering. 

I use the ReaInsert plugin on the master bus when I want to use outboard gear.  The ReaInsert plugin has the ins and outs set to AES as that is how the ADI 2 is hooked up to my entire system via a UFX.  The hardware is passing signal into the daws mastering chain and works as it should.  However, I can only hear the hardware in the chain if I use the UFX headphone outputs. When I use the PH 3/4 Headphones output on the ADI FS PRO I hear the track being played back but with out the inserted hardware. In order to hear back the track via the ADI PRO I have to set the main outputs also to AES which is part of the issue. Is there any way to route PH 3/4 in Total Mix? I've been thinking about this a lot and wondering is it even possible to monitor like this? If it is possible, what would be the best way around it? Total Mix or other?

Any info would be appreciated if this is possible to do.

2 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-28 23:27:17)

Re: ADI 2 PRO FS: PH 3/4 and PH 1/2 & Main Out Question.

dubcaravan wrote:

...The ReaInsert plugin has the ins and outs set to AES as that is how the ADI 2 is hooked up to my entire system via a UFX.
In order to hear back the track via the ADI PRO I have to set the main outputs also to AES which is part of the issue...

If I get your config right you need a 2nd route into the ADI-2 Pro.
The AES cannot carry the RealInsert send signal AND the 2nd signal from the DAW master at the same time.

I’m not 100% sure if UFX’s ADAT out can do the job, either in ADAT Out format or maybe switched to SPDIF Toslink.
ADI-2 Pro can read ADAT channels, so maybe use these for all routing.

ADAT has a sample rate limit of 48 kHz.

3 (edited by ramses 2021-08-29 07:58:17)

KaiS wrote:
dubcaravan wrote:

...The ReaInsert plugin has the ins and outs set to AES as that is how the ADI 2 is hooked up to my entire system via a UFX.
In order to hear back the track via the ADI PRO I have to set the main outputs also to AES which is part of the issue...

If I get your config right you need a 2nd route into the ADI-2 Pro.
The AES cannot carry the RealInsert send signal AND the 2nd signal from the DAW master at the same time.

I’m not 100% sure if UFX’s ADAT out can do the job, either in ADAT Out format or maybe switched to SPDIF Toslink.
ADI-2 Pro can read ADAT channels, so maybe use these for all routing.

ADAT has a sample rate limit of 48 kHz.

UFX's ADAT2 can be set to SPDIF, this supports up to 192 kHz.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the suggestions

All ADAT connections are used up at the moment but I'll try via the SPDIF connection.

Cheers.