Topic: Newbie - Connecting My New DAC Into My System

Hello, newbie here, and grateful of your help and the resource of this wonderful forum.

My current system comprises:
Linn LP12
Cyrus CDi-XR
Cyrus i9-XR
Yamaha WXC 50 (set in player mode)
Wharfedale Linton Heritage loudspeakers

The space that I have my hi-fi system is not as large as I'd ideally like, and as a result of this, the rear ported Wharfedale speakers do deliver a bass sound that overhangs a bit on certain tracks.

One thing that I was interested in was the Dirac feature on the NAD M10 V2, but that would be an integrated amp connecting into my Cyrus integrated amp.

I was reading reviews of the ADI-2 DAC and was interested in the EQ tweaks that you can action. And this coupled with the strong reviews have led me to buy this item from Thomann.

I was wondering if you could help me identify how and where I connect the DAC into my system please?

Right now I have the LP12 into the Phono input on the amp, and the CD player and Yamaha streamer are connected via optical cable into the back of the amplifier. These are inputs DIG 1 and DIG 2.

The Cyrus spec can be found here; https://www.cyrusaudio.com/products/i9-xr/

Sadly I can't add a photo of the rear panel of the Cyrus amplifier as it gets block by the hosting sites, but if you were so kind as to click on the Cyrus link, then hopefully you will see an image of the rear of the amplifier.

I would like to get the best out of the ADI-2 DAC and use the EQ settings, but I'm uncertain how to connect it into my amp and which connection I would use on the back of the ADI-2 DAC.

Really appreciate your help...

2 (edited by ramses 2021-08-30 12:23:08)

Re: Newbie - Connecting My New DAC Into My System

I don't know any of these products .. what is your amp please ? Linn, cyrus, Yamaha ? Which one, which model. Thanks.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi ramses,

The amplifier is the Cyrus i9-XR; https://www.cyrusaudio.com/products/i9-xr/

4 (edited by ramses 2021-08-30 19:34:03)

As the ADI-2 DAC
- has no digital outputs and
- as you certainly want to use the D/A conversion of the RME DAC
you can connect it only this way: into the analog inputs of the Cyrus integrated amp.

How to post a pic of the back of the Cyrus ?
Take the URL of any image that you like / looks good and put the image tags around:

Example:

[img]https://www.cyrusaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Cyrus_i9XR_003-2000x1125.jpg[/img]

Results in:

https://www.cyrusaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Cyrus_i9XR_003-2000x1125.jpg

As you intend to use the PEQ and maybe even Dynamic Loudness and B/T controls I would enable Auto Ref level, because then the ADI-2 DAC automatically calculates, whether the SNR will be better when switching to the next higher or lower ref level.

When using the Cinch outputs of the ADI-2 DAC you can see that these reference levels are supported
(see also manual page 52):
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_e.pdf

With Cinch the Output level is 6 dB lower than XLR (-5 dBu to +13 dBu @ 0 dBFS)

You see that the different reference levels have different max SNR, but they are all higher compared to your amp, so don't worry in any way.

Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +13 dBu: 120 dB RMS unweighted, 123 dBA
Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +1/+7 dBu: 116/119 dB RMS unweighted, 119/122 dBA
Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ -5 dBu: 112 dB RMS unweighted, 114 dBA

The goal is here to use an output level on your DAC that you have the highest possible SNR without overloading the inputs of your integrated amp.

So turn down the volume of your integrated amp to a save value and dial-in an output level on your DAC as recommended below in the manual.

Which output level setting is recommended?

See chapter 31.12 of the manual: "Operation in the Hi-Fi Environment"

"There are a total of four hardware reference levels available, with the XLR output having a 6 dB higher level. With Hi-Fi the setting +7 dBu (equals +4.78 dBV or 1.73 V RMS) is recommended. This setting causes an ADI-2 DAC to output level similar to that of many CD-players. In case it is still too low simply change to +13 dBu (+10.8 dBV, 3.46 V RMS)."

Comment: when Auto Reflevel is enabled simply watch the display and use the highest output level that still shows +7dBu. If it jumps to the next Reflevel, then turn the vol 0.5 dB down, then you see again +7 dBu. By this you have max dynamic and SNR.

If you add volume by using B/T, dynamic Loudness or PEQ, then you need to readjust. More Bass or Treble results into a higher output level and vice versa.

If you found an ideal output volume on the ADI-2 DAC, then keep it and use the remote of your integrated amp to dial in the needed volume.

There are also other possibilities how to handle the volume.
I personally have found my fix settings for B/T and PEQ.
I remember the max output level on the ADI-2 Pro / DAC that I want to achieve.
On the integrated amp I dial in the max volume.
And then I configure dynamic loudness and control volume on the ADI-2 DAC with its remote.

Both methods are valid, the question is which of your devices has a remote or which one you want to use or whether you want to use dynamic loudness.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-08-31 06:49:49)

Flaneur wrote:

Yamaha WXC 50 (set in player mode)

I have the WXA-50, similar as the WXC but with a class D amp.

The RME DAC performs much better than the WXC, however, you can still enjoy the net radio or streaming function of it, I forgot if it has a subwoofer out or not at the WXC (edit: it has), if so, you can take the advantage from it. The WXC is a good pre-amp with lots of convenient functions.

https://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/PIM/Images/WXC50reAGBKLVSs_1437x933_5214fe5ce9d207bf753bbe6dcb5a4154.jpg

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Thank you so much for your help ramses, and thank you too Johannes,

7 (edited by ramses 2021-08-31 12:00:09)

Flaneur wrote:

You're welcome wink

And don't go crazy with SNR ... if you don't hear noise you don't have problems with SNR wink

You can first take it easy and familiarize yourself with the different possibilities, then automatically an idea will mature, how it works best for your needs...

Also Rome has not been build in a few days ...

Make yourself acquainted with the device, it fantastic and offers high quality and excellent features.
Pls also check out the handbook which is a gem, full of useful information from the people who designed the ADI-2 Pro.

Never forget, you can't do something wrong and should it be too loud or distort, simply turn down the output level/volume on your ADI-2 Dac/Pro and the integrated amp, if required. Thats it. Otherwise simply enjoy your ADI-2. Whether SNR is a little bit higher or lower .. it won't sound bad. SNR is already on such a high level, that this is nothing which you have to be worried about.

Thanks again

9 (edited by ramses 2021-08-30 19:43:54)

Flaneur wrote:

Thanks again

You're welcome.
BTW .. I added some info to the posting.

Thanks ramses, noted.

Flaneur wrote:

You are welcome :-)

Two months ago I am a novice, even today still have a lot more to learn, whenever you are in doubt about the RME DAC, just ask, most of the people here are happy to help.

I'm still a little confused still and wondering if you could enlighten me?

My Cyrus i9-XR integrated amp has a DAC inside it and my Cyrus CDi-XR also has a DAC inside it.

Does the ADI-2 DAC, which will be plugged into an analogue input, take precedence over those other two DAC's, or am I effectively using the ADI-2 as a EQ function and hearing the internal DAC's of the integrated amplifier and CD player?

Amplifier here; https://www.cyrusaudio.com/products/i9-xr/

CD player here; https://www.cyrusaudio.com/products/cdi-xr/

13 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-31 10:28:20)

Flaneur wrote:

My Cyrus i9-XR integrated amp has a DAC inside it and my Cyrus CDi-XR also has a DAC inside it.

Does the ADI-2 DAC, which will be plugged into an analogue input, take precedence over those other two DAC's, or am I effectively using the ADI-2 as a EQ function and hearing the internal DAC's of the integrated amplifier and CD player?

Connecting the ADI-2 DAC the analog route you take advantage of it‘s superior DAC, bypassing the Cyrus i9-XR’s DAC.

You need to connect the two other DIGITAL sources to ADI-2 DAC’s digital inputs then.

REMARK: there is no way to connect the analog turntable to ADI-2 DAC.

Flaneur wrote:

I'm still a little confused still and wondering if you could enlighten me?

If you prefer to use the RME as the main DAC, then connect the RME DAC RCA output to the analogue input of the Amp. for the CD player, you can use the toslink or coaxial out to RME DAC and compare the results see which DAC fits your liking.

The ADI-2 DAC EQ function is to make taste to the sound it decoded from the source input (USB/ Coaxlal/ toslink).

Thanks,

So I connect the Yamaha streamer into the rear of the ADI-2 DAC via my existing optical cable, but will need to buy a coaxial cable to connect the CD player into the rear of the ADI-2 DAC.

The analogue turntable is run through my existing amp, but does not allow me to use the EQ function on the ADI-2 DAC - this is only for when I am streaming or listening to CD's?

Flaneur, same applies to your Yamaha WXC-50, it has a DAC inside, but you can use the analogue input to by-pass it.

17 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-31 10:37:58)

Flaneur wrote:

Thanks,

So I connect the Yamaha streamer into the rear of the ADI-2 DAC via my existing optical cable, but will need to buy a coaxial cable to connect the CD player into the rear of the ADI-2 DAC.

The analogue turntable is run through my existing amp, but does not allow me to use the EQ function on the ADI-2 DAC - this is only for when I am streaming or listening to CD's?

Yes to all, except: any Cinch-Cinch cable works for digital coax too.
You can use one that was supplied with the CD-player for analog connection, e.g.

18 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-08-31 11:31:48)

Flaneur wrote:

Thanks,

No, the coaxial of the RME DAC will override its Toslink ( edit: you can select either coaxial or toslink by the remote or at the menu).

Let me guess your application, if you want the Yamaha streams net radio or music, connect its analogue output to one of the analogue input of your Amp.
If you want to take advantage of the RME DAC EQ, then output the Yamaha streamer via toslink to RME DAC and EQ it at the RME. I do not know two times D/A conversion is good or not.

Yes, the RME DAC handles digital inputs only, cannot EQ your analogue turntable.

19 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-08-31 10:54:23)

Since I have the Yamaha WXA-50 (no digital out), I stream net radio from it. Sometimes I will use iPhone or Mac to stream net radio or Music to RME DAC and output decoded analogue signal to Yamaha analogue input with the benefits of the RME EQ, B/T, Loudness.

I wanted to buy this product because of it's superior DAC and also the EQ function.

It seems that if I play vinyl via my turntable, my integrated amp (containing it's own DAC) will not be able to me to use the EQ function on the ADI-2 DAC, and I'll have the same sound quality as I have now.

I connect the ADI-2 DAC into my amp via one of the four analogue inputs and then connect the Yamaha Streamer (for which I have turned off the pre-amp mode) into the optical input. For the CD player I use one of my RCA cables (what you call cinch cables), and connect the CD player via the coax input on the ADI-2 DAC and the coax output on my CD player.

Only the CD player and streamer can be EQ'd, and the turntable cannot.

I'm wondering if I've bought the right product then...

Flaneur wrote:

I wanted to buy this product because of it's superior DAC and also the EQ function.

It seems that if I play vinyl via my turntable, my integrated amp (containing it's own DAC) will not be able to me to use the EQ function on the ADI-2 DAC, and I'll have the same sound quality as I have now.

I connect the ADI-2 DAC into my amp via one of the four analogue inputs and then connect the Yamaha Streamer (for which I have turned off the pre-amp mode) into the optical input. For the CD player I use one of my RCA cables (what you call cinch cables), and connect the CD player via the coax input on the ADI-2 DAC and the coax output on my CD player.

Hm.... turntable is analogue .... may be ADI-2 Pro is the right product for you .....?

22 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-31 11:12:10)

Flaneur wrote:

Looking at where you started there’s no alternative for best DA-conversion + DSP functions.

Your integrated amp limits the options, no way to access either the vinyl preamp’s output signal nor the power amp’s inputs.

@Johannes AU:
The Linn i9-XR does not digitally process analog inputs, the analog path’s stay analog, so no double (or triple) conversion.

KaiS wrote:
Flaneur wrote:

Looking at where you started there’s no alternative for best DA-conversion + DSP functions.

Your integrated amp limits the options, no way to access either the vinyl preamp’s output signal nor the power amp’s inputs.

@Johannes AU:
The Linn i9-XR does not digitally process analog inputs, the analog path’s stay analog, so no double (or triple) conversion.

I understand that, analogue is analogue, RME DAC cannot do anything to it.
Even if the Yamaha WXC-50 can convert analogue to digital, which I am not sure, he still need a phono pre-amp ....

Not quite sure I understood this correctly, but the streamer could be connected at the same time as the CD player. The input is not 'overridden'. You can change between Opt and Coax input in the menu and directly on the remote.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

25 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-08-31 11:48:50)

MC wrote:

Not quite sure I understood this correctly, but the streamer could be connected at the same time as the CD player. The input is not 'overridden'. You can change between Opt and Coax input in the menu and directly on the remote.

Oh .... then its my fault, I misunderstood it.
Sorry for the mess up.

That's good to hear MC, so my only problem I have now is that the turntable can't be controlled by the EQ function on the ADI-2?

I could possibly work with that and Thomann have a returns policy.

27 (edited by ramses 2021-08-31 12:11:21)

KaiS wrote:
Flaneur wrote:

Connecting the ADI-2 DAC the analog route you take advantage of it‘s superior DAC, bypassing the Cyrus i9-XR’s DAC.

You need to connect the two other DIGITAL sources to ADI-2 DAC’s digital inputs then.

REMARK: there is no way to connect the analog turntable to ADI-2 DAC.

You can use this device to have in total 4 ADAT/SPDIF inputs, switchable at the device or by using a remote:
https://www.oehlbach.com/de/neuheiten/e … l-4-1-mkii

I am using this Optosel in front of my ADI-2 Pro FS R BE in the HiFi corner:

UFX+ ------15m TOSLINK---+ P1 Optosel +--1m TOSLINK--- ADI-2 Pro R BE+--- Accuphase E-600 --- B&W 803D3
BluRay -----2m-TOSLINK----+ P2
TV ------------2m--TOSLINK--+ P3
unused ..............................+ P4

Ensure to get the Mk II version of the devices, because only that is capable to support higher than 96 kHz (192 kHz).
The 1st version of this had the wrong TOSLINKs built-in, claimed to support 192 kHz, but actually could only support 96 kHz.

https://www.oehlbach.com/media/articles/web_super/6041_Optosel-4-1-MKII_01_ab.png
https://www.oehlbach.com/media/articles/web_super/6041_Optosel-4-1-MKII_hb.png
https://www.oehlbach.com/media/articles/web_super/6041_Optosel-4-1-MKII_01_zb.png

Thanks ramses, though I'd only need a 2 input version as I don't connect my TV system to my hi-fi (different system).

Though MC says above that "the streamer could be connected at the same time as the CD player. The input is not 'overridden'. You can change between Opt and Coax input in the menu and directly on the remote".

So that solution would not be needed?

I only wanted to point out, that you can use smth like this to get up to 4 ports, switchable on device or remote and even up to 192 kHz (which most offered devices do not support).

Flaneur wrote:

Thanks ramses, though I'd only need a 2 input version as I don't connect my TV system to my hi-fi (different system).

Though MC says above that "the streamer could be connected at the same time as the CD player. The input is not 'overridden'. You can change between Opt and Coax input in the menu and directly on the remote".

So that solution would not be needed?

Correct.

All installed and working fine. Thanks so much for your help.

I'm going through the settings and the videos on YouTube are helpful. I'm taking the manual away with me on holiday :-)

https://i.imgur.com/Ot9ET4o.jpg

Glad to know all works fine, enjoy it ~
:-D

I am loving this DAC.

With me using it as a pre-amp, do I only need to download the firmware updates from time to time?

34 (edited by ramses 2021-09-18 09:14:42)

Flaneur wrote:

I am loving this DAC.

With me using it as a pre-amp, do I only need to download the firmware updates from time to time?

You update firmware and driver to get bug fixes, updates/features.
For firmware updates the RME ASIO driver needs to be installed.

Thank you ramses

Flaneur, looks like there is a firmware update for the WXC-50, check with your Musiccast app you will know.
:-)

Thanks Johannes, downloading as I type ;-)

Hello all, I'm loving my ADI-2 DAC, it's great.

Looking for some help on two matters please?:

1) I'm auditioning two streamers at the moment, moving away from my Yamaha WXC-50. One is the Auralic Aries G1 and I like this product. The HiFi Rose RS250 turned up yesterday, and whilst it has some 'funky' features, it does need running in to give it a fair comparison against the Auralic Aries G1.

https://us.auralic.com/products/aries-g1

https://eng.hifirose.com/RS250-info

The HiFi Rose RS250 is an MQA product, do I need to change any settings on my DAC to get the best out of it please?

2) Volume wise on the ADI-2, I keep the volume level to the upper end of the +7dBu - could I use the +13dBu volume range at all please?

Many thanks...

39 (edited by Curt962 2021-10-23 00:49:48)

Flaneur..

Streamers do not require "running in" any more than your Smart Phone did.   They perform optimally "as is" from the moment you turn them on. 

Volume:  Do you hear "noise"?  If not, then there IS NO noise, and there is nothing more to be gained from incessant tweaks.

Auto-Ref is your Friend. Use it, and be assured that your RME will ALWAYS select the best possible Ref Level for your Volume needs.

I would suggest that you dispense with the endless adjustments, and simply play some of your Favorite Music.   
As it turns out here in RME Land?  That's quite enjoyable!

Enjoy!!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

40 (edited by KaiS 2021-10-23 17:04:43)

Curt962 wrote:

Streamers do not require "running in" any more than your Smart Phone did.   They perform optimally "as is" from the moment you turn them on.

Curt, stupid!

smile It‘s the air the WLAN signal goes trough that needs to be broken in smile

Sorry, I couldn’t resist!

41 (edited by Curt962 2021-10-24 00:08:36)

KaiS,

I am developing a "WiFi Enhancing" Air Freshener. smile

Not only does it fill the Room with delightful Garten Scents, it also increases Dynamic Range,and Soundstage Width!

(I have un-locked the Secrets of the hidden 17th Bit!!!   The Soundstage Bit!

Were that not enough, the Listener is simply enveloped in a sense of "One-Ness" with the Musical Performance!

All that Quantum BS aside...

I might suggest to Flaneur that he reference Section 30.2
of the User Manual to aid in his better understanding of Ref Levels, Means of Connection, MINUS the Vol. Setting, and the resulting, expected S/N figures.

This information has been printed in RME Manuals for a long time, thus there should be no mystery, nor requirement now which requires an International Committee to "approve" of a Vol setting.

Just Saying!   

Curt

Electronics degrades from day one of use, it will not go better, no run-in required.

Mechanical things, like speaker(s) may be need few days to run-in in order to make the moving parts losen up. Some headphone manufacturer claim that it is not necessary if the moving parts are built with high quality and stable material.

WLAN is stable and intact if the signal is good. Thats why seldom people, even the manufacturer argue about it, only cable producers push you to purchase a so-call high end cable ..... a clean with good contact interconnect(s0 ia all you need, nothing more.

Believe in physics, learn and understand.

Curt962 wrote:

KaiS,

I am developing a "WiFi Enhancing" Air Freshener. smile

Not only does it fill the Room with delightful Garten Scents, it also increases Dynamic Range,and Soundstage Width!

(I have un-locked the Secrets of the hidden 17th Bit!!!   The Soundstage Bit!

Were that not enough, the Listener is simply enveloped in a sense of "One-Ness" with the Musical Performance!

All that Quantum BS aside...

I might suggest to Flaneur that he reference Section 30.2
of the User Manual to aid in his better understanding of Ref Levels, Means of Connection, MINUS the Vol. Setting, and the resulting, expected S/N figures.

This information has been printed in RME Manuals for a long time, thus there should be no mystery, nor requirement now which requires an International Committee to "approve" of a Vol setting.

Just Saying!   

Curt

Hello Curt,

Agree with what you said. But clean air is better.
I know the freshener thing is a joke :-)

Sometimes some international committee making bad joke, such as the Hi-Res sticker ....

Hi Johannes!

Preceding the World of "Hi-Res HD, HQ, UHQ" etc was the Grandfather of them all:Digital Ready! which adorned much HiFi gear in the Mid 1980s.   Oh...Memories. sad

Moving back on-topic...

The Run-In thing is a Dead Horse, so there's little benefit in beating it any more.   

Who knows?  Maybe my Gigabit Router HAS become a bit more Nuanced, and Open Sounding over time, but I of course would likely attribute that to the Leprachuan Skin Mains Cord Insulation, and the Pixie Dust infused Connectors, both of which (combined with a Warm Up period for my Ethernet Cable), yield almost instantaneously increased resolution. wink

Moving right along...

Enjoy Everybody!

Curt

45 (edited by ramses 2021-10-24 14:25:13)

Flaneur wrote:

Hello all, I'm loving my ADI-2 DAC, it's great.

Looking for some help on two matters please?:

1) I'm auditioning two streamers at the moment, moving away from my Yamaha WXC-50. One is the Auralic Aries G1 and I like this product. The HiFi Rose RS250 turned up yesterday, and whilst it has some 'funky' features, it does need running in to give it a fair comparison against the Auralic Aries G1.

https://us.auralic.com/products/aries-g1

https://eng.hifirose.com/RS250-info

The HiFi Rose RS250 is an MQA product, do I need to change any settings on my DAC to get the best out of it please?

2) Volume wise on the ADI-2, I keep the volume level to the upper end of the +7dBu - could I use the +13dBu volume range at all please?

Many thanks...

I would use a streamer with an optical output channel, so that any kind of lossless music can be send unaltered to the ADI-2 Pro or DAC (whatever you need/prefer).

This way the audio D/A conversion is only being performed one time in the ADI-2 DAC/Pro after Steadyclock took care to eliminate any jitter and the D/A conversion is being performed with the internal FS clock in optimum quality.

The ADI-2 DAC/Pro you can then connect either to a pre- or poweramp using its analog outputs.

Another thing is that those streamers will set the clock rate to the sample rate of the content.
But maybe you want to record some music in a common samplerate that is sufficient to you, maybe 44.1 or 48 or 96 kHz, whatever you prefert.

In this case it would be beneficial to get the ADI-2 Pro which has a Sample Rate Converter (SRC) builtin.
Then you can run a variable samplerate from the Streamer, whatever he just plays and to the computer with the recording software you can stay permanently on 44.1 or 96 kHz or whatever.

Please note that sample rate conversion to a higher sample rate does not improve sound, you only waste more space. But it could be a nice thing to consolidate to a common sample rate that all your recordings might have ...