Topic: [Solved] UFX: get signal In but no Output signal and sound comes out

Hello,

I turn on my keyboard and I can see the signal coming in on stereo channel 1/2 on the device but no Output signal is detected.

The same goes for the Total Mix as well... I can see the Keys signal on appropriate channels, but there are no output or headphones signal.

I just installed the latest driver and firmware on a new Windows 10. I didn't adjust or do anything to TottalMix settings. 
On Wİndows, I assigned RME (Speakers) for the output and Chn. 1/2 for the input. There is no output signal detected,
yet I get the input signal shown just fine.

This might be related or not :
I previously had the firmware installation problem and had to delete the firmware and resolved the issue with the emergency BIOS.

I painstakingly renewed my workstation due to the previous one's failure. After five long months of silence, I was so eager to get back to work, but now this... I am hopping that it is because I am doing something stupid but seems like I am out of luck...

Thank you for any help I can get.

Re: [Solved] UFX: get signal In but no Output signal and sound comes out

Unclear description. If you route the keyboard signal (Input row) to the analog output 1/2 (Hardware Output row) in TM FX (which is not default), do you get a signal then?

WDM doesn't route input to output, unless you start a software that does so.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry about that...
Okay, so you are saying that I have to manually rout the output?

The default routing: Input is assigned to Ch 1/2  and output is also assigned to Ch 1/2,
TotalMix's default setup and consequently that's also where my Keyboard's Audio cables are hooked up to...
And I can see the signal on Input Ch 1/2 when I play the Keys.

Yes, you have to do the routing.
In Totalmix click on the output channel AN1/2 (where your speakers are connected) and look at the fader of the input channel AN1/2 (where you see the signal from the keyboard), lift the fader of this input channel it will send audio to the output channel that you have clicked (activated) before.
Keyboard is now on the loudspeakers ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

5 (edited by cemster 2021-09-02 21:06:03)

Please tell me what's wrong with these setups?

Matrix View
Total-Mix-FX-Matrix-View
Mixer View
Total-Mix-Mixer-View
Windows Audio Setup
Windows-Audio-Setup

Thank you

I am not sure how to work those so here are direct links

https://ibb.co/0FZ3V42
https://ibb.co/WPCzbXR
https://ibb.co/mbk25Fw

In Totalmix menu Options / Reset Options / Total Reset
I would try this and do the routing again.

I think I did a Total Reset but it didn't change or delete the existing routing.

But I'd like to emphasize again: I didn't do anything to routing or settings. Everything was there by default. Except I added the hardware Ch 1/2

Sure you did something (and that was correct): you raised the input fader to activate the routing (that is not default).

The pics are helpful and show the routing is set correctly but not working. You mentioned firmware issues in post 1. What is the current firmware version on this unit? I expect this to be the issue.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Unfortunately, no firmware issues are detected. I successfully installed the latest firmware along with the latest divers/TME.

dsp-sw 360/163

Driver ver. 1.212

I will uninstall the driver and reinstall it again.
And I also will attempt to flash the firmware... I believe there is a newer one...

That firmware is the latest one. But I misread the thread title and thought you have an UFX II. If that is an old UFX it just might be defective and need service.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by cemster 2021-09-04 16:18:25)

I installed the TotalMix to a laptop and I managed to get the Keyboard's audio, but not Windows...
So two machines and seems like the hardware part does work. Yet the software audio doesn't.
Two systems, and separate PCs.

I'll try with another Laptop, a much better one, and see what happens there...

My new OS might be screwed up since the fader didn't really affect the unit. And the second laptop is an older one so...

I will know for sure with the third PC...

13 (edited by cemster 2021-09-08 12:37:06)

I couldn't try with a third PC yet but I did try with several OSs.

So now, I DO get the sound of the external Keyboard. (Hallelujah)

But I DON'T have the 'UFX - Windows' integration whatsoever...

Any ideas, tests, I can try before I send the unit out?

cheers

MC wrote:

WDM doesn't route input to output, unless you start a software that does so.

... or unless you configure an input as a playback device in the Windows audio settings.

cemster wrote:

But I DON'T have the 'UFX - Windows' integration whatsoever...

What "integration" exactly?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

15 (edited by cemster 2021-09-08 13:46:40)

Windows recognize the RME drivers when I install TotalMix so I can select the RME as my Playback/Record device in Windows
and TotalMix seems to be working. But I get no Audio or any signal coming from the PC.

That doesn't just happen automatically, as has been pointed out here.... Does playback of audio files work?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

17 (edited by cemster 2021-09-08 15:07:57)

Thank you Daniel,

But the answer is no! That's what I said: No Audio coming from PC.

I've been using this device for eight years now. So I do know how to activate a channel, and they are all assigned by default.
On the mixer, all the soft input faders come at "0 dB". I only had to raise the input Fader for the external keyboard.
Also, the routings in the 'X' view are all done by default. As I got confirmation which was also pointed out here.

You can check yourself here: https://ibb.co/0FZ3V42 - https://ibb.co/WPCzbXR - https://ibb.co/mbk25Fw

I already installed the latest ver like 4 times now and they always install as you see in those pictures.

In fact, one of the OS I tested on was a previously working system. When I unplugged the drive the audio was working fine.
The only thing I did was to instal the latest TotalMix so that it would match the firmware...

The only thing I can add, and I don't know if this was ever-present before: The values under the M/S (MUTE/SOLO) buttons are constantly changing, jumping from -07.5 to -110.07. Not specifically with those values but I mean huge jumps in value.
The only thing is that On the Headphones and Master when you bring the Faders all the way down the values go to "-00" and stop. On the other hand with channel faders, it doesn't matter where is the Fader is sitting.

cheers

18 (edited by waedi 2021-09-08 15:14:16)

In Totalmix in the middle row, is there any signal visible when something is played from the computer?

No, not at all... But I mentioned all that. "But I get no Audio or any signal coming from the PC."  Which would show on the second row...

20 (edited by waedi 2021-09-08 16:38:24)

Seems your Windows has not recognized / selected the interface as audio device for audio output.
is there a system preferences configuration option for system audio ?
And in the BIOS is onboard-audio disabled ?

21 (edited by cemster 2021-09-08 16:52:54)

But it does recognize the RNE drivers and all the inputs including AES, ADAT... I'll take it you are on MAC.

I've selected RME Speakers for the Windows output device in that configuration you mentioned (I believe).

I posted three pictures one of them shows that mentioned Windows configuration.
https://ibb.co/mbk25Fw

In some OS I tested with, it was not disabled but in the new OS I made they were never installed, so yes in that case.

But in Windows, you don't have to worry about other Audio drives as you select which one will be the primary Audio device, yourself.

Also, one of the OS I tested was my previous Studio setup, and when I unplugged it it was working fine...

22 (edited by ramses 2021-09-09 05:57:13)

waedi wrote:

And in the BIOS is onboard-audio disabled ?

Irrelevant, as windows sound card and recording interface can co-exist.
In Windows Sound settings you choose the default sound device for windows.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

23 (edited by cemster 2021-09-10 10:17:31)

So, I tried with an alternative UFX! A friend brought his UFX to try. Still can't get audio from Windows! It's maddening. 

I tried with three OSs. Am I getting dumber? I've never had any problems until my system had died... Until then I never had to do anything special. Install the driver/TotalMix and then all I had to do is turn the volume on. Riase a fader or two, that's it!

I am wondering if the new system has some compatibility issues? The UFX use to work like a charm with my previous system. And now with the new system it never has!

New platform (LGA 1200) New chipset (Z590) New Processor Gen 11 (i9-11900K) New MOBO (Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero Intel Z590 DDR4 5333 MHz (OC) Lga1200 AX) New Ram (Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 128GB (4 x 32GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16)

Would one of these be the problem?

I exhausted my options! What I can do differently?
I feel like an idiot and very unfortunate while being so fortunate to have all my equipment and all my wits... (Allegedly!)

Hello guys,

I feel really bad about what am about tı say here... But I am happy to report that the problem is solved.

I feel bad because it was a stupid solution and I made you guys work for nothing. "The Cable" But for my defense, I was using an exact replica of the first cable, matter of fact I bought them together, and the one that gave us so much grief was never used before... Same length, same brand,  I mean I am flabbergasted... So, the cable was good enough to connect the device, but not good enough to produce the sound! Weird! But it is a happy ending story.

Thank you so much for trying to help me out, you guys are great, I appreciated you...

Cheers
Cem

I have one question though...

I suppose I can upgrade the firmware now along with the drivers. Which one I should update first, the driver/software right?

Thank you

Doesn't matter. Also according to the above you were on the latest one already.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you. When we were on remote, we've downgraded the firmware while experimenting. But now it's up to date...

Now it's all working smile Thank God! I've been off for 5 months. (PC related)

Anyways, thank you all again and have a great day(S)...