1 (edited by HIFI 2021-09-13 14:46:47)

Topic: ADI2 DAC which fixed level should I choose for the power amplifier?

Hello.
I use the ADI2 DAC FS with a power amplifier by adjusting the volume on the ADI2 DAC FS.I don't know which fixed level +1 dBu, +7 dBu, +13 dBu, +19 dBu to choose for the best qualities!!!

Re: ADI2 DAC which fixed level should I choose for the power amplifier?

HIFI wrote:

Hello.
I use the ADI2 DAC FS with a power amplifier by adjusting the volume on the ADI2 DAC FS.I don't know which fixed level +1 dBu, +7 dBu, +13 dBu, +19 dBu to choose for the best qualities!!!

1st, There is no +19dBu, highest is +13dBu, that 6dBu difference is at the XLR output, XLR output always deliver 6dBu more than the RCA output.

2nd, decide which input of your Amp you want, RCA or XLR? check the manual of your Amp about the input level, if not available, assume RCA input is 2 volts, that equals to 8.23dBu, set it at 8dBu is safe and offer some headroom for Bass and Treble as well as Loudness. it is the same as in XLR input.

This link is a very good reference for you. https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 21#p161721

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

3 (edited by HIFI 2021-09-13 16:43:21)

1. Thank you, but there is no 8.23 dBu level specified by you in the ADI2 DAC, I do not understand where you got 8.23 dBu from.There is a close one there that is +7 dBu.Which I use as a reference level for the power amplifier(there is no volume control).And then I adjust the volume required at the moment with the ADI2 DAC controller.use the РСА.

4 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-09-13 17:02:06)

HIFI wrote:

1. Thank you, but there is no 8.23 dBu level specified by you in the ADI2 DAC, I do not understand where you got 8.23 dBu from.There is a close one there that is +7 dBu.Which I use as a reference level for the power amplifier(there is no volume control).And then I adjust the volume required at the moment with the ADI2 DAC controller.use the РСА.

2 volts equals to 8.23dBu, at the DAC, you select +7dBu plus 1dBr to get +8dBu for RCA input 2 volts requirement.

Read the link I provided, you can understand more about it.

:-)

p.s. https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_e.pdf
Page 62, position 31.12 Operation in the Hi-Fi Environment

In this application, best quality is achieved if you:

Switch on “Auto Reference Level“ and control the listening level with ADI-2 DAC’s volume control.

Look here for a detailed guide, “Case 2” is for you:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 21#p161721

6 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-09-13 17:43:32)

You said your power Amp without volume control, actually all power amps are without volume control, those can adjust comes with a pre-amp inside it.

Then the RME DAC serves you as the pre-amp, adjust the volume and enjoy, if it connect to the RCA input of your amp, the maximum and safe volume is 8dBu, and it brings your power amp to maximum loudness, I do not think you will listen at that level.

This is all I can advise as we do not know what brand and model of your power amp is.

7 (edited by KaiS 2021-09-13 17:47:03)

Johannes AU wrote:

You said your power Amp without volume control, actually all power amps are without volume control, those can adjust comes with a pre-amp inside it.

Then the RME DAC serves you as the pre-amp, adjust the volume and enjoy, if it connect to the RCA input of your amp, the maximum and safe volume is 8dBu, and it brings your power amp to maximum loudness, I do not think  you will listen at that level.

This is all I can advise as we do not know what brand and model of your power amp is.

A lot of power amps have input level controls, not meant to be used as Volume control (although I did this some time ago).

To fully drive a power amp (peak music level) usually a higher level then +8 dBu is needed.
Anyway, there is no “unsafe” level for a power amp.

Let ADI-2’s “Auto Reference Level” do it’s job, really!

KaiS wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:

Then the RME DAC serves you as the pre-amp, adjust the volume and enjoy, if it connect to the RCA input of your amp, the maximum and safe volume is 8dBu, and it brings your power amp to maximum loudness, I do not think  you will listen at that level.

A lot of power amps have input level controls, not meant to be used as Volume control (although I did this some time ago).

To fully drive a power amp (peak music level) usually a higher level then +8 dBu is needed.
Anyway, there is no “unsafe” level for a power amp.

Let ADI-2’s “Auto Reference Level” do it’s job, really!

KaiS, you are correct, I didn't mention about it because I do not what amp the OP is using, so prefer on the "safe" side.

On my Yamaha WXA-50, I did turn it to maximum and control the volume with the RME DAC, it was fun, now I didn't lock the output level.

Thank you all for your advice. smile

You might need attenuators to (theoretically) get the  most DR of the DAC. Check the above link about this option too!

+1 for Auto-Ref!!!

@Hifi.   Auto Ref is a wonderful functionality within the RME, and in my somewhat similar Use-Case, I wouldn't be without it.  Let AUTO-REF do the Math, and Heavy Lifting to ensure that you are enjoying an optimal Ref-Level setting.

Of course, there's always more to the Story, and depending on your Amp/Speaker sensitivity, the use of Attenuators may be beneficial, but that's another discussion. 

Auto-Ref is your Friend!

Best,

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

12 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-09-21 11:03:46)

Curt962 wrote:

+1 for Auto-Ref!!!

@Hifi.   Auto Ref is a wonderful functionality within the RME, and in my somewhat similar Use-Case, I wouldn't be without it.  Let AUTO-REF do the Math, and Heavy Lifting to ensure that you are enjoying an optimal Ref-Level setting.

Of course, there's always more to the Story, and depending on your Amp/Speaker sensitivity, the use of Attenuators may be beneficial, but that's another discussion. 

Auto-Ref is your Friend!

Best,

Curt

+2 for Auto-Ref !!

Thanks to this wonderful function and the help from friendly members like Curt, ramses, KaiS, ning, CrispyChips, and the strong support from RME, now I set my Amp to around 80% of its output and adjust the volume by the RME DAC, never have to care about the output level value, because I will never reach the 2 volts RCA limit of the Amp.

Enjoy the true sound of music by RME.