Topic: Adi2Pro and Hardware Mixing

Hello!
I am new to this hardware mixing thing and I think my question is pretty simple to solve(although I cant be 100% sure if I am right)

The thing is I want to send my mix to SSL Fusion for mastering,my Daw is Cubase and I am using External FX to achieve this goal,my send and return channel is all set to AES 1/2.

From what I am understanding now if Iwant to use External Plugin function in Cubase on my master channel,I have to turn the AES send/return volumn all the way down or I will hear the volumn multiple times(Cubase Master Channel + AES Send+AES return?Seems Cubase already down this send/return job for me),this can be easily achieved using Total Mix,but I only got ADI2Pro so……no luck here...

Please tell me is there a way to solve this situation?or is there anything I understood wrong?Thank you very much!

Re: Adi2Pro and Hardware Mixing

If you turn the volume down you will hear nothing.
All volume has to be up but not clipping.
The external effect should be an insert effect in the Cubase master channel.
you will only hear the return signal not the send signal.
If you want to hear the difference before and after effects, switch off the insert effect in the Cubase master channel.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by jaychoupp 2021-09-14 09:11:55)

waedi wrote:

If you turn the volume down you will hear nothing.
All volume has to be up but not clipping.
The external effect should be an insert effect in the Cubase master channel.
you will only hear the return signal not the send signal.
If you want to hear the difference before and after effects, switch off the insert effect in the Cubase master channel.

Thanks,I mention this only because I saw a guy on youtube did something similar:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbQfoKTaz_A&t=397s&ab_channel=DomSigalas

In this Video he turn down the AES In/Out in TotalMix,so he dont need to hear the same track twice.

So I think now because Adi2Pro dont use TotalMix so the Cubase External FX handle the routing completely?If I want to AB test original mix and mastered signal can I make a dedicated empty track and insert External FX on that track,then post send the original mix to that track,so I can choose to hear dry/wet signal by my will?

In TM FX you can create individual submixes per HW output.
So if your ADI-2 Pro is connected through AES out, then you only need to decide what you want to hear on that output.

If you send audio from Cubase to any of the outputs, then you will 1st see audio appear in the middle row, sw playbacks.
From here on TM FX works as a patch bay.
You select the HW output for the AES output channel in submix mode.
There you see the current routing from HW inputs and SW playbacks to this particular output.

So if you want to hear audio from cubase that appears in sw playbacks ANx/y or ADATx/y or AESx/y (doesn't actually matter at this point to where you sent audio from application perspective)
then you only need to raise the fader of that SW playback x/y and then voila you hear audio from Cubase.

You need to arrange now either in cubase what you send to where dry/wet.
But you can also arrange things in TM FX to mix dry/wet signal there.

If you have an external effect, then it's output will be connected to a HW input.
You can also route sound from there to any HW output.

TM acts like a patchback here, that you can send any audio to any output
- from HW inputs without latency (in near real-time)
- from SW playbacks with the usual RTL (round trip latency) through PCI/PCIe/FW/USB/...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

In TM FX you can create individual submixes per HW output.
So if your ADI-2 Pro is connected through AES out, then you only need to decide what you want to hear on that output.

If you send audio from Cubase to any of the outputs, then you will 1st see audio appear in the middle row, sw playbacks.
From here on TM FX works as a patch bay.
You select the HW output for the AES output channel in submix mode.
There you see the current routing from HW inputs and SW playbacks to this particular output.

So if you want to hear audio from cubase that appears in sw playbacks ANx/y or ADATx/y or AESx/y (doesn't actually matter at this point to where you sent audio from application perspective)
then you only need to raise the fader of that SW playback x/y and then voila you hear audio from Cubase.

You need to arrange now either in cubase what you send to where dry/wet.
But you can also arrange things in TM FX to mix dry/wet signal there.

If you have an external effect, then it's output will be connected to a HW input.
You can also route sound from there to any HW output.

TM acts like a patchback here, that you can send any audio to any output
- from HW inputs without latency (in near real-time)
- from SW playbacks with the usual RTL (round trip latency) through PCI/PCIe/FW/USB/...

Thanks!But Adi2Pro cant use TotalMix and I dont get another RME interface...so my problem is concentrated on this situation haha~

6 (edited by waedi 2021-09-14 16:35:04)

Don't let you confuse about faders up or down in Totalmix as you don't have Totalmix.
You have to do the routing all in Cubase VST connections.
If you do it the right way you will not hear any signals doubled, the guy in this video did something wrong in Totalmix and was weaseling out with a workaround (even worse).

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Misunderstanding, when I read AES 1/2 I thought he has a similar setup like me with recording interface and AES 1/2 refers to a port on the recording interface and this to be a TM FX routing question.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

8 (edited by jaychoupp 2021-09-15 07:10:59)

waedi wrote:

Don't let you confuse about faders up or down in Totalmix as you don't have Totalmix.
You have to do the routing all in Cubase VST connections.
If you do it the right way you will not hear any signals doubled, the guy in this video did something wrong in Totalmix and was weaseling out with a workaround (even worse).

Oh!Then it seems only Adi2Pro and some cables can handle my need perfectly if I do the routings right in Cubase?

Actually the more I saw this video the more I am confused because firstly he used analog IO as example(that make sense because we are doing ”analog“ mixing out of the box now……)then he changed his IO settings in Cubase and using ADAT instead,how can an analog gear directly receive ADAT signal without converting involved?

Then I checked my plan and realized I want to use Adi2Pro's AES to send/receive analog signal...same problem here……

So I think Ive got something wrong here...but I dont know which part……