Topic: DTS+AC3 passthrough not working or am I too dumb?

I want to pass DTS+AC3 signals through the RME.

Source connected via USB - Target connected via optical or coax SPDIF:
In USB Mode I set sample rate to 48 kHz and the RME ADI 2 pro FS as standard device but any player I tried refuses to pass DTS or AC3 to the RME. So I guess Windows does not recognise the RME as a DTS or AC-3 capable device. It "only" routed a stereo signal from USB to SPDIF out. In Digi through Mode nothing arrives (optical out set to SPDIF)

Source connected via optical SPDIF - Target connected via optical or coax SPDIF
Then I tried feeding the RME with a DTS signal via SPDIF in and routing in Digi through mode to SPDIF out (48kHz set tried SPDIF clock or internal clock). The RME unit recognised that there was a "non Audio" signal present on the SPDIF in but didn´t route anything to SPDIF out.

Everything stereo works flawlessly.

Am I missing something? Many thanks

Re: DTS+AC3 passthrough not working or am I too dumb?

Source connected via USB - Target connected via optical or coax SPDIF, USB Mode
Did you change the ADI-2 Pro to Multichannel mode and selected the digital SPDIF output? Looks like you try to convince Windows to send a digital signal out of a device that is called 'Analog 1/2'.

Source connected via optical SPDIF - Target connected via optical or coax SPDIF
Feeding a signal with Non-audio indication will mute the signal already at the receiver, so even in Digital Through Mode there is no audio at the digital output. Remember that the unit is always a DAC as well. You could listen to this signal at the analog outputs, which won't be a pleasant experience.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ozorfis 2021-09-15 06:38:15)

You nailed it again MC. I was indeed in Stereo Mode. Now I have the SPDIF and AES channels available - seems like a major leap forward. Thank you very much!

However now Windows keeps telling me both devices (AES and SPDIF) were in use by some program, when I want to test DTS/DD capability in the win sound manager (hence passthrough also does not work yet). Closing all programs, turning on/off, uninstalling, restarting hasn´t helped so far with that. But I will test some more from here.

Edit: Just tested with my Win10 laptop and got the same result: DD+DTS test on SPDIF and AES results in "Audio device is in use..." 48kHz stereo works on both pcs on both channels......

Same here. We have to check our driver...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

AC-3 and DTS digital playback now works in driver 0.9736:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … _09736.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by ozorfis 2021-09-21 05:38:13)

I am impressed with the speed and dedication. I can confirm it works and sounds flawlessly with the updated driver.

Thank you very much!

Edit: funny how the title was true in both ways wink