Topic: DUREC - Unable to record more than 99 files?

First post here - I’m hoping someone else has run into this issue and can help out!

I’m finding that with DUREC I can only record 99 files. I can record files UFX01_00 through to UFX99_00 with no issues, but when I’m about to hit the triple digits, the record button stops working.

I’m using a Fireface UFX2, with a 1tb SSD hard drive - currently 924Gb free, 0 errors.

On the Fireface display I get ‘File: no more File’. Within TotalMix, i can hit the rec button, but unless I delete existing files it won’t actually begin recording.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

C

Re: DUREC - Unable to record more than 99 files?

You did not record 99 files as such, but performed 99 recordings (where each one can have up to 99 files). Yes, that is a limit of the system. As you still have lots of space these files/sessions must be quite short, or consist only of a few channels. DURec can address only numbers 01 up to 99, as mentioned in the manual and can be seen by the naming scheme.

I haven't checked that but it might already be enough to move all old recordings into a folder on that drive. Otherwise simply move them to a different storage media.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

Thanks the quick response here, and apologies i've taken so long to respond myself!

Just to confirm, the workaround you've suggested here - moving recorded files into a folder - does work, and I am then able to record additional files to the hard drive.

I think that i'm perhaps using DURec in a slightly different way to how it was intended. I'm using it to capture short(ish) sessions while writing / demoing, and i'm finding it really useful to hit record and immediately capture anything I have connected to the interface on separate tracks, without loading up a DAW.

I'd be interested to know why the record limit is set to 99 (it feels quite arbitrary, unless i've misunderstood the intent?), and if it would be something that would be likely to change in future updates?

Thanks again for your help!

Charlie

PS - responding from a new account here as I can't seem to login or reset password on any of the other accounts I created to respond to this post!

charlien4 wrote:

I'd be interested to know why the record limit is set to 99 (it feels quite arbitrary, unless i've misunderstood the intent?), and if it would be something that would be likely to change in future updates?

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 66#p175466

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for linking this thread Ramses - looks like lots of useful info in there.

Just to clarify how i'm using DURrec at the moment - i'm essentially recording 99 less than 10 minute multitrack WAV files, which might contain something like 2 - 4 active channels / tracks. (e.g. guitar, vocals, drum machine, reverb)

I'm slightly confused by Mattias' comment in the other thread:

'I have to point out that this 100 file limit is for an ongoing recording. Who needs more? Every time you start a new recording the counter also starts again at 0.'

For me, the counter increments each time I start a new recording, and it would be useful to record more than 100 files (although the workaround posted above is fine too).

I find DURec super useful as a hard disk recorder, that I can just hit record on the UFX in my rack to begin a new take and capture everything without having a PC/DAW session up and running. I'm also using the UFX as part of a mobile recording rig (running totalmix on an iPad), to capture drum takes outside of the studio. I could totally leave DURec running for a bunch of takes,  but i'd then end up with loads of unwieldy WAV files to process - so in terms of workflow, being able to record more than 100 takes would be useful (i'm not a great drummer, haha).

Hopefully someone will tell me if i'm using DURec in a totally wacky way though!

The DURec filenames are generated according to the following pattern (example UFX+):

UFX04_00 .. UFX04_99

So one recording consists of the base track, e.g. UFX04_00 and it can become 2GB long.
This recording can have up to 99 extensions (UFX04_01 .. UFX04_99).
If you record only a few I/O ports of your recording interface, then you consume less storage,
which means such a 2GB wave file contains a longer record.
But in total one recording can consist of 100 of these 2GB files.

And if you stop a recording and start a new one, then the file name becomes incremented to
e.g. UFX05_00 and this file can have again 99 more extensions up to UFX04_99

I assume in total 100 recordings until this filename is being reached:
UFX99_00 .. UFX99_99

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The pont is that DURec was not intended to capture many short recordings, but long time recordings with many channels When DURec was introduced there was a need for a simple, slim, stable and reliable multichannel (!) record solution. That's what ist is. No editing, no overdubs etc. There exist tons of software that can do that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME